• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mexico Riders & Wannabee Mexico Riders

• Thread starter Mike in Clear Lake
  • Start date
M

Mike in Clear Lake

Grettings from Angola! That would be the country, not the prison in Louisiana. I am here on business.

It has occurred to me that we have a lot of folks here interested in riding to Mexico in various different fashions. Some will go to rallies like the BMW rally that was held in Guadalajara, or to the Galeana ride sponsored by Richard_. Others go solo or with a small group for street rides only, yet others for dual-purpose rides and some for dirt only by hauling a trailer with their truck. There is much variety in the type of riding as well as the objectives of each of the rides.

There are also others out in the TWT audience that would like to go, but are intimidated by not having the language or cultural skills, or who simply do not want to ride there alone. I believe those in this category would venture a trip into Mexico if someone with experience in Mexico would be willing to serve as an informal mentor/guide.

The objective of this thread is to list those who have been to Mexico and to list those who would like to go Mexico. So in this regard riders can link up with each other on a voluntary basis, or just serve as a resource for information. Mexico provides rich opportunities for adventure and is so close to Texas that I think it would be natural for us to take the time and opportunity to explore it.

If you are interested in listing yourself, below is a format that I think would be useful, but please modify it for your own post/listing as you see fit. I would recommend answering the questions below with more than a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Wannabees should also post here so that we know you are interested in making a ride into Mexico, so we can contact you or you can contact us.

Been to Mexico: Cite here whether or not you have been to Mexico and whether or not you were there on a bike. If you have a ride report(s) on your trip(s), then please link it here.

Speak Spanish and at what comfort level: If you do speak Spanish cite your comfort level with the language. If you do not speak Spanish, then also cite so here.

Type Riding: Cite whether you are willing to ride into Mexico for street only, dirt only or both.

Bike(s) for Mexico: List bikes you have that you are willing to ride in Mexico.

Willing to Mentor/Guide: Cite here whether or not you are willing to ride to Mexico with another rider who has never been there before, or what qualifications you deem appropriate for riding with someone else to Mexico. Even if you don’t want to mentor/guide IRL just answering questions on the board makes you a resource for any of the wannabees.

Attend Rallies: Cite here whether you like to attend rallies in Mexico where there are large groups of riders.

Group Rider: Cite here if you are okay with riding in a group to a given destination in Mexico. As an example some riders like to ride solo to rallies, only grouping up at the rally point.

Interstate Rider: Cite here whether or not you ride US Interstates (on the way to the border).

Cuota Rider: Cite here whether or not you ride Cuota highways in Mexico.

Camper: Cite here if you are willing to camp, or not, in Mexico.

SPOT User: Cite here if you use SPOT.

GPS User: Cite here if you use GPS.

Willing to Scout: Cite here if you are willing to serve as a scout. Anytime you post a ride report you are serving as an informal scout for others who have not been there. However, there are some of us that are willing to do this formally by going some place specifically requested by others where none of us have been before. As an example, if a rider is headed to Guatemala, someone may ask the rider to check out the border area along the Usumacinta River area for dirt roads. See Usumacinta

My filled out form will follow this post.

Mike

Last edited:
Been to Mexico: Yes, I have been to Mexico many times. I have visited several different parts of the country. However, I have only been there a few times on a motorcycle. Most of my travel to Mexico has been business related. My latest ride reports can be found on my my sigtag.

Speak Spanish and at what level: I am comfortable with Spanish in all situations. I am regarded as fluent/native speaker and also understand the cultures of Latin America. I have been to most of the countries in Latin America, but not on motorcycle. I am a dual citizen US/Costa Rica.

Type Riding: I ride street, dirt, and dual bikes. However at this time I only own a street bike.

Bike(s) for Mexico: I currently ride a Honda CB250 Nighthawk. I will be getting a dual-purpose at some later date. I only ride small displacement engine bikes, 650cc or less with a heavy preference to the 250cc class. If I can’t flatfoot a bike I won’t ride it. My cruising speed is just under 70 mph. Even on 650cc class, I will rarely exceed 75mph. This applies to anywhere in the world.

Willing to Mentor: Yes. I will announce my rides into Mexico here on the forum. If you want to ride along with me as your first trip into Mexico you should contact me via PM. Likewise if you are already experienced in Mexico feel free to contact me if you are looking for another rider. Don’t contact me if you use any kind of narcotics, even the recreational use of things like marijuana. Likewise if you go to Mexico for sex tourism, no need to contact me. Also, if you drink and ride, I won’t be riding with you. However, a drink after the day’s ride is always fine with me as long as there is no riding afterward. If you are a wannabee, then you should also already be an experienced motorcyclist sans the Mexico portion if you would like me to be a ride partner.

Attend Rallies: No. As of now I will not attend rallies or other large gatherings of riders. However, I may consider Galeana for ’09.

Group Rider: For rides into Mexico I limit the size to three riders including myself, of which two (including myself) must be fluent Spanish speakers. For two riders, including myself, the other rider can be an English only speaker. I don’t do border crossings en masse. So, this means I won't let myself be used as a translator for a large English speaking group (or mechanic for that matter).

Interstate Rider: I do not ride on interstates unless I must. This would be for things like crossing bodies of water.

Cuota Rider: Same policy as for interstates. EDIT: However, in MEX the cuota roads have little traffic, so I will ride these when I am time constrained.

Camper: No. I will not camp in Mexico or even in the US. I love the great outdoors but also enjoy modern plumbing and appliances as opposed to slit trenches and Dutch ovens (my Army days are over).

SPOT User: I use a SPOT.

GPS User: I do not use a GPS. I am a UTM land navigator by training and carry topographical maps when needed for remote areas.

Willing to Scout: Yes, I am willing to scout, solo or within my 3-rider group limit as cited above. I am used to working and traveling in remote areas on my own, and in hostile environments.

Last edited:
Speak Spanish and at what level: I am comfortable with Spanish in all situations. I am regarded as fluent and also understand the cultures of Latin America. I have been to most of the countries in Latin America, but not on motorcycle.

My level of Spanish depends on the situation.

When talking to the law, I only say the following:

"No Fumar Español" - roughly, "I don't smoke Spanish" :lol2:

Bob

..."No Fumar Español" - roughly, "I don't smoke Spanish" :lol2:

Bob

Yes, but my spies tell me you actually say a lot more than that in Spanish ;-)

So are you willing to serve as mentor to new riders into Mexico?

Yes, but my spies tell me you actually say a lot more than that in Spanish ;-)

My level of Spanish depends on the situation....:trust:

222428924_UoM7w-L.jpg

Mike, this is an interesting idea and one I have struggled with for years. On one hand me encanta Mexico and the adventures it offers quite literally right on our doorstep. OTOH, I am not sure I really want too many other folks to 'discover' it. This lack of appreciation by Norteamericanos is one of the most compelling facets for me. Selfish, I know...

That being said, I sure wish there had been a resource like this available for me when I first started traveling down there so it only seems right to share. I hope some find it useful.

Been to Mexico: I have been to Mexico about a dozen and a half times since 1985 and multiple times by bike since 2005. I did lead a group of friends down there on one trip and found introducing others to Mexico to be a VERY rewarding experience. Below are a few of my ride reports followed by associated photo galleries.

My most recent trip to Mexico....
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29595
http://ausfletch.smugmug.com/gallery/5537940_Q3smQ#339178946_kVGaD

First effort at "guiding"....
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22135
http://ausfletch.smugmug.com/gallery/3743091_zND6s#216491749_t9X8H

Work trip to Mexico....
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11449
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1748025_U9sWA#86521345_zNDDQ

First trip to Mexico by bike.....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1338525#post1338525
http://ausfletch.smugmug.com/gallery/427440_YLUsH#17783646_yKe8J

Summer spent living in Mexico (pictures only)...
http://ausfletch.smugmug.com/Travel/62735

Speak Spanish and at what comfort level:This is a tough one. My wife and I joke that between the two of us we are fluent because she listens and I talk but this is pretty much true in English, too. :trust: Improving my Spanish is one of things I enjoy most about traveling in Mexico. I am quite the annoying platicador when down there. Seriously, I can take care of most all necessities and hold slow and rudimentary conversations but don't plan to discuss existential philosophy or international politics with me...

Type Riding: I will ride any where any time I am able in Mexico.

Bike(s) for Mexico: 2007 BMW R1200GS Adv and Suzuki DR650 but I have a birthday coming up soon.

Willing to Mentor/Guide: I am willing to mentor and/or guide folks but don't like large groups or, perhaps more accurately, they usually don't like ME. :zen:

Attend Rallies: I don't really like rallies or large traveling groups in any country but am willing to try anything twice.

Group Rider: I like riding with small groups who share travel interests and outlooks.

Interstate Rider: I exclusively ride interstates to the border but this is only because my time is limited and I prefer to maximize my time IN Mexico not GETTING TO Mexico. Once in Mexico I prefer a mix of cuotas to get me to the area I am visiting then spend my time on secondary roads traveled by local poplulation. Again, this is primarily a result of time constraints.

Cuota Rider: I like cuotas for covering ground (very) rapidly and safely when necessary but they offer nothing for the primary reasons I like to visit Mexico - people and culture.

Camper: While I enjoy camping in the US I prefer to stay in local (if modest) accomodations when in Mexico. This is largely because I enjoy the opportunities to meet and interact with people.

SPOT User: I do not use SPOT but I do have a birthday coming up soon. I may have mentioned that already. Think my wife will read this thread????

GPS User: Do I use GPS? Does a bear..... I also have Bicimapas of Mexico.

Willing to Scout: I am more than willing to serve as a scout. This actually seems like a great way to see things I might have had no occasion to experience otherwise.

-Fred

I travel moslty north of the border. I have plenty of places I haven't been yet. But the list is growing for places south also. So many places; so little vacation.

Been to Mexico: Several times over the last 8 years.

Speak Spanish and at what comfort level: Very basic language abilities. I can order food and pay for what I need. As far as an in depth conversation; I need a lot of hand jestures. I prefer to travel with someone more fluent than myself.

Type Riding: Street or dirt; it matters not.

Bike(s) for Mexico: Whatever fits the ride

Willing to Mentor/Guide: Glad to share my experiences but would rather not lead a total newb going across the border.

Attend Rallies: I don't generally enjoy large groups. Richard's Adventure Ride would be an exception. That looks fun.

Group Rider: I don't mind riding with a group as long as everyone is on the same page as far as group think.

Interstate Rider: I stay off interstates unless I need to make time.

Cuota Rider: See above.

Camper: Mexican hotels are inexpensive. Why not use them?

SPOT User: I have a SPOT.

GPS User: yes but have not done so in Mexico.

Willing to Scout: Not alone.

Last edited:
Been to Mexico : Many times

Speak Spanish and at what comfort level : Most levels, Including but not limited to presentations.

Type Riding : Street & Dirt

Bikes for Mexico : Depends on terrain. Ural 2 wd. with sidecar , CZ 175 Border Town Bike , BMW R80GS.

Willing to mentor /guide: Would not mind riding with a fellow riders.

Attend Rallies : Have been to multiple rallies in Mexico . Saltillo, Monterrey, Piedras Negras, Acuna, Metrek,Mountian Recon.

Group Rider : Small group only.

Interstate Rider: Not my style.

Cuota Rider: Try to ride the old highways.

Camper:Prefer hotel with shower.

Spot user: No

GPS user: No

Willing to scout : Yes

Excellent thread!

Been to Mexico: Many times. A couple of times on bikes.

Speak Spanish and at what comfort level: It's more like butchering spanish. I am told my accent is bueno. (I think he was talking about my accent!???hum..maybe not)

Type Riding: Street or dirt; Don't care.

Bike(s) for Mexico: Whatever fits the ride. I have ridden my Valkyrie and my KLR down so far.

Willing to Mentor/Guide: If you don't mind being lost...sure why not!

Attend Rallies: I don't generally enjoy large groups. MexTrek was a great ride. A large group to kick tires then taking off with your own ride group

Group Rider: I don't mind riding with a group no larger than 4-6 as long as everyone is on the same page as far as group think. Your only as good as your least experienced rider. And I have to know that the least experienced rider will not put my life or the lives of other riders in danger.

Interstate Rider: I stay off interstates unless I need to make time.

Camper: I have camped in Mexico. But nothing beats hot running water after a long ride.

SPOT User: nope

GPS User: Only for the home button.

Willing to Scout: Not alone.

Delores

Great replies so far. If you know of other Mex riders please steer them over here in case they missed the thread.

No Wannabees seem to have posted yet. Likewise with them.

Been to Mexico: I am a wannabe... I would like to try Mexico on a motorcycle.

Speak Spanish and at what comfort level: I do not speak Spanish beyond simple greetings, would learn some phrases before hand that might be handy. What would those be by the way??

Type Riding: Both would be good, rough mountain country sounds like fun to me.

Bike(s) for Mexico: KLR-650 or XR-250

Willing to Mentor/Guide: N.A... I am one of the wannabees.

Attend Rallies: Prefer smaller groups.

Group Rider: Okay with this.

Interstate Rider: Not a problem to ride US Interstates (on the way to the border).

Cuota Rider: What's a Cuota?

Camper: Prefer not to camp in Mexico, at least at first.

SPOT User: Don't have a SPOT.

GPS User: Do have a GPS.

Willing to Scout: N.A.... wannabee.

Been to Mexico: Yep! And will be back for all of January and some of February. I have also been to most other Latin American countries too (by chicken bus, not moto).

Speak Spanish and at what comfort level: I am plenty comfy speaking Spanish...but this dones't mean I am doing it correctly! I am .25 fluent!

Type Riding: Street, and short off road on street bike

Bike(s) for Mexico: Ninja 250 is my choice. I would recommend any other small bike so you can blend in a bit.

Willing to Mentor/Guide: Mentor yes. Guide maybe for a day or two

Attend Rallies: Don't you need rear-less chaps for these? Nope.

Group Rider: I am a loner for the most part. Wouldn't mind riding with some one for a day or two. I like to go at my own pace.

Interstate Rider: Interstates to border are OK by me.

Cuota Rider: Cuotas are OK by me sometimes.

Camper: Sure, but I hate taking stuff.

SPOT User: :wary: .

GPS User: :wary: .

Willing to Scout: :thumb:

Cuota Rider: What's a Cuota?

Ed,

Cuota is a high-speed toll road. Typically these will parallel an older road. The older road will go through towns whereas the toll road will bypass these. Think US highway system versus US Interstate, e.g., Route 66 verus I-10.

Mike

Read Disbanded's RR. It's a good thing you aren't my son! After hugs, kisses and thanking God that you were still alive, I would have kicked your butt all the way back to the border! That's why I chose carefully who I ride with. Because of your silliness you could have put yourself and the other riders in grave danger. Now....after my $.02.. I am glad to see that you learned an important lesson from that little adventure AND you got some great pictures to share with the rest of us.

Read Disbanded's RR. It's a good thing you aren't my son! After hugs, kisses and thanking God that you were still alive, I would have kicked your butt all the way back to the border! That's why I chose carefully who I ride with. Because of your silliness you could have put yourself and the other riders in grave danger. Now....after my $.02.. I am glad to see that you learned an important lesson from that little adventure AND you got some great pictures to share with the rest of us.

You sound just like my mother! ;-)

You sound just like my mother! ;-)

:-P The kids can move away but Moma is always your Moma. And you are never too old to spank!

So when is your next trip down? Any recommendations as to when a good time of year to go would be? I have been going through post trip depression since Galeana. The depression always hits after any bid ride. I am sooooo looking forward to my next big trip!

Well, keep the the bike right side up and the map right side down and you'll never miss an adventure.

Delores

The best time to go is when it isn't too hot. The heat can be relentless down in the canyons. So the best time to go is late October, early November, or sometime in early Spring. We hope to go again in March.

The best time to go is when it isn't too hot. The heat can be relentless down in the canyons. So the best time to go is late October, early November, or sometime in early Spring. We hope to go again in March.

We are drifiting off topic. How about posting a profile of yourself if you want to be a resource ;)

Back