• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SB506 Lane Splitting, Please help!

I plan on showing up around 7:15am. Thanks for the reply awflight. Very good information, almost all of which I did not know.

exten1.jpg

How'd it go? I didn't get to sleep until 4am so was pretty sure I'd miss it. If you were there, show up at Ming's tonight and tell us how it went.

GREAT showing. Not as many as I would have loved to have, but... we won over a few of them...

OK kiddies. This is what I have received:

You all did wonderful. The next step is to get the word of support to the whole Senate since the bill will have to go to the floor. The vote was 7-2, with Senators Shapiro and Huffman voting no. I'd appreciate any help you can give with this.

Thank you again!

Huffman was the Senator that protested at the end. She is a newly elected [Dec 2008] through a special election Senator. She has not explained her stance as to why she voted No. From the session - I think it's because she thinks it's a true California-esque fly-by lane split bill. She didn't seem to understand.

Shapiro wasn't present for any of the testimony or explanation.

Time to email EVERYONE as it's GOING TO THE SENATE FLOOR!!!!

Shapiro would be My Senator.

I had a letter Shapiro sent me regarding this after I emailed her. I will have to see what it said if I can locate it again.

When you have a group of your constituents show up it makes a difference.

Good job!!

Thanks for everybody's support that showed up. :clap: I was the second guy to testify. Having considered the proceedings on my way home to Conroe, I think I should have said something else. The guy before me and I said very similar things. Instead, next time, I think it would be better to address the common fear and misunderstanding that non riders have of us. Like Sen Huffman's look of having hundreds of sport bikes wheeling up thru traffic or a gang of cruiser types thundering between lanes if the bill passes. Sort of a South East Asia on steroids. Just won't happen. I figured I'd say something about stupid hurts and nearly every rider know this really well. So in general we try not to be stupid. The fringe type, in any activity, are the ones who do stupid stuff and generally get hurt for it. Or something like that. Still considering....

Does the House have a public hearing when it goes for a vote there?

Does anyone know who the woman was that testified? She said something about having a training school someplace in central Texas.

Who the heck are these TMRA *******s? They want to kill the bill because it requires a helmet? There was a "colorful" character sitting next to me, he said something about killing the bill. Is he representative of the TMRA?

Shapiro would be My Senator.

Same here, I shot her a quick email expressing disappointment in her vote against, and emphasized that this would, within the constraints provided, make the road a safer place for me.

Thanks to Bwana, Azoom, et.al. for showing up in support of this bill.

Bwana, the lady who testified is Moira Zinn and she operates Elite Track Days out of Harris Hill.

To all: The "colorful" TMRA character with the mohawk is Sputnik, the director of TMRA. I have known and worked with him many years. He was no doubt surprised to see anyone else there supporting our rights as he is usually a one man band. He is well respected (I didn't say well liked) around the capitol because of his knowledge of legislative proceedings. Like him or not, he's done more protecting "our" motorcycle rights the past ten or so years than the collective lot of us will do in our lifetimes.

To all: The "colorful" TMRA character with the mohawk is Sputnik, the director of TMRA. I have known and worked with him many years. He was no doubt surprised to see anyone else there supporting our rights as he is usually a one man band. He is well respected (I didn't say well liked) around the capitol because of his knowledge of legislative proceedings. Like him or not, he's done more protecting "our" motorcycle rights the past ten or so years than the collective lot of us will do in our lifetimes.

All well and good... I can/will take exception to his claim of representation in regards to his 'status'/'agenda' in regards to SB 506.
Particularly in regards to his email to the member here and the reported commentary/comments at the Public Hearing.

Thank you much for giving us the info on who's who and all.

Does anyone know who the woman was that testified? She said something about having a training school someplace in central Texas....

Thanks to Bwana, Azoom, et.al. for showing up in support of this bill.

Bwana, the lady who testified is Moira Zinn and she operates Elite Track Days out of Harris Hill.

Hi, I'm Moira. I testified after Jon Elliott - and before you. I was trying to keep the testimony different so we didn't have a bunch of people getting up to say the same thing again and again.

Mad respect for Sputnik. I think it's about time some of us helped pick up the torch to help fight for our rights as motorcyclists. The thing is... that's ALL he does, so he knows it more than well.

If everyone would run off and email their Senators, that would be great...

If everyone would run off and email their Senators, that would be great...

Done! :-) I wish I'd have been able to show up in person.

"I'm pleased to say that SB506 passed committee by a 7:2 vote. I hope to see it placed on the Senate calendar for a full vote by the Senate soon.

I'm asking for your support of this bill.

It will benefit both motorcyclists *and* the cars that share the road. By letting cyclists filter to the front of the line, it allows all the cars that would have been behind them move up and get through traffic lights in fewer cycles.

It gives cyclists the option to protect themselves against rear-end collisions, which are extremely dangerous for a motorcyclist.

It will encourage more riders to leave their cars at home, reducing congestion, pollution, fuel consumption, wear on the roads, and parking congestion.

What's not to like?

Thank you for your consideration,

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

FYI:

Subject: Attention Texas Motorcyclists
To: leekellerking@hotmail.com
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:33:21 -0400

American Motorcyclist Association

Attention Texas Motorcyclists

03/24/2009 Action Alert - Lane Splitting Bill Passes Committee Vote More Info

Senate Bill 506, sponsored by Senator John Carona (R-Dallas), would permit a motorcycle operator and any passenger who wear protective headgear to ride for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same direction during periods of traffic congestion under the following conditions:

(A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour greater than the speed of the other traffic;

(B) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20 miles per hour or less; and

(C) in a location other than a school crossing zone or a location where the posted speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less.

SB-506 was reported favorably out of the Senate Committee on Transportation and Homeland Security on March 20 by a 7-2 vote.

California motorcyclists have been lane splitting for many years; according to the California Highway Patrol website, “Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.”

Now is the time to contact your state senator to let him or her know your position on lane splitting and SB-506. Click here to obtain contact information for your senator.

http://www.senate.state.tx.us/75r/senate/Members.htm

Click here to view the history and text of SB-506.

Back