• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda CRF250 X... THOUGHTS?

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a CRF 250x. What should I be aware of? What mods are necessary? What about the small gas tank?

I currently have a KLR 650 and would like a smaller bike to ride the singletrack.

Finally, is it realistic to believe that I can make this bike road worthy i.e. street legal and if so what needs to be done?

:rider:

Here is a link to a guy that has done a lot of work on one.. I have thought about it as a DS bike myself. Everyone seems to be on the same page that it will work good up to 45 or so but if you need to go faster then that it can not do it to well.. (that's what has me looking for a 350 to 400 DS bike)

here is the link..
http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250Xmymods.htm#diffuser

It is a high performance machine. The engine was designed for motocross racing and later given the wide ratio transmission and E-start for the trail version.

Points to ponder on that are the 12.9:1 compression, oil capacity of 2/3 of a quart, and an oil change interval of 10 hours of engine operation under normal conditions, or every ride in dusty or severe conditions.

I love the way these Hondas perform, and have a CRF-450R myself. Its service interval is shorter yet with recommended oil change interval of every three hours of engine operation.

Can it be done? You bet!
Would it be a joy in single track? Oh yes!
It it worth doing? That one I cannot answer one way or the other.

Having a smaller bike as a compliment to the KLR is great fun. My choice is a Honda XR-250R that I converted to dual sport use.
Sometimes I wish it had the power and E start of the CRF-X. For me it was not worth the money and maint hassles of upgrading.

If you are not tied to the H brand you might also look at the KLX 250 and the Yamaha WR-250. Both can be had already street legal. Both have longer maintenance intervals too.

Added note...... the speed is limited by the gearing on these bikes. The CRF comes set up for trails, but sprocket changes will let it do 65-70 easily. My old air cooled XR has that capacity too. Having ridden with folks on the KLX and the WR I can tell you that they are geared for street use and will do 70 no problemo.

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Ed 100% on this one. I have a WR450 and IMO it too is too maintenance intensive to be a practical DS bike. And it holds more oil than the CRF and has longer service intervals.

Now the new factory street legal ones are a different story. I'm really liking those, but in order to stretch the servicing on them, they really de-tuned the motors.

If I really wanted a practical DS bike for the street and the trails, I'd probably either have an XR250, 400, or an older DR350. Small enough to be a blast in the trails, but big enough motor to have some umph on the street. And stone reliable as long as you don't run them out of oil.

It is a high performance machine. The engine was designed for motocross racing and later given the wide ratio transmission and E-start for the trail version.

Points to ponder on that are the 12.9:1 compression, oil capacity of 2/3 of a quart, and an oil change interval of 10 hours of engine operation under normal conditions, or every ride in dusty or severe conditions.

I love the way these Hondas perform, and have a CRF-450R myself. Its service interval is shorter yet with recommended oil change interval of every three hours of engine operation.

Can it be done? You bet!
Would it be a joy in single track? Oh yes!
It it worth doing? That one I cannot answer one way or the other.

Having a smaller bike as a compliment to the KLR is great fun. My choice is a Honda XR-250R that I converted to dual sport use.
Sometimes I wish it had the power and E start of the CRF-X. For me it was not worth the money and maint hassles of upgrading.

If you are not tied to the H brand you might also look at the KLX 250 and the Yamaha WR-250. Both can be had already street legal. Both have longer maintenance intervals too.

Added note...... the speed is limited by the gearing on these bikes. The CRF comes set up for trails, but sprocket changes will let it do 65-70 easily. My old air cooled XR has that capacity too. Having ridden with folks on the KLX and the WR I can tell you that they are geared for street use and will do 70 no problemo.

Thanks great info!

I have a WR250F that is plated. I have a Transalp that is similar in capabilities to your KLR, just a little heavier. I got the WR for singletrack, but I like to go some places where it is nice to be able to ride to the trails, like Cloudcroft, NM. So I plated the WR. I'll be taking it down to Big Bend next week and will probably put 150 miles a day on it. None of it high speed, or at least not the pavement parts.

It works fine, but I wouldn't use it as a regular commuter or a long distance highway bike. Sounds like you have the same idea though and it would be a decent choice.

I have a WR250F that is plated. I have a Transalp that is similar in capabilities to your KLR, just a little heavier. I got the WR for singletrack, but I like to go some places where it is nice to be able to ride to the trails, like Cloudcroft, NM. So I plated the WR. I'll be taking it down to Big Bend next week and will probably put 150 miles a day on it. None of it high speed, or at least not the pavement parts.

It works fine, but I wouldn't use it as a regular commuter or a long distance highway bike. Sounds like you have the same idea though and it would be a decent choice.

Thanks Rusty. How do you deal with the small gas tank doing that many miles per day in an area where gas is scarce?

Right now I carry a 32oz MSR fuel bottle with me. I've got about 100 mile range on the stock tank. Hopefully I plan well enough I don't need more.

I could put a larger tank on, or do like DFW_Warrior and Ed29 and put on a rack and carry a Koplin 1.25 gallon jug. For my bike both cost the same and the rack would be more useful. I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Oh yeah, mine is the WR250F (off road, trail version, with a 5spd tranny, that's been around a while) not the WR250R street legal fuel injected, 6 speed.

I could put a larger tank on, or do like DFW_Warrior and Ed29 and put on a rack and carry a Koplin 1.25 gallon jug. For my bike both cost the same and the rack would be more useful. I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Hold off on pulling that trigger. I'll show you pics of my knee if you really want me to... LOL

Back