• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Challenge 2009 and beyond - Historical Marker Run

Reaction score
First Name
David
We've had some of the best pie in the state, even some of the best BBQ. We've ridden for FM roads and for some of the most beautiful Churches and Bridges in the state.

I pose a new challenge. Historical markers from 1 to ????

I had a link with all the locations and will try to find it again and post it up.

But in the mean time, who's up for it? I know some of you probably already have pics.

We needed another excuse to ride, right?:rider:

Here you can find a link that has a map and can click on each county for historical markers. However, the marker number listed here isn't the actual marker number. But it does have directions and maps. You can cross reference the name Here to get the actual number.

So here we go, in no particular order although I will try to keep them in numerical order. Also, where I can find it, the description will be a link to more details and maps from the 9key site.

Bandera Pass - Marker Number 293 - Bear on a bicycle

bandara_pass_293.jpg

First United Methodist Church - Marker Number 1884 - dixonduke

FUM_Church_1884.jpg

Fort Smith - Santa Fe Trail - Marker Number 2016 - dixonduke

Fort_Smith_2016.jpg

Goliad Tornado - Marker Number 2207 - Gilk51

goliad_tornado_2207.jpg

Greenwood - Marker Number 2274 - Yeeha! Stephen

Greenwood_2274.jpg

Harmonson Rancho - Marker Number 2384 - Tracker

harmonson_rancho_2384.jpg

Hunt Japonica Cemetery - Marker Number 2598 - Bear on a bicycle

Hunt_Japonica_Cem_2598.jpg

Pecos River High Bridge - Marker Number 3975 - dixonduke

Pecos_River_Bdge_3975.jpg

Third County Courthouse - Marker Number 4899 - Gilk51

3rd_county_chse_4899.jpg

Navarro County Courthouse - Marker Number 7236 - Gilk51

navarro_county_courthouse_7236.jpg

Pleasant Grove School & Cemetery - Marker Number 9017 - Tracker

plesant_grove_sch_cem_9017.jpg

Richardson's Bluff - Marker Number 10463 - Hoop

richardsons_bluff_10463.jpg

Fraser Brick Company - Marker Number 10858 - Tracker

fraser_brick_co_10858.jpg

Jefferson-Quitman Road - Marker Number 11321 - Tracker

Jeff_quit_road_11321.jpg

Alameda Cemetery - Marker Number 11850 - Gilk51

alameda_cem_11850.jpg

Maypearl Cemetery - Marker Number 12557 - Gilk51

maypearl_cem_12557.jpg

Clearwater Baptist Church - Marker Number 12925 - Tracker

clearwater_baptist_chrch_12925.jpg

Langtry - Marker Number 13174 - dixonduke

Langtry_13174.jpg

Re: Challenge 2009 and beyond

FM roads in sequential order is already in progress.

We tried the TDCJ/prison challenge but everyone got their knickers in a bind over being detained or arrested. :shrug:

We tried food - post your best BBQ for the year. I'm not sure we actually followed through on that one. :scratch:

Historical markers will be tough to keep up with, but if you are willing to accept the responsibility and be the caretaker of the project I'm sure some folks will play along.

busting my chops already. :rofl:

and it's not even the new year...

I'll take ownership. I can put the images in my photobucket account and post on the initial thread.

Just a matter of people wanting to join in.

Well then...

If you post it, they will come :zen:

Just pics of the markers and not in order right? Or location of the marker as well? Sounds like a good excuse for a ride to me.

sounds good to me too, but can I FOLLOW? Y'all know me....I get lost all the time! But I take good notes & even better pictures!
:lol2:

sounds good to me too, but can I FOLLOW? Y'all know me....I get lost all the time! But I take good notes & even better pictures!
:lol2:

Getting lost might be an easy enough way to collect some though - just ride along and admire the scenery whichever way you are headed and keep an eye out for a "Historical Marker 1 Mile" sign (or similar) then stop and take a picture. They might even tell you where you're at so you can figure out how to get home. :lol2:

So Mav - rules? Incentives? Pecking order?

Something like this?

Banderapasstrip001.jpg

Very much like that. would like the bike in the pic as well if you have the opportunity.

I'll post this as a lead off.

No doubt Scott (M38A1) will post up about 400 of them. :lol2:

Getting lost might be an easy enough way to collect some though - just ride along and admire the scenery whichever way you are headed and keep an eye out for a "Historical Marker 1 Mile" sign (or similar) then stop and take a picture. They might even tell you where you're at so you can figure out how to get home. :lol2:

Now why didn't I think of that? Squeak you're the MAN! (or WO-man as the case may be!):lol2:

Rules? There has to be rules? Oh, how about this. Nothing happens with out a pic. :rofl:

Incentives? Ummmmmm, you get to ride? ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!

Pecking order? Hmmmmm, I thought it was first come, first serve, but I'm not above favoritism. :rofl:

Does anybody know if there's a list of these signs and their locations?

I recall reading somewhere there are over 10,000 markers in Texas.

Oh, here it is. The number is actually over 13,000.

Very much like that. would like the bike in the pic as well if you have the opportunity.

I'll post this as a lead off.

No doubt Scott (M38A1) will post up about 400 of them. :lol2:

Only 399 to go...
nothing.jpg

You get a few of those around courthouses:

d70_6107q.JPG

and cemeteries:

maypearl_cem_marker_2514q1.JPG

and one of my favorites (from the ride to find it):

alameda_hist_mkr_3486q1.JPG

:mrgreen:

Something else to think about, putting the information like shown below would help others find it also.

Whiteflat

Motley County, TX

Historical marker N 34.10607 W 100.88982

DSC00216.jpg

If there is additional location information that would be good to have also.

Last edited:

I think it would be hard to get the bike in the picture on a lot of these. You would probably have to post two pics if that were the case, one of the marker with the print legible, the other with the bike in the pic, but it would be too far away to read.

I think it would be hard to get the bike in the picture on a lot of these. You would probably have to post two pics if that were the case, one of the marker with the print legible, the other with the bike in the pic, but it would be too far away to read.

yea, was thinking that, but if given the name of the site, I could get the write up that I've been linking. But, I think just the sign will work. I'm digging up a few that I have but yea, My bike is in the pic but you can't really makeout the sign.

Back