• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

REAL Adventure Riding in Mexico

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Two of us planned a trek into Mexico. We just got home yesterday evening and I had over 12GB worth of photos and video to sort and edit. The video... jaja... not even started.

Two of us planned the trek. Three of us went on this adventure. Our stallions were six fifties. Nearly 150 combined horsepower.

We kicked **** on this ride because we are some bad ****s. We did what they told us not to. We camped with coyotes howling outside our tents. We plucked cactus thorns from our boots and tires.

We went for an adventure ride in Mexico.

We'll have two authors for this ride.... here be me.

IMG_0412.jpg

Here be Richard on his seisciento cincuenta caballo-
P1010472.jpg

oh wait... thats just a friendly Mexican.
P1010497.jpg

Here is Richard.

And Don Quixote himself. Clueless as ever. Slow and steady. He fought off killer cactus windmills with a hunting knife.
PC310383.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Night number one brought us to McAllen,Tx. 10 hours for Jim and I. Richard, although he lives in Houston, drove down from around Kansas City after visiting the in-laws for the holidays. 18 hours in the car for him.

PC290067.jpg

Day two. We run all the way down to the border.
PC290073.jpg

PC290076.jpg

PC290078.jpg

"You SOBs are slowing me down... don't you know your bank can get you the money before hand?!?"
PC290084.jpg

Not too late...
PC290092.jpg

But now it is. LOCK AND LOAD!

PC290098.jpg

Bienvenidos a Mexico!

Back from a quick commercial break to go pay the 'lectricity bill.

I'll give some details on getting across the border. GO AS FAST AS POSSIBLE! Make an S-curve so the bullets miss your head.
Thats the BS for all the BS-ers sitting at home right now.

The truth for those who are wanting to get going south, do as follows.

I highly recommend getting your vehicle permit online. It only costs about $20 more to do it that way, but should save you a good amount of time.

On the flip side to that, you must still get your tourist permit (visa) which costs $230. That's pesos. But Jim reckoned it was $230 bucks. Poor Don Quixote.

This process may only hold true for the Hidalgo crossing.
1)Go to the Migration counter, give em your passport and they give you form.
2)Fill out paper.
3)Have copies made at next window.
4) Go to Banjercito window and pay your dues.
5) Go back to Migration window and have passport stamped. "Bye-Bye. Vaya con dios!"

Being cute obviously helps you with the process.

Welcome to Mehico.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. Welcome to Mexico. The land of drug runners, angry Mexicans who hate Americans. The land of burros and goats on the road sides. Horse and burro drawn buggies holding up traffic. A place of crazy drivers. A place where you can pass cars in a curve, or a line of cars slowing for topes. You can just about do what you like with little restriction. Yes. This is Mexico.
PC290102.jpg

T-I-M. This is Mexico.
PC290104.jpg

Ok, well the first sentence can only possibly true. I have never met so many friendly people in my life. In this state, coming up on a car while blasting down a dirt road only gets you a dirty face and a bit of aggravation. In Mexico, everyone pulled over to let us pass. Most even gave a friendly honk and a definate wave. T-I-M.

PC290107.jpg

Our first day in Mexico was great. The maps dont match the roads worth a crap... so our navigation was left up to richard and his E132 GPS mapset... he'll give you a speil on that later
PC290109.jpg

Has your wife ever wondered where your winter time oranges come from? Give me her number and I will explain in great detail.
PC290120.jpg

PC290122.jpg

We even had a great lunch.
PC290125.jpg

PC290124.jpg

PC290130.jpg

PC290131.jpg

We had no clue exactly what the meat was, but who the heck cares? It was red meat, char broiled to perfection. Add a little lime and a tortilla and its bliss.

PC290160.jpg

PC290168.jpg

Oh yeah. Bring it on, suckers.

We left off with pavement, a curve, and a sharp drop off. We finally made it to the mountains near Montemorelos. MON tay Mo ray LOS. A zig and a zag later we meet our first switchback.

PC290185.jpg

PC290190.jpg

PC290193.jpg

Go this way for dirt. Yes. This way Richard. Not that way.

PC290197.jpg

PC290198.jpg

PC290207.jpg

PC290209.jpg

Good dirt. Great dirt. Don't eat dirt.

PC290211.jpg

This senor came up to check out my caballo. I told him he had a beautiful view from his casa... he says "no."
PC290214.jpg

Old shoes. Nu shews.
PC290215.jpg

PC290219.jpg

Puente de Dios
IMG_0187.jpg

Enchiladas suizas. good shtuff.
IMG_0194.jpg

Feliz navidad and prospero ano nuevo.
IMG_0195.jpg

Us three and then a few guys with backpacks from monterrey.

Thats the first day in Mexico. Amigos.

I highly recommend getting your vehicle permit online. It only costs about $20 more to do it that way, but should save you a good amount of time.
Please tell me where to get the vehicle permit online. How much does it cost?

I made it all the way down to Mazatlan and halfway up Baja last year without ever being asked for a passport or anything but I think I'm going to go legit this year.

Please tell me where to get the vehicle permit online. How much does it cost?

I made it all the way down to Mazatlan and halfway up Baja last year without ever being asked for a passport or anything but I think I'm going to go legit this year.

Go to Sanborn's Insurance for Mexico - Buy your Mexico Auto Insurance Including Car and Travel Insurance today.

Go to the link for Mexico info to get a good overview of the stuff you need.

http://www.banjercito.com.mx/site/imagenes/iitv/instruccionesIITV.html

That is the actual link.

We were only asked for the permit at the check station about 30 miles in on Hwy 40. Didnt use my passport until I got back to the border.

Ask a burro which way

Richard tried getting too far ahead of himself/ourselves. One day at a time brother.

Day two. Ask a burro which way.
IMG_0198.jpg

Ricardo done did told you about Don Quixote enjoying his breakfast bars for breakfast. I read the label on them, 90 calories and something like 1g of protein.
IMG_0201.jpg

Well what do you know. Early mornin sunlight allows for great photos.
T.I.M.
IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

This is Galeana, Nuevo Leon, Mexico

It was a clear day so we decided it would be a good one to run up Cerro Potosi. 935 meter providence over the area. 12,000 feet overall. Lets get going!
Ricardo's photo is good. Mine is better.
PC300235.jpg

This road is the wrong way for those of you who are going on this ride. You can do it easily on an unloaded seisciento cincuenta, we made good fun of this adventure. Once we got a few miles down we decided we would find our way through to get to Mimbres. Richard's GPS didnt keep up with the Mexicans, so the routes we need to take dead ended.... atleast 5 times.
Como se va a..... eh Los Mimbres? Blank stares.
PC300238.jpg

These guys did their best to direct us the way. He even told me that Ricardo no entiendo bien. I got the drift that we needed to go over the mountain and take a right down a hill.... but never really found the road. They were quite worried that the trail would be too much for our bikes. "Es muy erecta" Bueno!!!!!!
3 trips back to this little village and a hand drawn map later.... we still didnt have anything. We went back and I asked someone closer to the direction we needed to go. They finally told me to go back dosciento metros and un izquierda abajo y mas erecta. :dunno Gracias.
PC300241.jpg

(Gun and machete wilding Mexican. Looks menacing, atop his half HP burro, doesnt he?)
PC300242.jpg

T.I.M.
On our hand drawn map, the guy had "rio pequeno" "si" for this way and a "no" for that way.
Oh here is the rio pequeno.
PC300244.jpg

I stood in the middle of this rio pequeno to bring you this photo.

So, go over the hill from the burro man village. You will then pass the gun/machete wilding Mexican and start up a rocky climb. You will see a trail going off the edge of the cliff. Take that route. :nod

This really is where the fun started. I enjoy asking directions. It seems like I did a lot whenever Ricardo's GPS led us astray. Didnt too often, but it had its glitches.

This trail is quite rough. Grapefruit rocks everywhere and then there is a gate.
PC300248.jpg

PC300249.jpg

And yes. It is steeper than it looks... especially after you stop to open/close the gate.

PC300253.jpg

Another little ways down the road, is another gate.... and just after the gate, Srta Vaca doesnt like motos. Came around a bend and the cow jumps straight up.... I didnt know whether to go off the cliff or between it and the edge.... I went between and grabbed clutch.

T.I.M.

We get down the road and have lunch. Across the valley are a few homes in ruins.
PC300259.jpg

We had lunch at an old home site too.

This is where I find the giant asparagus.
PC300263.jpg

And after our spam and crackers, we have suckers.
PC300265.jpg

PC300269.jpg

On to Mimbres.

On to Mimbres.
PC300274.jpg

We missed the harvesting in this valley.

PC300276.jpg

If you look really closely, there be a horse pulling a plow on the hill.

PC300277.jpg

This is Mimbres. My favorite village from this trip. They also have the coldest cokes.

PC300285.jpg

Don Quixote slurping a coke.

PC300280.jpg

Modelo is good cold.

PC300288.jpg

Roadside burros.

PC300291.jpg

Farther up into the mountains, the maiz was still being harvested.

PC300301.jpg

On to the "Dual Sport Double Dragon"

Let me learn you about the lesson I teached myself. DONT screw around with prickley pear. They suck! I saw some on the roadside... went a plucked one off the cactus. Of course I had my gloves on so I didn think anything of it.... until I go to take off. The dang trichomes(thorns on the prickley pear) that blessed me with the irritation and necessity to buy new gloves. My gloves were full of the trichomes. I rode the rest of the day without gloves... and up to 12000ish feet. It sucked. And it sucked to pull the trichomes out of my fingers. Dang trichomes.
Effin prickley pears.

After the dual sport dragon, we crossed pavement.
PC300308.jpg

A wise man once said that north is always up on the map. So to go north, you go up. Lets go to the top of the world then.

To go up. To go up, you must go on this road. This road sucks. I hated it. To go up, you go up this road.
PC300310.jpg

This is the only place where Ricardo's bike wanted to take a nap... he was leading and made it most of the way around the corner and I didnt get the chance to catch him on the downside.
PC300311.jpg

See Richard run.
PC300314.jpg

PC300315.jpg

See, the views are worth it. The road sucks.

PC300320.jpg

Golf, anyone?

PC300325.jpg

Thats Galeana down the hill and on the otherside of the ridge.

PC300327.jpg

For those who want to check it out... this is the Dual Sport Double Dragon
PC300332.jpg

Lets go down the hill and break some rules.

Ewan McGreggor, eat your heart out.
PC300343.jpg

I started downhill quicker than Richard and Jim. Probably 10 minutes before. I found a decent area to possibly camp, and waited. 10 minutes went by... Maybe they just took a break coming down. 20 minutes went by... they'll be around the corner soon. 30 minutes went by... oh crap, something happened.

PC300347.jpg

Watch where you squat.

I was postponing the inevitable of having to ride BACK up to the top of Potosi. At the 30 minute mark I started back up. Around every corner I was hoping I would see them. 15 minutes of going up the mountain I finally rounded a switchback to see Richard. Apparently he lost a couple bolts. One in is subframe! So his handling went to pot perdy quick. Well good, atleast neither of them got hurt.

We went down to 7,000 feet, found a good campsite. Richard setup camp. I cooked.
PC300353.jpg

Richard should have some more photos of the campsite. I leave you with this last picture for the evening.
IMG_0240.jpg

Good read and keep it comming,,, Mexico by Motorcycle gets in your blood and it never goes away,,, :rider:
Mike

Wholly crap, you buried the thread outside of DS land. I'm lost and not even in Mexico! Ride report on...

Wholly crap, you buried the thread outside of DS land. I'm lost and not even in Mexico! Ride report on...

It's good to expose the non DS peeps to the fun they are missing :trust: :flip:

Mexico is a great place to ride DS. All of the news that gets North of the Border seems to distort the true face of Mexico. You won't find people anywhere in the world who are more generous or warm than the Mexicans.

Back