TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > General Dirtiness

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #1
D.Allen

Inspection Sticker - Location?

I'm way past due for a new inspection sticker on the DR650. I want to ditch the plastic Action Kawasaki/Suzuki license plate frame that the expired inspection sticker is on. I'd like to put the new inspection sticker on the right side of the swing arm, and not have the typical aluminum bracket attached to the license plate. I've seen this done on other's bikes. Has anyone had a problem with the police concerning the location of their inspection sticker?
D.Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
dutchinterceptor

Re: Inspection Sticker - Location?

Yes.

dutchinterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
equipment junkie

One of my dualsport bikes has the inspection sticker on the swing arm (came that way from the previous owner). I've allready been warned by several LEOS (friends of mine that dropped by the house - NOT pulled over on the road - thank god - that happens enough as it is!) that they are begining to enforce more stringently the "proper" placement of the inspection stickers (facing rearward). The sticker on this particular bike expires in 2 or 3 months.
I'll go to cycle gear and buy one of the inexpensive aluminum plates that bolts beneath the license plate with the area for the sticker - no biggie.

Craig aka equipment junkie

'78 Yamaha SR500 (Resto project)
'80 Yamaha SR500 (Running, Riding, Tinkering...)
'99 Honda VFR 800
'00 Honda VFR 800
'03 Ducati Monster 750ie
Suzuki Burgman 650
'05 Suzuki DRZ 400 SM '06 Kawasaki Klr 650
'07 Honda GL 1800 Gold Wing (ABS)
equipment junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
CaroleAnn

Mine is attached to the left side of the bike at the rear wheel. I guess that's the swingarm. Anyway, when I was pulled over a few weeks ago he asked me where it was because it's hard to see (saddlebags cover it). He found it and made no mention of a problem being located there. I can't put the plate below the license plate, my rear light is in the way. The bike had the plate over the license plate but I've put a luggage rack there. The dealer said this was the only option left.

06 Yamaha VStar 1100 Silverado - ~Buster~
07 Yamaha FJR 1300 - Has a happy new home
00 Suzuki VS800 Intruder - Gone but not forgotten
86 Suzuki GS550L - Lemon
78 Honda XL125 - Greatly missed
CaroleAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
Thunderchild

This is disappointing to read. I've been thinking about ditching the sticker plate, and bolting the licence plate to the top of the rear fender, and putting the inspection sticker underneath the plate, or on the swingarm.

I've bent the plate and sticker plate so many times, I don't think I have too many straighting sessions left on it.

What do the LEO's on here think? Is it PC to pull me over if you can see my plate is on the bike, but can't read it from your car? I think I already know the answer, but if I'm doing everything else by the book, would I be stopped?
1984 RZ350
1978 CB400T1
1978 CB750F
Thunderchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
EnduroRdr

Had Inspection Sticker on side of fender (next to tail light) on xr400 and LEO was just fine with it.
I have since changed fenders and now have it on the extension plate under Lic Plate. I think it is a crap shoot weather you get a ticket or not and entirely depends on the LEO.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
patricjft
Forum Supporter

Sorry to revive an old thread. But, could some LEOs out there comment on proper placement of an inspections sticker? thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:44 PM   #8
trainman

I just have one sticker, move it around from bike to bike, what could be better (cheaper) than that.

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Wayne Meuir

I rode a Harley Road King for 3-4 years with the sticker mounted on a plate attached to the frame right above the left floorboard/shifter area and never had a problem. It was that way when I got the bike and I just continued to use it.

Wayne
Wayne Meuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
Bigredpig

i asked and austin leo at bike night and he said as long as i can produce it, it doesnt matter where it is. could be in your wallet. but im pretty sure he was quite bike friendly. you would probably be better off asking someone besides a cop, they cant know all the little bs rules. there has to be somewhere to look things like this up. i forget where i looked up about brake lights when i converted my xr600r to street legal. ask an inspector at the inspection station, they should know. mine is on the swingarm and no problems. yet.
2003 klx400r
06 zx14 (oh yeah!)
Bigredpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:05 PM   #11
owtcast

Not one of my bikes has it in the "normal" spot. The TW has it on the left side frame. Xr250 and 400 have it on one of those cheap aluminum plates that mount under the license plate.... but the plate is upside-down under the rear fender. (they take too much of a beating mounted right side up) It's visible.... barely. I have everything else squared away just in case. If an LEO wants to "investigate" you further, it would likely be a legitimate reason to be stopped. I got nothing to hide.

Terry
owtcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #12
TwoSmokeDS

This aftermarket holder is sharp! It cut me as I was reaching for the tire.
TwoSmokeDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:06 AM   #13
jfink
Forum Supporter

I am having problems with the inspectors now. Some have refused to give me a sticker if it cannot be "viewed from behind". On another negative note, I have noticed they don't ask to do the braking test anymore. I enjoy getting it up to 30 (supposed to be 20) and stopping in about 3/4ths the distance required.

"Every man is born as many men, but dies as only one. - Martin Heidegger

'11 KTM 990 Dakar
'04 Goldwing
'08 KLR650E

Ride to the end of the world
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #14
SDD74

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfink View Post
I am having problems with the inspectors now. Some have refused to give me a sticker if it cannot be "viewed from behind". On another negative note, I have noticed they don't ask to do the braking test anymore. I enjoy getting it up to 30 (supposed to be 20) and stopping in about 3/4ths the distance required.
I had that problem when I got my shadow inspected. He said it had to be visible from the rear. I argued with him for a while about putting it on the swing arm, he wouldnt budge. so he stuck it on the rear fender. when I got home I took the hairdryer to it and pulled it off and stuck it to the swing arm. where he put it you couldnt see it from behind unless you where standing over the fender. I would bet as long as you keep it current and you get pulled over they aint going to say much unless you get an ******* cop.

Last edited by WoodButcher; 05-12-2009 at 10:03 PM. Reason: spelling around filter
SDD74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #15
Tracker

What's an inspection sticker?
- William Pitt

Another post; another NSA red flag goes up somewhere.

Photos for when you're bored.
Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:23 PM   #16
gocatgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
What's an inspection sticker?
I guess you noticed when you got the FZ6 home and noticed the sticker date you knew I felt the same way...
gocatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #17
cpf3

Haven't found anything in the statutes, but this site has a ".pdf" copy of the "Texas Drivers Handbook".

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3971181/Te...cense-Handbook

Placement of the inspection sticker is covered on page 2-1:

" Motorcycles and mopeds shall have the inspection certificate displayed near the rear license plate."
Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Secretblend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpf3 View Post
Haven't found anything in the statutes, but this site has a ".pdf" copy of the "Texas Drivers Handbook".

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3971181/Te...cense-Handbook

Placement of the inspection sticker is covered on page 2-1:

" Motorcycles and mopeds shall have the inspection certificate displayed near the rear license plate."
To me, that's pretty clear cut. Has to be close to where license plate is. If want it on swing arm, just put plate near swing arm.
Secretblend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:34 PM   #19
ZRTRUEBOT

[quote=SDD74;605545]I had that problem when I got my shadow inspected. He said it had to be visible from the rear. I argued with him for a while about putting it on the swing arm, he wouldnt budge. QUOTE]

State inspectors have a handbook with guidelines to go by, just like any one else with a job. If a cop pulls someone over for a violation related to a inspection issue, the officer can find out who performed the inspection (the number in the middle of the sticker that starts with an x) and they could potentially lose their inspectors lisence. This would cause the inspector to lose income. It'd be the same if I showed up to your place of work and asked you to do something you could be demoted for. And yes, the sticker has to be visible from behind.
ZRTRUEBOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
Proxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRTRUEBOT View Post
State inspectors have a handbook with guidelines to go by, just like any one else with a job. If a cop pulls someone over for a violation related to a inspection issue, the officer can find out who performed the inspection (the number in the middle of the sticker that starts with an x) and they could potentially lose their inspectors lisence. This would cause the inspector to lose income. It'd be the same if I showed up to your place of work and asked you to do something you could be demoted for. And yes, the sticker has to be visible from behind.
Wouldn't it just be hearsay at that point thought? "Officer, when I inspected that bike, the sticker was in the right spot. I don't know what to tell you."

...and "near the license plate" is anything but clear cut IMO. Is that 3 feet or 3 inches? There are many other laws that specify (in inches) the placement of things, not sure why this one wouldn't. Now "visible from the rear of the bike", however, is something that isn't really debatable. Well, maybe. Does it have to be straight-on, or will an angle qualify? If it can be at a slight angle, then the swingarm would work.

Of course, all of this is up to the LEO to interpret when they pull you over. I guess the best rule is always to leave no doubt or be prepared for the possibility of an issue.
Proxy is offline   Reply With Quote