TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,...

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-07-2003, 06:08 AM   #1
hillcountry

Speed Bleeders and new brake pads

Even with all the old cars I've had (partial list -- 65/69 Mustang coupes, 65/66 Mustang Fastbacks, 86 CJ7, bunch of trucks, etc., etc., etc.,) and work they've caused me, I've always been nervous about messing with my brakes. I've always figured that I was OK as long as I could stop, so I've always been nervous about screwing something up. Since I had off Friday, it was raining, and a bunch of new parts finally got here from England (to replace the stuff I bent/broke during my water crossing fiasco), I figured that it was a good day to get my hands dirty and get this stuff done.

I put on a set of speed bleeders (front and back), bled the brakes (front and back), and put on a set of EBC HH (front). I can't believe how easy it all was. The speed bleeders work just as advertised and are as easy to install as the instructions indicate. My wife even joked about the amount of time I spent messing with the bike and the lack of skinned/bloody knuckles I had

I haven't had a chance to bed the new pads yet (thanks to all the rain), but I'm looking forward to seeing if they are as good as advertised.

Bill
hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Howdy,

I just recently put the EBC HH pads on the front of both of our VFR's. It made a huge difference. Very nice. Took a little readjusting to get used to the new feel but once I did, I love them. I also use the speedbleeders. The VFR has seven bleed points on the linked brakes and one for the clutch. Lots of people gripe about the linked brakes, I love them except for when I have to bleed them, then I start thinking regular brakes would be real real nice! Also, to change the hoses to Stainless lines is something like $280!! Whereas, a typical bike runs more like $50-80 depending on the bike Ah well, what are you gonna do? Can't have everything perfect on one bike...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 AM   #3
John Bennett

I want to invest in some Speedbleeders.

Flushing the brake fluid on my wife's Honda CRV this weekend was a total pain. Coordinating her pushing the pedal with me opening the bleeder valve did not go well. She got frustrated and I think I let air into her front brakes.

I tried using a Mighty-Vac, but it sucked in air through the threads around the bleed valve. It was difficult (and exhausting for my hand) to pump enough to maintain a good vacuum.

The speedbleeder website says they are $7.00 each.
( https://www.speedbleeder.com/order.htm )

Are they cheaper elsewhere like an aftermarket on-line retailer or autoparts store?
John Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Howdy,

I believe it is $7 for a pair. When I bought mine, they came two to a pack. I had a total of eight screws in four packs and the total cost was around $50-60. You might call and double check. They were quite friendly and chatty when I last spoke with them.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 07-07-2003, 02:15 PM   #5
hillcountry

I never even looked anywhere other than the speed bleeder site, but tourmeister is right in that they were very friendly. I think that I had them within 2-3 days of ordering them as well. The brakepads were another story. I went through brakesrus http://www.brakesrus.com/ and it took several phone calls (and several weeks) to finally get my brake pads. They won't be getting any more of my money.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:52 AM   #6
Anonymous

Brake Bleeding

If you have a compressor and plan on doing lots of bleeding (that sounds bad doesn't it ) , you may want to look into a vacuum bleeder that hooks up to your compressor.

I bought one a while back and it was worth the $150 IMO.

The one I bought was similar to the vacula:

http://www.vacula.com/usa/produkte/brake_drain.shtml

It makes bleeding brakes quick and painless.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Hmm... I have a compressor... And it sure would be nice to have something like this when bleeding the !$%$# linked brakes on the VFR's!

Quote:

Old 07-08-2003, 01:07 PM   #8
hillcountry

Honestly...I'm not making this up!! In going through our American Experss bill the other day, we found an unfamiliar charge. I finally called last night and spoke to a very friendly lady that sounded like she came from India/Pakistan. She said that there was a computer error and that the charge listed was just a generic title that Amex used. She looked it up and then got very quiet. After a few seconds she started speaking and tentatively said that it was a charge from a company called "Speed Bleeder." We both got a good laugh when I explained what it was

My wife didn't think it was very funny either (she's not from the U.S. either) but I got a good laugh out of it.

Bill
Old 07-08-2003, 03:44 PM   #9
scratch
User's account inactive by request

The woman you spoke to probably was Indian, Bill. I saw a 60 Minutes story recently that reported on the growing trend of having phone service providers working out of offices in India, since long-distance phone lines are so cheap now. That's a pretty good-paying job over there it seems. A lot of the operators take speech classes to try to make their voices sound more "American". If English is your second language (and you're not a gearhead) references to a "speed bleeder" might cause you to see some pretty awful mental images!
scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 04:31 PM   #10
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Man, you could have had some fun with that! "I'm a doctor and this is an important piece of equipment..."

Quote:

Old 07-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #11
wrightsc

Yeah, the company I work for has all of the Help Desk lines answered in India. In addition to the phones being answered overseas, the support people are also given "American" names to use (I spoke with a "Chad" yesterday).

What's ironic is that most of them speak better English than the people I work with.
'02 GL1800
"Will Ride For Food!"
wrightsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 10:48 PM   #12
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I have found that most people that have learned English as a second language usually write and speak it better than most of the natives here. I wonder if the same is true in other languages in other countries?

Quote: