• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Vintage MC site with early suzuki models

Interesting read on the RE5 development roundabout. Funny translation "RE5 is the first prototype of a devious attempt lightly" ? Knew Yamaha had a wankle prototype but didn't know Honda and Kawasaki had them as well.

reproducing some of those pictures, from table 15

hondawankelrq5.jpg

kawasakiwankelxq9.jpg

yamahawankelrs1.jpg

the rotary story is difficult to tell, and full of speculation.
one common understanding, is the GS model line benefited greatly from the research during rotary development. the GS750 becoming a truly great motorcycle, (but not worth much in todays market), and comparing engine design to the gsf, the simplicity of the central cam chain and crankshaft end mounted generator can be seen in the bandit.

I'm a big fan of the early GS series. My first street bike was a good used '78 GS750. I still think it was one of the best looking and performing bikes of the period. Would like to find another to add to the stable.

Back