TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-17-2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

A little family history explains a lot about my Dualsport riding... (cool old pics)

Last week my 90 year old paternal grandfather passed away. We had a great service for him Tuesday. I learned long ago that he was actually my Dad's Step Father. His biological Dad left his Mom when he was just a small baby. When Dad was somewhere around 2-3 years old, his Mom remarried. This marriage lasted 62 years Anyway, some years ago it seems that his Mom slipped some pictures of his real Dad to my Mom, unbekownst to me. With all the family down for the funeral, Mom got to reflecting on things and remembered those pictures. Today I was over at their house and saw them for the first time.

Jack Vernon Welborn - my biological grandfather

Dad's Mom has been dead for four years and had Alzheimer's for quite some time before that. She never really spoke much of his real Dad so he knows next to nothing about him. They met and married in Oklahoma City in the late 30's. Dad was born in May of 39. He's never met his Dad and I believe he has been dead for quite a long time, having died at a considerably younger age than 90. I am guessing him to be in his early 20's in the image above. The following are the only other images I have of him.

He's the rider in both images. It looks like it might be the same bike, but with the fenders removed in the first image. I've no idea what kind of bike. This was before Dad was born but while he and my Grandmother were together, so likely 37-38.

These two may explain my tendency to be gravitationally challenged...

That's him rolling in the dust cloud

That's him with his hand straight up in the air

Looking at the pics, it looks like the last three are all from the same event of some kind. I'm guessing a race. The guy in the background of the last image looks like he's heading for those whoops. I think those are where the bike jump picture was taken.

It is kind of interesting. Knowing that my Grandfather's death was coming, and then during the funeral, I have been pondering the ways in which his life has affected my own. The way he raised his kids, treated his wife, treated his friends, his attitudes towards his work, his faith, all contributed to the making of my own Dad, and likewise, of myself. Then there is that old nature/nurture debate. Like it or not, we do inherit physical traits from upstream. I am nothing like my Grandfather in appearance. I don't really see myself in the first image above though. I did see a pic of my Dad from about that same age and they do look alike. Everyone that meets me and my Dad assures me we look a lot alike. Maybe I need to go find a pic of me when I was in my 20's...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For April: $530.99 - Previous Month: $719.72 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20268 Users (0.69%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
shootergal

Re: A little family history explains a lot about my Dualsport riding...

oh my gosh Scott! That is SO VERY, VERY COOL that you have those photos! What a treasure for you! And the motorcycle connection is priceless, yes? You're a lucky man.
BACA Seven Coves Chapter

Dylan "Porkchop" Newman / 2006 - 2009 / BACA / RIP Little Brother

"An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity"

"Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everybody you meet" General James Mattis
shootergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
TwoLane

Very neat old images. Having had some recent losses of my own, I can relate in many ways.

My better half is very involved in geneology, so I learn lots of things on family that I never heard passed down!
TwoLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:42 PM   #4
DrtyRdr

Awesome indeed, I got goosebumps looking at those pics. What an amazing connection to your past you have found!
DrtyRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
Hemibee

Looks like both of you have problems keeping bikes up right...........

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger - "Black Betty" - Gone
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC - Jessica

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles." John Wayne
Hemibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:00 AM   #6
TexasShadow

Uncanny how some of these traits, preferences, tendencies pass on, isn't it? So the legacy contiues

You are lucky to have 'found' the photos. They bring bits and pieces closer together and more real.

'06 Wee-strom 'Whee!'
'96 DR350se New Boyfriend
TexasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:40 AM   #7
tricepilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post

What a shot. I would have this framed. Instant classic.

Somehow, photographs of our elders when they were in the throws of a vibrant life inspire us to evaluate what we are making of our own existence.

Condolences on your loss, Scott.

Bob
Old 12-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Very neat pics and story! I guess it's like twins separated at birth, reunited as adults and they share the same interests but way cooler since your granddad's interests were passed on to you through two generations and you didn't even know he rode bikes. Kinda eerie in a cool way!
Old 12-18-2008, 07:11 AM   #9
Cagiva 549
Forum Supporter

The light on the front fender was one of Indian's trademarks , If it has a face it would be a positive id . I have a newspaper picture of my G Dad in the 50's , he was a private eye with the Dick Tracy hat and a cup of coffee . Its the only thing I have and I really wish it were a good print . Chreresh your history . SEYA
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Sleepy Weasel
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
That's him with his hand straight up in the air
I can see the family resemblance in that shot.

2012 Triumph Bonneville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates
I drank what?
Sleepy Weasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #11
poser

that's awesome!
my grandfather was raised a poor Czeck farmer. AFAIK the moto interest started with my dad. He had a GPz550 when was a kid

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

[empty stable , can I put my mountain bike or running shoes here? ]
poser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
pkiser

Jack Vernon Welborn. Didn't that guy have a newsletter back in the late 30's and early 40's called Two Wheeled Texans?
pkiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 AM   #13
pacman
Forum Supporter

Very cool!

The pics reminds me of this thread on adv.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723

Pacman

Kawasaki C14
pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #14
TWTim

Man, those are great pics. It's interesting how funerals end up turning into family reunions. It doesn't take long before the old pictures and film reels are broken out. Laughter and tears usually follow.
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
TWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #15
db

Excellent! Thanks for sharing,TM.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:20 AM   #16
weekend_warrior

Great photos and rememberance. I never new either of my grandfathers or grandmothers. My grandmother on my dads side is still around, but I can count the times I have been with her using my fingers. Seperated by a few states (Northern California). She will be 100 soon!

I can't help but think of a thread I was passed the led me to the ADVrider site.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3&perpage=15&p

And guys complain that the 4 strokes are to heavy to ride!
06 KTM450EXC (plated) - For Sale
weekend_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
TwoLane

Wow warrior, that's a huge milestone, 100! Maybe a Bike trip is in order, and maybe some of your online friends would tag along...and maybe it can be a local news event??? Anyway that's pretty neat, and I hope you get to see her again.

I realize this is off the dual sport thread slightly, but some interest is obvious for connecting with family. Maybe because of Holidays or recent losses some of us have had, or both...but we better go see our kin while we can. And for people in here it carries an added pleasure, since we can often visit on two wheels!
TwoLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #18
Velocipede

What a great story you have to share!

I had to complete a biography for a writing class in college and decided to drive 4 hours to see my grandfather to get his story. We spent two days digging through pictures, calling up his memories of glory days. I hold that weekend in rare company with my list of life changing events like meeting my wife and the births of my children.

I keep an old photo of him in my office at home. The photo is him at age 20, tending bar. He had just started working at the establishment he would one day own, the business later providing a foundation for our family.

Thanks for sharing the story. You immediatly took me back to that weekend with my "Poppy."

'05 YZF600R
'09 R1200RT - Retired to new owner
'13 Tiger Explorer - For sale
'17 Multistrada 950
Velocipede is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #19
1 wheel peel

VERY COOL
1 wheel peel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:46 PM   #20
Rman of 237
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoLane View Post
Wow warrior, that's a huge milestone, 100! Maybe a Bike trip is in order, and maybe some of your online friends would tag along...and maybe it can be a local news event??? Anyway that's pretty neat, and I hope you get to see her again.

I realize this is off the dual sport thread slightly, but some interest is obvious for connecting with family. Maybe because of Holidays or recent losses some of us have had, or both...but we better go see our kin while we can. And for people in here it carries an added pleasure, since we can often visit on two wheels!
+10,000 TwoLane!! When I was a kid some of my best memories were hanging out with my uncle in Glen Rose. He had a farm right on the Brazos and I rode my XR75(among other bikes as I got older) every inch of Somervell County. I wound up going to school in Waco and would ride my RZ over to Glen Rose just to hang out with him every other weekend. He's long gone now but the memories will never be forgotten!!