• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SV1K: I know the "shake", I love to "roll", but what's this "rattle"?

wczimmerman

The ORIGINAL Pie Man
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
SV1K: I know the "shake", I love to "roll", but what's this "rattle"?

Not really HELP!, but rather "huh"?

I've done the searches on Google and on the SV site and I've read about different folks reporting a shudder or shake when accelerating briskly from low (3-4K) RPMs. I don't have any noticeable shaking when doing so, or none that I notice, but today on my commute I did notice a noise that was out of place:

I "needed" to accelerate suddenly while dealing with traffic :trust: and while I didn't look at the tach at the very moment, I was probably running somewhere between 4-5K rpms when I rolled on the throttle rather quickly. Normally, I give squirts of throttle in traffic to maneuver, but in this case I was pushing more for a launch of speed. In my normal jumps I don't hear anything and it's been that way for all of my 21,000+ miles so far. The best way I can describe the sound would be like your front tire picked up some gravel and it was showering against the bike. It didn't sound steady, it wasn't very loud (compared to the wind noise and traffic), and it didn't last very long at all. If I HAD to pick a side of the bike, I would say the sound may have come from the left side (as sitting on the bike). It didn't sound like I would think pinging would sound and it certainly wasn't a knocking. In fact, I thought I ran over something when it happened but I always make a mental note to try and reproduce the sound later. Well, on the last leg of my commute I have an uphill climb that is somewhat clear so I decided to try it again. I was somewhere just north of 4K RPMs and I opened the throttle with extreme prejudice to hear the same sound (same volume, etc) for maybe 1-2 seconds?

When I got home I thought that maybe it could be the chain since the suspension goes up under hard acceleration. I checked the exhaust pipe right under the chain but I could see no signs of the chain rubbing against it. I keep the tension at 1.25" all the time and I am VERY meticulous on keeping the chain lubed and clean (every 2 weeks it gets a scrub and re-lube along with a check for tension every week).

In case anyone is wondering: the chain is quite new-maybe 2K miles on it...maybe. I replaced it myself and torqued the primary drive sprocket nut to factory specs. I have always run name-brand 87 octane (US) gasoline.

Other than this noise, the bike did accelerate with gusto but I am curious what folks here think about this noise and if anyone else has seen something like this.

Re: SV1K: I know the "shake", I love to "roll", but what's this "rattle"?

Cam Chain noise? Bad tensioner?

I have a comment on the 87 octane gas. I also have an 07 sv1k, and when accellerating from the lower rpms 2-3k there is a definite audible "knock" or predetination when running 87 octane. I have made the decision to run 89-91 and it cures this. I think the suzuki octane rating was wrong.

Cant help with your other noise. Mine makes all kinds of noises and vibrates, but runs beautifully!

I have a comment on the 87 octane gas. I also have an 07 sv1k, and when accellerating from the lower rpms 2-3k there is a definite audible "knock" or predetination when running 87 octane. I have made the decision to run 89-91 and it cures this. I think the suzuki octane rating was wrong.

Cant help with your other noise. Mine makes all kinds of noises and vibrates, but runs beautifully!

Interesting. I've never heard any knocking while running 87 these last 2.5+ years but I also don't let the bike get below 3K rpms while riding (even in traffic). It might be an interesting test to try 89 octane for 1 tank. :ponder:

Kurt: I did some searches on the sv portal for cam chain tensioners and didn't find anything that looked like a similar problem. I do have a thread posted there, too on this and I mentioned your idea to see what the response is.

This whole thing could be nothing. The bike runs well and other than this report I have no complaints.

That definitely sounds like a little detonation rattle. Maybe you got some bad gas. My Strom generally runs fine on 87 octane but on rare occasions I have heard a little rattle especially when lugging the engine at lower RPM's.;-)

well acording to the suplimentary service manual for the pre 05 SV1K (mine is a 03 1K/N) E-03,28,33 need at least 87 pump octane "the others" require 91 pump octane.

I have no idea what exactly E-03,28,and 33 are but looking at the wiring diagrams in the suppliment, 3, 24, 28, and 33 do not have a position light (European) or O2 sensor, (also European)

mine knocks, but it isn't a detonation knock, it is one of the cursed SV1K's with a crank machined wrong that Suzuki says is not a problem.

as it has not blown up yet, and isn't getting worse, they might be right. I just tell people it is a diesel.

Back