• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Proper way to store gasoline in home garage

Reaction score
Because my enduro has an itty-bitty gas tank (1 gal) and I don't want to go to the gas station every other day (every day sometimes), I have to keep a five-gallon metal gas can (jerry can) inside the garage. Does the 5-gal gas can need to have a pressure relieve valve? Mine does not have one. I found some can today with spring acted pressure relieve valve, which was being advertised as a safety feature. Again, in case you forgot, is it safe to store gas in my 5-gal metal gas can without a pressure relieve valve?

I just want to make sure; my garage gets really hot in the summer time. I really don't want an explosion in my garage.

I guess I could store the can outside, but, then, it would rust.
Thanks!

Or you could get a plastic vented 5 gallon can.

I wouldn't worry about needing to vent the tank. It won't build up that much pressure. Just open it outside to keep the fumes out of the garage.

Or you could leave the cap a little loose so it wont seal.

Or you could get a plastic vented 5 gallon can.

I didn't get the plastic ones because it was labeled "not for use on automobile" and "not to be transported" or something to that effect.

I notice the plastic can that I use for my lawn mower does not have a pressure relieve valve either.

I would think letting it vent fumes in the garage would be a greater hazard to explosion. Given enough time, you could reach the lower explosive limit of fumes and the motor in your automatic garage door opener could create a spark and ignite it all. A gas water heater could be another ignition source.

Keep it in a DOT approved can. Keep it closed. Keep it away from flame and heat sources.

Get one of these Kolpin cans with the bracket and mount it on the little bike. Then you have an extra gallon and a half with you wherever you go. I have one on my XR instead of the after market large tank. It extends the range considerably. It has had no issues with fumes or pressure while in my garage.

Attachments

• 89725_FuelPkJrBkt_small.jpg
    89725_FuelPkJrBkt_small.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,390
Get one of these Kolpin cans with the bracket and mount it on the little bike. Then you have an extra gallon and a half with you wherever you go. I have one on my XR instead of the after market large tank. It extends the range considerably. It has had no issues with fumes or pressure while in my garage.

With gas prices the way they are and the high cost of gas cans, an expensive gas can strapped to the back of a bike that is in a parking lot won't be there for long.

Are plastic cans legal? All the plastic cans that I've seen saids "not for automotive use" bla-bla-bla. So, I thought only metal cans are legal.

I didn't get the plastic ones because it was labeled "not for use on automobile" and "not to be transported" or something to that effect.

You're not using "ON" an automobile. You're using it in your garage. They mean don't fill it up and then drive all over the country with it. A plastic gas can rolling around in the back of a pick up or car will build static electricity and static electricity and gas fumes don't mix very well for most folks. You can use the same gas can to fill your lawnmower AND your bike in the garage.

I would think letting it vent fumes in the garage would be a greater hazard to explosion. Given enough time, you could reach the lower explosive limit of fumes and the motor in your automatic garage door opener could create a spark and ignite it all. A gas water heater could be another ignition source.

Keep it in a DOT approved can. Keep it closed. Keep it away from flame and heat sources.

+1 I was a volunteer fireman for 3-4 years. Gas[volatile liquids] stored INSIDE a home/garage NOT a good idea. Ask your local fire department folks for some storage ideas. They may be willing to show you a video or 2 of what happens with improper storage.

Since you're a volunteer firefighter can you toss us some ideas? I've been using a 5 gal plastic tank in the garage for the last 2 yrs. Fill it up about twice a yr and so far so good. I keep it near the front of the garage door, away from the water heater and ground myself before handling it.

I use this for the bikes and lawnmower. Easy to use, thick plastic and has a pop off type vent it pressure gets too high. I have never had my vent pop off and I keep it at the front of the garage out of the sun.
I don't have a water heater in my garage either.

Attachments

• 5galgascan.jpg
    5galgascan.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,314
I've never had a problem with any gas can, plastic or metal, being stored in my garage. I just keep them out of the sun, off the floor, and closest to the garage door/furthest away from the water heater.

I've never had a problem with any gas can, plastic or metal, being stored in my garage. I just keep them out of the sun, off the floor, and closest to the garage door/furthest away from the water heater.

Ditto ... 57 years now counting living at home with my parents ...

Concern is good, but knowledge is better ...

Just don't do anything silly like clean parts in a garage with the door closed.

It wasn't the smartest thing I have ever done, but I have put out cigarettes in gas before. Timing is everything.

Keep the container sealed. Metal or plastic is fine. Do not use a glass container for obvious reason of possible breakage. The vapor will not build enough pressure to rupture a plastic container designed for use with gasoline. Gasoline tankers are only designed for 6 psi IIRC and will only vent if exposed to an external heat source like a fire. If you have a water heater, gas or electric, in the garage it should be on a platform that is 2 feet above floor level. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air so any vapors that should accidentally escape the container (not sealed for some reason or when working on a vehicle) will settle to the floor. I leave my garage door cracked open about an inch along the bottom just to allow some air circulation. Helps with the heat some also. ;-) If you are still concerned, store your gasoline in a small shed in the back yard with your lawn equipment.

My garage door has a pretty large built-in crack already. I think I'll keep the can next to the garage door. The water heater is on the opposite end of the garage, far away from the can. I notice my water heater (electric) is sitting directly on the floor--no raised platform. Can an electric water heater ignite gasoline vapors? Should I raise the water heater? It looks like a lot of work to to do.

On another topic, I was in a hurry the other day and over filled the gas tank on my enduro. Gas came flowing out of the tank and onto the floor. Because the gas can is so heavy, I couldn't react fast enough. I'm glad the engine was cold.

Can an electric water heater ignite gasoline vapors? Should I raise the water heater? It looks like a lot of work to to do.

Typically electric water heaters present less hazard to igniting volatile fumes. There is no open flame although there is potential for a spark when the unit switches on or if there is an electrical short.

On another topic, I was in a hurry the other day and over filled the gas tank on my enduro. Gas came flowing out of the tank and onto the floor. Because the gas can is so heavy, I couldn't react fast enough. I'm glad the engine was cold.

If you plan to refuel at home, you may want to consider something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=6498

you could leave the cap a little loose so it wont seal.

Don't do that, fumes will easily get out out and water vapor in. Improperly sealed containers of flammable liquid are a bad idea. Unless there is a fire, the amount of pressure build up in the can shouldn't be enough to burst an "approved" gasoline container.

I've kept two gas containers in the garage for years, one 1 gallon container for the two-smoke lawn equip and one 5 gallon container for everything else. Never had any problems with fumes. I also have 3 bikes with vented gas tanks. I open the containers and refuel outside of the garage in case of a fuel spill.

I am no longer in the department so can't speak to the latest cautions. Some have said use an "approved plastic/metal container. good. also NOT leaving cap loose to help with venting. good. Not fueling inside, good. Storing inside garage, BAD. Is garage attched to home? BAD. Outside shed for storage, good. I again say, ask your local fire department to stop by for a "safety" check. Firemen are HAPPY to do this for free. A safe home/structure is one LESS fire they have to put out! Also consider outside shed for paints, solvents, etc. Again, ask the FD to give your place the once over[they also spot other stuf that can compromise YOUR safety]
Hope this helps. BTW, I fought a fire in a fully involved home. You have no idea how SCARRY and fearing for ones life it is!! I kept telling my hose man we gotta get out[creaking overhead had me worried]. 30 seconds outside and the entire roof collapsed!
Wally
PS: scared the organic fertilizer outta me!!

Light switches are another possible ignition source. Automatic door openers, too, and any power tool or any other electric motor, such as a washing machine or dryer. Fortunately, most garage doors don't seal well enough for vapors from a sealed can to build up. Most carbs and gas tanks are vented and rarely release enough vapors to be a problem in a garage. Keep in mind that gasoline vapors don't have to be strong enough to smell before they will ignite.

Light switches are another possible ignition source. Automatic door openers, too, and any power tool or any other electric motor, such as a washing machine or dryer. Fortunately, most garage doors don't seal well enough for vapors from a sealed can to build up. Most carbs and gas tanks are vented and rarely release enough vapors to be a problem in a garage. Keep in mind that gasoline vapors don't have to be strong enough to smell before they will ignite.

Ken..... and gasoline safety...... oh this is too good.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :giveup:

I leave my garage door cracked open about an inch along the bottom just to allow some air circulation.

You do that around here and you'll come home to an empty garage and house.

They love to jam a hi-lift jack in there and open your garage door for you. Neighbors had that happen last summer.

I keep a small 2 gallon plastic can for my mower in my garage. The hot water heater and such are not in the garage. I personally don't have a back yard or any outside storage area, so the garage it is. My bike also vents off anytime it's above about 85 degrees outside.

Don't forget to use Stabil to keep the gas from seperateing. Burp tne can periodically.

I've never had a problem with metal or the plastic ones I use now. The plastic will expand good enough for heat expansion in the shop or garage. But then I only open them outside or with the doors open to fill the lawn mowers or generator.
15 years back when we redid the partially enclosed carport we had to lift the gas water heater 18" off the floor to meet with fire codes. I don't know what it is in other cities / states, etc. But we don't store any flammables there anymore anyhow being as I have a separate shop and separate garage now.
Doing a fine job of getting rid of all the grass in my back yard ;-).....

Back