• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Road to Nothing: Vancouver to Houston

Reaction score
In due time I must travel from Vancouver BC, where I have been living for the past year, to Houston TX. In this thread I shall make an account of this journey.

First, allow me to introduce your humble servant:

l_b3d735f1c49044ff81682e8f4ae9843c.png

It is not necessary, for the purpose of this trip, that you know much about him. Suffice it to say, that he is 27 years old, and a native of Southern California. He is a solitary animal, as demanded we can suppose by a trip like this.

Second, his humble servant:

l_ad70cf7d0dcbdc70d7739284d0a1e457.png

l_5cd125c09c7196b5d1e1e7681e89c9f0.png

l_d5da008f08a58a5bb9c2f07fa8457d30.png

A 2004 Yamaha R6, with about 33,000 miles on its heart, it was purchased from fremontcycle.com with 20,000 miles and a salvaged title when the protagonist was living in the San Francisco Bay Area last year. It has seen (at least) two track days and three crashes.

I have affixed on the bike stickers signifying the countries and US States that I have ridden a motorcycle in. The count, so far, is (the US, of course) Mexico, Canada, California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. Allow me to make clear, that these are not necessarily places that I have ridden this particular motorcycle.

My intentions are to travel light. This is somewhat troubled by the fact that, on account of my inclinations toward frugality, I have decided to camp along the way instead of staying at Motels. With this in mind, allow me to make account of the things I will take along with me. First, there are the things I will carry in a set of saddlebags:

l_a0f9f242fd2a50f4a6fe85e569f28248.png

In one bag I am taking some items I need for basic maintenance. These items include a foot pump, air gauge, rubber gloves, duct tape, zip-ties, and a can of WD40. The two black blocks of wood, which have been sprayed with rubber truck bed liner to prevent rotting, I use to lift up the bike via the swingarm spools so that I can perform chain maintenance. Also shown is a can of Dupont Multi-Purpose Teflon Lube, which I use as a chain lubricant, and is a miracle in modern chemistry. I must also transport two other cans of this product, which are left over from the year. Finally, I am carrying three breakaway rain ponchos.

On the other side I am transporting some camping supplies. There is a yellow extension cord, a BBQ lighter, and some charcoal. It is my intention to leave this bag mostly empty, so that before I get to the campground I can stop at a market and pick up some food.

l_827479824b2f03917cee4f9218fa4baf.png

Inside the tailsection of the r6 I am stowing away some tools. I can do most things with these tools alone, save basically anything that requires removal of the tires. If such a situation occurs, in any event, I have purchased some roadside assistance insurance from KOA. In the tail I am also transporting a small zip-lock bag with some fuses, some electrical wire if need be, and some JB-Weld.

l_3de86c1ca49772f9bd7d0b9ba6e741fe.png

Finally, I have a tailbag, in which I will transport my laptop, camera, mobile, clothes, and toiletries. Secured to the tailbag and the bike using the red tie-downs and cargo net, will be my sleeping bag and tent, a sheet of blue tarpaulin, and a small grill, for cooking. On my back will be a backpack, with nothing inside except for important documents which I dare not ship.

l_ad097e241c9701aa8932afee17589028.png

This is the route I will take from Vancouver to Houston. It is not the direct route suggested by google, which should take 2500 miles. However, I want to pass through Yellowstone, which adds an extra 300 or so miles to my trip. This should take me 8-10 days to cover, if I commit to 300-400 miles of riding every day, and allowing some time for sight-seeing.

With this opportunity, I therefore wish to warn the reader, that these notes shall not only be an account of my progress through the road, but they shall also be an account of myself. Throughout my trip, I will assume only one thing, about myself, about others, and about the world. Namely, that there is only Nothing.

Do not be alarmed, as a result, if what you read is as I speak on the streets and the markets, for I shall not try to cover the truth with flowery and bombastic speech. For I am not an accomplished speaker, unless if one were to call someone who speaks the truth accomplished. Nevertheless, what I can conclude from my basic assumption, that Nothing exists, I shall proclaim with confidence. Whatever else there is I shall treat with suspicion if not contempt.

I depart on June 13, 2008. My goal on the first day, has not been decided. I may make it short, and stay in Seattle, or I may ride out until I reach the East end of the state of Washington. I look forward to that day, as much as one can I suppose.

Have a great trip, ride safe, and take pics when you can.

Since I am unsaddled, and sadly unsaddled, I have avoided reading most ride and trip reports. Why torture myself.

Regardless, out of sheer boredom and a break from writing on Texas forts, I did a quick perusal of this subsection and your thread caught my attention. Because of the title, my curiosity was tickled. I was interested in something more than just "I went from Point A to Point B". A ride can be an adventure. Adventures are made of stories. Do I sense something here?

You comment that you are not an "accomplished speaker." That is okay; many aren't. I'm a terrible speaker; I am a writer. Thus far, your first post has captivated me for several reasons. It says much without being spoken or even written. A trait of a good writer.

As for truth (with or without a capital 'T'): truth is relative.

I await your next installment. And to read your impressions of Yellowstone.

"Believe those who are seeking truth. Doubt those who find it."
- André Gide

sounds like a Dau De Jing book, to read along the way, might help you focusing in on what needs explaining, for the rest of us mere mortals?

I just hope for you're sake you're not permanently relocating to Houston. I might slit my wrists if I had to move from Vancouver BC to Houston.

Looking forward to the report.

I'm equally as intrigued as the others on your upcoming trip. Sounds like it will be a lot more than a simple "road" trip for you. Keep us updated on your travel plans!

I to am intrigued! I am also befuddeled about the Kansas, Oklahoma, I-35 stint. A poorer choice of road could only be I-10 through Louisianna! Why not the back bone of America and ride the Rockies South?:rider:

I too am intrigued, and also taking an adventure this summer, though mine will not cover as much distance as yours nor start as soon. Keep us updated.

You are leaving a NICE area... to go to Houston ..

I have been up to BC before in the shuswap lake area. It is a great place to ride.

Keep the rubber side down!

Clyde

Thank you all for your replies. To answer some questions, yes I really leaving Vancouver to live in Houston. However, it was never meant that I would be staying in Vancouver permanently, as is the case for Houston. As to my route, I considered riding the Rockies due South, but then I figured that I would highly likely ride through that area in the future. This is less the case for Kansas and Oklahoma, so I chose the route accordingly.

Tomorrow morning I leave Canada. This first day will be short; I will only travel to Seattle as I have some matters to attend to there. Allow me to apologize, in advance, if I do not respond to comments. Anyways, I am sure I don't need to explain to anyone here about the demands of being on the road.

...I am sure I don't need to explain to anyone here about the demands of being on the road.

Nope, we understand with one requirement.

Take lots of pictures and post them!

Ride safe. When you get to Houston, look us up and stop by for one of the many bike nights around town....

Godspeed on your trip, look forwarding to hearing you made it to houston safe.

When I was a boy, I shut myself in a dark room, and I thought of Nothing. That is, I attempted to experience what nonexistence would feel like. So I shut my eyes, even in the darkness, and I cleared my mind. I felt my body slip away, and as soon as I began to feel the emptiness, my senses became acute and I began to feel again. So my experiment was doomed, even from the start, and so I learned that Nothing was beyond us, because our minds have become accustomed to the world.

l_1c250ed7353c13153af3e0812480b226.png

I don't intend to take a picture of my speedometer at every stop I make, but I did want to make a record at the beginning and the end of my trip. There is something final about a blank slate, a new beginning.

l_f50b59494547cda4ad3f915599dacbad.png

l_1c115d82bb95d944aa2c43c495504f98.png

The pitfalls of touring on a supersport; yes sure, I can barrel down the interstate at 150 miles and hour, dragging knees around the turns. However, the time saved riding like a maniac is eaten up loading and unloading the bike at every stop.

So I rode straight to Seattle, and I only made three stops. I have spent ample time in Seattle since I have been here, this made me rather disinterested in stopping to take photos. First, I stopped at White Rock, which is close to the US border in Canada:

l_c51003786ddf7f4e2ef116875a85b595.png

l_20e32aa0a369d16c94f2ed9fdd6ccecd.png

l_0b6c92fa4fd21864a2f65079143a5d4f.png

l_ae2654017e90a6bd5aa59e017b7167d4.png

The point of this small town, is the rather large - er - white rock that is on the beach. It is some strange mixture of glacial quartz and something the rather. It is rather impressive, I suppose. But I didn't spend much time here, and made my way to the border:

l_2894243d531dfaae589ee0113fb326d7.png

These are called the "Peace Arches." I am no stranger to crossing borders, growing up ten miles to the Mexico border I crossed the "frontera" countless of times. I was on the other hand amply dissapointed to learn that crossing the US-Canada border is far more annoying than crossing the US-Mexico border. Primarily because in the former there is a checkpoint going bothways, where as in the latter Mexico welcomes one no questions asked (other than maybe, will you please spend your dollars here?).

Seattle is quite a distance from the border, about 100 miles. The ride is primarily uneventful, at least for the local seasoned rider. Although the region is replete with a remarkable beauty. I felt quite rushed, because I wanted to have lunch at arguably the best taqueria I have found this North and West of the Mason-Dixon line:

l_56a56aa31077a7a37b684101c95a1386.png

l_8634a1cd97353eb3db06199db7faa6ee.png

That is three tacos al pastor, naturally. This is my major grip about Canada, people would sometimes tell me "I don't like Mexican food, on account of all of the cheese." No mind, I ate heartily and made my way to the space needle:

l_90fd5498bb363c422bbcbe1388f90275.png

This is the only picture I took of it, if you want a better one I suggest google in any case. Next, I went to the Farmer's Market, very nearby:

l_c4e1c682a32ed6977031a952fc37e57a.png

l_1db1296537b4c8444249b97cac014d1a.png

l_77cddddbdbf9cc42ea8bf7fe092fa417.png

As one can see, it is quite busy even for a thursday afternoon. One can get a very good plate of fish and chips here- but I did not stop. I was in Seattle for New Year's already, and had more than my fair share of fish and chips.

I am not staying in dowtown Seattle, primarily because of my frugal disposition. I am not camping either, actually, on account of a matter I have to attend to. Instead, I booked a room at probably the dumpiest motel in the Seattle-Tacoma area:

l_94f6d932cf347d1fcb0b57328c63821a.png

It is not the fact that the place is a dump, or that my room is on a postage stamp, it is the fact that this was nearly 80 dollars for one night which irks me. Nevermind.

When I arrived at the motel, the receptionist informed me that the cleaning lady was still attending to my room, but that she would be done in five minutes. Nevermind, in fact, as I had to unload my bike in any case. While I was unloading, the cleaning lady came out and informed me that the room was ready, I thanked her and began to chit-chat with her.

"So the guy before me was a real pig?" I asked.

"Oh my, yes" she replied.

"It is amazing what pigs some people become when they are staying at a place they don't have to clean up at."

"Oh yeah, what some people have dirtied up in an hour it would take me months to do" she firmly claimed. I mention this conversation because it foreshadows an upcoming incident.

So with my possessions off of my bike and into the room, I decided to perform some quick chain maintenance, and lightly relube the chain. In case you are curious, how the deal with the two blocks of wood works, this is how:

l_531aff486ac0e338c81ed2cdd6460027.png

When I was done, I walked towards my room, and I came across a rather curious looking woman.

"Nice bike" she said.

"Oh yeah, thanks," I sheeply replied.

"So, do you want to play, do you have any money?"

Play? What am I, five, I thought. "This reminds me, I need to go to the ATM," I said to her. She stared at me with great confusion. As I walked up the stairs I realized that I had just been propositioned.

l_75e253422c00086e37a791eea9c11f71.png

With this in mind, I leave you with the Seattle skyline, as seen from La Hacienda. I intend, in future stops, to write more. However, I have a matter to attend to, a legal one I assure you of that.

Your references have some of us intrigued, I'm sure, but it is your own business.
On the other hand, maybe all Canadians have lactose intolerance?

Wondering......if your business did not require you to ride into Seattle, would you have? Just curious.

I had to laugh at the way you were propositioned. They are not known for their creativity.:mrgreen:

Safe journey.

Likely the rotten hotel you stayed at is a hangout for prostitutes and johns.

Keep 'em coming. :popcorn:

glad to hear you have made it thus far unscathed. keep the writes up coming and keep the rubber side down.

"Empty Set" "Road to Nothing"

Pessimist much? :)

I was very intrigued by your initial report & your writing is excellent. I will be following your thread.

Best of luck & keep the rubber between the ditches.

Back