TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
joop schmeitz
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 2
Question Honda Reflex won't fire up

After 9 month in storage (with stabilizer in tank) my Reflex won't fire up.

Carburetor is hard to open.

Fuel runs.

Any advise?
joop schmeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
kurt
Administrator
 
kurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cedar Park, Texas
Posts: 18,859
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

New fuel, spark plug and a full charged battery?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
DaveC
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: On the fringe of the Hippoplex
Posts: 9,778
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

You should just give it to me and wash your hands of it!
__________________
Dave C
Still Riding the Texas Blackland Prairies on a DL1000(

"heck, that ain't far! Let's ride"
Quote:
"Such as thou art, so once was I
As I am now, so shalt thou be"
Inscribed on the tomb of The Black Prince , Edward of Woodstock, 1376
Quote:
Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.
Will Rogers

Ride Naked!
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
Doons
 
Doons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano
Posts: 877
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Shoot it.....
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Valker
Forum Supporter
 
Valker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pampa
Posts: 2,164
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

If it turns over, the automatic choke may be stuck.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Ben Franklin

Eric West
Pampa, TX
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #6
wildebube
 
wildebube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wills Point
Posts: 955
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Welcome to the site. Don’t be offended by these clowns – they’re really not a bad bunch. But how about a little more serious answer? Assuming that is was running nine months ago and that nothing internal has really changed, you come down to the three basic requirements to run: fuel, air, and spark. I don't know any specifics about the Reflex, but these things are pretty standard.

Stabilizer or not, I would flush the fuel system. Pay special attention to the carb. Stabilizer in the tank does nothing for fuel in the float bowl and I have seen jets gummed up and varnished from old fuel. Pilot jets can be quite small, so they're easy to clog. I don't know if you have a real choke or an enrichment circuit, but check the function of either. If the carb has a diaphragm, check for holes or tears. Clean the carb. Remove the jets and look through them. Are they unobstructed? If not, then clean them. Is the inlet valve stuck in its seat after sitting for nine months? You said you have good fuel flow, but you didn’t specify to where. Fuel to the carb won't do any good if it doesn't get through the jets.

Check the air filter and the air box in general. It's not uncommon to find that creatures have taken up residence in the air box. I found one with no unwanted residents, but completely full of acorns and pecans. Apparently a local squirrel was using it to cache some goodies. While you're there, make sure everything post-filter is sealed up tight.

Check for spark. The usual method is to remove the plug, ground it against the engine, and give it a whirl. A few caveats are in order though. Don’t hold it in your hand while trying this – it can give you a pretty serious jolt. Some electronic ignition systems can be damaged if the plug isn’t well grounded, so be sure you know what you’re doing when you do this: you could do more harm than good. It still won’t tell you if the plug is bad or if the spark is weak, but I’ve been known to just attach a timing light to the sparkplug wire as a first cut. If the timing light flashes, I know I have at least some spark getting to the plug.

All of this is pretty easy and pretty basic stuff. I don’t mean to insult you, but from what you said I’m assuming that you don’t have a lot of mechanical background, experience, or skill. I’ve given you some pretty basic stuff to check. If you don’t find something fairly obvious when you do this stuff, I would strongly suggest enlisting the aid of a more experienced friend or getting yourself and your bike to a real mechanic.

Hope this helps.
__________________
Lee Norman
'08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
'14 BMW G650GS Sertão
wildebube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #7
Valker
Forum Supporter
 
Valker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pampa
Posts: 2,164
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebube View Post
Welcome to the site. Don’t be offended by these clowns – they’re really not a bad bunch. But how about a little more serious answer? Assuming that is was running nine months ago and that nothing internal has really changed, you come down to the three basic requirements to run: fuel, air, and spark. I don't know any specifics about the Reflex, but these things are pretty standard.

Stabilizer or not, I would flush the fuel system. Pay special attention to the carb. Stabilizer in the tank does nothing for fuel in the float bowl and I have seen jets gummed up and varnished from old fuel. Pilot jets can be quite small, so they're easy to clog. I don't know if you have a real choke or an enrichment circuit, but check the function of either. If the carb has a diaphragm, check for holes or tears. Clean the carb. Remove the jets and look through them. Are they unobstructed? If not, then clean them. Is the inlet valve stuck in its seat after sitting for nine months? You said you have good fuel flow, but you didn’t specify to where. Fuel to the carb won't do any good if it doesn't get through the jets.

Check the air filter and the air box in general. It's not uncommon to find that creatures have taken up residence in the air box. I found one with no unwanted residents, but completely full of acorns and pecans. Apparently a local squirrel was using it to cache some goodies. While you're there, make sure everything post-filter is sealed up tight.

Check for spark. The usual method is to remove the plug, ground it against the engine, and give it a whirl. A few caveats are in order though. Don’t hold it in your hand while trying this – it can give you a pretty serious jolt. Some electronic ignition systems can be damaged if the plug isn’t well grounded, so be sure you know what you’re doing when you do this: you could do more harm than good. It still won’t tell you if the plug is bad or if the spark is weak, but I’ve been known to just attach a timing light to the sparkplug wire as a first cut. If the timing light flashes, I know I have at least some spark getting to the plug.

All of this is pretty easy and pretty basic stuff. I don’t mean to insult you, but from what you said I’m assuming that you don’t have a lot of mechanical background, experience, or skill. I’ve given you some pretty basic stuff to check. If you don’t find something fairly obvious when you do this stuff, I would strongly suggest enlisting the aid of a more experienced friend or getting yourself and your bike to a real mechanic.

Hope this helps.
Sorry, my answer was serious. I own a Reflex scooter and needed to find out if it turned over. These things are loaded with 'safety' features. If the side stand is down, it won't turn over, if the cut off switch is off-ditto, rear brake lever switch lose-ditto, if it turns over-probably an empty carb bowl, if no fire at all. If turns over and 'tries' to start, choke problems. Vacuum supplied fuel-no external fuel valve.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Ben Franklin

Eric West
Pampa, TX

Last edited by Valker; 01-14-2009 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Loyd
 
Loyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 2,565
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
You should just give it to me and wash your hands of it!
Pfft..I'll give him a quarter and what's left of my soda.
__________________
~Loyd

"Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite."-Patrick Rothfuss

- 03 600rr (machineous-doubledutieous)
Loyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:01 PM   #9
wildebube
 
wildebube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wills Point
Posts: 955
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Sorry, my answer was serious. I own a Reflex scooter and needed to find out if it turned over. These things are loaded with 'safety' features. If the side stand is down, it won't turn over, if the cut off switch is off-ditto, rear brake lever switch lose-ditto, if it turns over-probably an empty carb bowl, if no fire at all. If turns over and 'tries' to start, choke problems. Vacuum supplied fuel-no external fuel valve.
I know yours was serious. It's the "give it to me", and "just shoot it" that I was referring to. Legitimate answers yes, but not exactly helpful. Come on guys, this was his first post. Can't we be nice to him at least until his post count makes it to double digits? Then we can pick on him mercilessly. But it isn't asking too much to give a noob a break is it?
__________________
Lee Norman
'08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
'14 BMW G650GS Sertão
wildebube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
DFW_Warrior
 
DFW_Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 12,924
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

I would also go with the new fuel approach. Even though it had stabil in it, it's probably time for a fresh batch for it to run on. That, new plugs, and a battery charge and you should be good to go. But if that doesn't work, then it's time for a carb clean.
__________________
Bill ('12 Tenere)('00 KLR)('05 YZ250)

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Doons
 
Doons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano
Posts: 877
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebube View Post
I know yours was serious. It's the "give it to me", and "just shoot it" that I was referring to. Legitimate answers yes, but not exactly helpful. Come on guys, this was his first post. Can't we be nice to him at least until his post count makes it to double digits? Then we can pick on him mercilessly. But it isn't asking too much to give a noob a break is it?
Are we now accountable to you for what we choose to post? Was what I posted "mean spirited"? I don't think so. Flip, yes, mean, not hardly. So is that the offical rule then, double digit posts before anyone can post something that isn't nice? Who is the judge by the way? Some of us two wheeled texans are smart a**es, just the way it is. Meant no harm and other than you, don't see where I caused any? Hijack over...
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
wildebube
 
wildebube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wills Point
Posts: 955
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

No, no, no...

Why did I even say anything?

I just noticed that it was the guy's first post and he couldn't even get a straight answer. Now everybody is taking offense at anything I say.
__________________
Lee Norman
'08 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
'14 BMW G650GS Sertão
wildebube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
Doons
 
Doons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Plano
Posts: 877
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebube View Post
No, no, no...

Why did I even say anything?

I just noticed that it was the guy's first post and he couldn't even get a straight answer. Now everybody is taking offense at anything I say.
Offense is probably a bit strong... mildly miffed is probably closer. He will survive and it looks as though he is getting the information he needs while only having to sort through a small bit of BS from us Clowns (final dig I promise). Don't sweat it... it ain't no thing......
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 PM   #14
ysr612
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Beaumont, tx
Posts: 365
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Sorry, my answer was serious. I own a Reflex scooter and needed to find out if it turned over. These things are loaded with 'safety' features. If the side stand is down, it won't turn over, if the cut off switch is off-ditto, rear brake lever switch lose-ditto, if it turns over-probably an empty carb bowl, if no fire at all. If turns over and 'tries' to start, choke problems. Vacuum supplied fuel-no external fuel valve.
is it the scooter? I own a honda reflex and it is a trials bike. If it is the trials bike put it in 3 gear and push it it will fire.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #15
Valker
Forum Supporter
 
Valker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pampa
Posts: 2,164
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr612 View Post
is it the scooter? I own a honda reflex and it is a trials bike. If it is the trials bike put it in 3 gear and push it it will fire.
It is a scooter of which I speak, although I have been the fortunate owner of both types. (Trophied in the Texas State Trials-Novice class on the street legal TLR. On the easier sectiones I would use the turn signals to signal my intentions)
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Ben Franklin

Eric West
Pampa, TX
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:58 PM   #16
joop schmeitz
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston
Posts: 2
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Sorry, my answer was serious. I own a Reflex scooter and needed to find out if it turned over. These things are loaded with 'safety' features. If the side stand is down, it won't turn over, if the cut off switch is off-ditto, rear brake lever switch lose-ditto, if it turns over-probably an empty carb bowl, if no fire at all. If turns over and 'tries' to start, choke problems. Vacuum supplied fuel-no external fuel valve.
My problem is how to take off the carb. Hard to reach.
Have u done it before?
joop schmeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #17
Valker
Forum Supporter
 
Valker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pampa
Posts: 2,164
Re: Honda Reflex won't fire up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joop schmeitz View Post
My problem is how to take off the carb. Hard to reach.
Have u done it before?
Nope. Haven't had it down that far. Wish I could help.
__________________
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"
Ben Franklin

Eric West
Pampa, TX
Valker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-12.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.23443 seconds with 9 queries