• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

KBC VR3 vs Scorpian EXO 700

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
Hmmm, the $200.00 helmet choices are getting better. My KBC VR1 has served me well but my Bday is coming up and I think a new lid is in order.

Anyone have any comments from wearing these. They are kinda new but maybe someone pluncked their money down early.

I need decent ventilation as the priority. Helmet noise takes a backseat since I just listen to the voices in my head anyway.

I know it's not the 700, but I have a Scorpion EXO 400 and I love it. I bought it through the BMW dealership here in OKC and they threw in the chin skirt for it as well, but it's worth the $8.95 if you have to buy it anyhow.

The ventilation seems decent on it, although the venting on the 700 looked better (I just couldn't swing the extra $$ at the time). I've only ridden in it up to about 84 degrees so far, though, so we'll see how it does in the Oklahoma summers.

Wind noise isn't a problem for me, at least due to the helmet anyhow. I get a lot of buffeting noise, but I believe that would be with any helmet because of where the wind hits me coming off of the fairing. I need to get a different shield to see if that helps me out any. If I sit up straight and tall on my sv650s so that the Scorpion is out of the wind blast coming up over my shield, it's quiet as a whisper at 80mph. When I drop back down to a normal riding position, I get the thundering sounds. I hope to find out how to address that, as it's my main complaint for highway riding so far.

Comfort is great, and the visor is reasonably easy to get on and off, although I've seen easier.

HTH,
Mark

Scorpion 400

Hey Beano thanks for the advice. Helmet Harbor did a good write up on the Scorpion line. They said if you live in the south buy the 700 for the extra ventilation. They haven't done a write up on the VR3 yet. I'm leaning towards the Scorpion but we'll see...

Accessorize

You got to accessorize! One can never have too many helmets, bikes, guns, or knives (not necessarily in that order).

Some might know this already but keep the helmet funk at bay by using a fabric softner dryer sheet. Works Great!

From everything I've read about the Scorpion EXO 700, it's practically on par with a Shoei, minus the high dollar cost. I've also heard raves from people who have Scorpion helmets.

I am going to get an all black EXO 700 for my next helmet. I have gone to dealerships that sell them to try them on, I was a Medium in my KBC TK-8, and I'm a Large in the EXO 700. It was VERY comfortable and for $179.95 for the solid colors, I'm sold!

Kim

Exo 700

I have the Exo 700 in matte black. It is a great helmet. It is basically an all features helmet at a price that my small bank account can afford. I used to have a Shoei RF-1000 and I would say the Exo 700 is better because of the full removable liner and the built in breathguard. I really liked the Shoei too, but something better at a more affordable cost is the winner in my book.

Susan just got a HJC (not KBC :oops: ) RC-II (anniversary present).

This is her first full face helmet - she hasn't gotten one sooner because they trigger a claustrophic reaction. This one doesn't - she likes it.

It's red, like her new Aprilia... :-D

I have a KBC Racer-1 and it's okay. I paid $240 and well, I got what I paid for. The upside is that it's not only DOT/Snell 2k but it also passes the much stricter Euro standards. One downside so far is that the two-sided tape/glue they use isn't that great so I've had to doctor some of the vents on the top of the helmet to keep them from separating from the shell.

Also, KBC has NO written warranty. Even on their website their warranty section says "Coming Soon!".

If I were to buy another mid-priced helmet ($150-200), I'd buy a HJC AC-11.
However, my next helmet will definitely be a Shoei or an Arai.

FWIW

Anyone check out the motorcyclist article that showed snell approved helmets were worse for low speed crashes?

BTW, my KBC TK-8 slowly fell apart. Pieces of the face shield snapped off where you change them out. I e-mailed KBC, instead of helping me, they sent the ratchet parts that I DIDN'T need. On the ride I eventually wrecked on, me, Squidward and a friend of his stopped at a gas station to take a break, I took my helmet off, one of the clear vent things on top had FALLEN OFF!

Will never own another KBC again.

Kim

(Even the pros that have reviewed and tested the Scorpions say that it is top notch and would own them over Shoeis and whatnot.)

pdef said:
Anyone check out the motorcyclist article that showed snell approved helmets were worse for low speed crashes?

Just got that issue of Motorcyclist today. Their testing concluded that the Z1R ZRP-1s (aka Strike Razor) came out as a great protective helmet. It's available for $89.99 from Dennis Kirk. I've been looking for a reasonably priced helmet to go with my Nolan N100E flip face. The Z1R looks to fit the bill :-D .

Just wanted to post...me and Squidward went to Motoliberty in Dallas and I picked up my new EXO 700 Scorpion hemmet...all black...and got the chin skirt thing for $7.95. Total price with hemmet was $203 and some change...the lady had put $199.95 on the receipt, because the Scorpion helmets with designs are that much, but the solids are $179.95....Squidward pointed that out to her, and her husband overheard us and said "Well Pam, you just cost yourself $10." and then proceeded to give me and Squidward one of those wrap things you soak in water, wring out, and wear around your neck while riding to keep you cool.

What can I say, bonuses are awesome!

Kim

Scorpion EX0700 review

Well I bit the bullet and bought the EXO700 in a solid silver from Helmet Harbor for $179.99 w/ free shipping. This is my second helmet from them and they are good people. www.helmetharbor.com

My impressions:
My wife commented that it looks cool (as in hip). I like the design as well. Finish on helmet is nice and vent openings look like they will stand test of time. Visor mechanism clicks into each opening w/ a hardy click though I haven't removed visor yet. Inside is soft enough but truth be told I kinda like my KBC VR1 interior better - it seemed softer. It could be that the "Kwik Wik" (which helps interior stay dry) is a bit rougher.

Riding with the helmet is noisy (wear earplugs) but with all the vents, there will be noise. Once plugs are in, helmet is quiet enough. It is a little bit heavier than my VR1 but it does vent the air much better which was my main priority. Going on a long ride this Sat. so we will see if I can handle a 200mi+ ride w/ new helmet. Some have stated visor opens too much on the first click but it seems perfect to me.

Will it replace the $400+ helmets? No, but it is the best $200 helmet going. I would buy another one.

Also, check out www.motorcyclegearreview.com before buying new stuff.

Ride safe, Chris

I also recently picked up an exo700. They run large. I wear a small for AGV and HJC but had to get a medium for the Scorpion.

It vents better than my AGV Demon top and as well as my gf's HJC CL14. Her CL14 is a tad bit lighter, though. The non fog visor works. Initially I didn't realize what a great feature it was. In fact I didn't even know it was a feature since my AGV also has a non fog visor. It wasn't until I tested the HJC I realized fogging sucks.

The helmet is loud, but like they say better ventilation typically = more noise. I tried removing the visor and it's neat I guess. I don't think I'll be able to actually replace shields while I'm wearing it though. The only thing I didn't like about it was the "S" logo and the buttons for the chin strap. Luckily they're both removable. :-)

Overall I'm very satisfied with it and would prefer this over the HJC's any day.

Back