TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > Texas Adventure Rider's Assoc.

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #1
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

MexTrek 2008 is in the history books now and it's time to start the ride report. Like any event of this size, it contained a lot of varied elements - good, bad, and just plain ol' ugly. Here's some stuff to get the party started.

The Good

The scenery

The riding

The locals

The Bad

Having to wear the party hat

Picking up your bike after a fall

The Ugly

The only thing between you and certain disaster? Duct tape

More to come...

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

www.texasadventure.net
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: MexTrek 2008 - the good, the bad, & the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
The only thing between you and certain disaster? Duct tape
The Mummy is ALIVE!!!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #3
Rick M
Forum Supporter

Man I was worried about going to Mexico and I had a blast . Crossing the border either way is the only kind of bad part ,other than that it is a great experience.
I would like to thank Richard and Milton for all there help,they helped everyone figure out where to go and what to do . And thanks to Roberto for riding with us and being out translator that was almost like cheating .
Rick M
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06930.JPG (61.2 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06937.JPG (61.5 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06942.JPG (61.4 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06957.JPG (62.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC06964.JPG (60.5 KB, 120 views)
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
Gone D

The food was really fresh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5694.jpg (70.0 KB, 210 views)
Gone D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Gone D

Finally, something more versatile than the KLR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5698.jpg (70.8 KB, 123 views)
Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
Gone D

This Wee preferred the truck bed over the road bed to Mt. Potosi.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5651.jpg (64.2 KB, 176 views)
Old 10-27-2008, 12:08 AM   #7
Vinny
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revog View Post
This Wee preferred the truck bed over the road bed to Mt. Potosi.
I knew that was going to come back to bite me
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
DaWhip

Looks like fun. Wish I could have made it. I got a call from Matt a he said he didnt feel like coming back to the states yet and he is headed for costa rica. As long as he doesn't loose my center stand along the way.... Your KLR do all that you asked it to do Richard?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #9
mff

Had a great Time! Mucho Gracias to Richard, Milton, Jerry, Dave, Floyd and to all, that helped make this happen.
As for the pic above- this young lady was looking for "UNCLE" and since he didn't make it- I had to fill in!
Hope you are feeling better Roger- it's a hard job to fill your shoes- hurry back!
Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWhip View Post
Your KLR do all that you asked it to do Richard?
It sure did. I rode a lot of class 3 roads this time around and it handled them very well.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

www.texasadventure.net
Old 10-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #11
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser

My group was trailering to McAllen, TX on Tuesday evening to get our Mexico paperwork done and then overnight at a local motel so that Wednesday morning at 9 a.m. we could head for Galeana as quick as the law would allow.

This plan sounded good to some of the other riders and plans were made to link up Wed morning in the parking lot of the McAllend Motel 6.

Milton, Ductape Dave (formerly Dirtbike Dave but we changed his name to Ductape Dave for reasons that will be obvious later), and I teamed up on Tuesday afternoon and headed out.

Bikes loaded, Dave and Milton ready to go

"...teamed up on Tuesday afternoon and headed out" sounds so simple, doesn't it? There is actually a good little story about our link up plans. Here's the deal - last year, Milton's KLX had significant bike problems on the way back from Galeana. He managed to coax it to Laredo where it finally fired for the last time. He eventually abandoned the bike in Laredo and caught a bus home to Austin. The next weekend he and I went and fetched his KLX from Laredo, hauled it back to Austin, dropped it off in his garage and it has sat, non-operational, every since.

On Monday morning, the day before our scheduled departure, my phone rings.

Milton: Rich, I need your advice.
Rich: Okay, what's up?
Milton: I need a bike to ride to Mexico and I found a DRZ400 in Dallas. I could fly up there this morning and ride it back.
Rich: Is the bike in good shape?
Milton: Yes.
Rich: How will you get it across the border without a title in your name?
Milton: I'll have the guy sign the title over to me and use that.
Rich: Think that will work?
Milton: Maybe. Hopefully. Who knows - it's Mexico.
Rich: Okay, that sounds good. Go get that bike.

So, that's what Milton did. He flew to Dallas, bought the bike and rode it back to Austin, arriving Monday night around 8:30 p.m. I wasn't at all certain that they would let him in with just the title signed over to him, but it beat the alternative of him not going. It was worth a try. And if all else failed, maybe he could pay a "special tax" or something...

Milton's new ride

Milton's luck held, they let him & his new hotness in, and life was good.

Milton is always good for an extra dose of adventure. I love riding with him because of it, too.

www.texasadventure.net
Old 10-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #12
owtcast

Even with a stock tank. Wow. Did you guys do a lot of fuel transfering?
Looks like ya'll had a lot of fun. I knew that trip would spin off some good pics and reports.

Terry
owtcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:32 AM   #13
Pinklloyd

Thank you to the organizers! Great pavement and dirt trip. Cheap and sweet. No damage to the KLR or my body. I enjoyed meeting so many of you and look forward to riding with you guys again. Mike, I did not see you get the "brazo" that you certainly deserved. She is a cutie. Having her in your picture put you up a category. You made the "bad" list instead of the "ugly" list of photos. Best rgds to the rest of th guys that I rode with Webfoot, Cotton, Jeff, Primo, Waylon, Jerry, Meelton, Pharrside, the Odessa brothers. I hope I didn't miss anyone.
I met some guys from La Feria also but did not get the names at the plaza on the last nite. Lets get together and ride south. I have my permit open for another 5 months. I know plenty of scenic pavement routes close buy for short 3 day trips from our neck of the woods. Then we also got the ride guide.
Pinklloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #14
WoodButcher
Administrator

Hey Lloyd, how did the new helmet work out?

When I walk along some railroad track and find
That you're movin' on the back roads
By the rivers of my memory
And for hours you're just gentle on my mind
"Gentle On My Mind" - Glen Campbell

2009 R1200GS Adventure - The Bug Killer
2013 K1600GT - Serenity
WoodButcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #15
Pinklloyd

Soumy Vandal was light, cool of course- at this time, and somewhat quiet.
It had its first fall off the seat at our last meal stop in China. Cabrito.
Pinklloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:33 PM   #16
stingray

I had an absolute BLAST at this event and highly recommend it to all. I was pretty darn worried about crossing the border with my vehicle but following the ride guide’s recommendations there were no problems whatsoever.

Thanks to all involved and especially my ride buddies (Jarrett, Rick, Arnold, Roberto, Kenny and Mark). Hope to ride with you all again soon!

Here’s a link to some of my pictures. Cant’ wait until next year!
06 VStrom 1K
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Dave Bell

Thanks to the organizers and everyone who gave me tips. Jinbody and I arrived safely in Houston at 3:00AM and I arrived at home outside of Dallas today at 3:30 PM.

I bought and outfitted the KLR for this trip. I have never done much off road (as in none) and I certainly enjoyed myself and learned a lot.

My KLR performed flawlessly. I loaned out a 6" piece of bailing wire, one wrench, and one 10mm nut. I did not use any parts or repair materials at all. I fell down twice due to stalling my motor, sliding backwards, and falling down. I bent one bracket for my caribou bags but that can be easily replaced.

It was a pleasure meeting you all and talking about riding. I loved the town the mountains and the people.

I'll be back.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...513844260&ap=1

Iron Butt Member #22319

Gen I KLR with DMC Enduro Sidecar
Honda ST1300
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #18
BIG A

Richard, Milton, and all that had a part in putting together this ride, it was the best adventure that i have been on in a long time. The country side and the people were wonderful, also some of the best DS roads that i have ever ridden on. also thanks to all our riding buddies they also made it special.Thanks to Scott, Kenny, Mark, Jarret, Roberto, and Rick. Can't wait to do it again!! Also thanks to Roberto for being our interpreter, you really did a great job of getting us food and drink, and getting us directions. Again thanks for a great week of riding and adventure.
BIG A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:05 PM   #19
cotton

I really want to thank you Richard and Meeltone for setting up this ride and all the routes. For a flatlander Fla boy to ride to 12,200 feet is really something to remember. I was over 20 years old before I make it to the highest Fla mountian (320') Enjoyed meeting and riding with Floyd,Don,Waylen and Jerry. Also enjoyed meeting everyone else. You Texas Guys are great. Have not quite made it home yet. Stoped at the Mississippi welcome station and asked for a inexpensive place to stay the night. They called and made me reservations at the Imperial Palace in Bulixi ($49.00 a night) What are all those machines with arms on them???? I guess I will have to check them out. Might not be back in Fla untill mid week. Thanks again Texans.
Cotton
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:01 PM   #20
Chango

Richard, Thanks for putting it all together again . It was nice visiting with everyone. El General Restuarant rules !!!!!!!!! Gracias a la Municipalidad de Galeana y la Gente para la hospitalidad. Amistad para siempre !!!

Regards, Chango