• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DFW to Talimena and back...

Reaction score
Yesterday... started at 7 AM (met at Rudy's in Frisco for some breakfast tacos - I learned something new, and it's good :)) to about 7:30 PM. I had 523 miles on the clock for the trip.

Few thoughts:

- Bike performed flawlessly; awesome machine!! Climbing hills etc... just shrugged it off...
- I am thinking that I need to do some windshield research; it was not bad but at times, with HWY and some side wind, I got buffeted a bit. Not eye pinball but still...
- Crampbuster ROCKS!
- Passanger pegs rock! (for me) It allows me to change position significantly and be quite comfortable...
- Beadrider seat cover rocks! :)

The route taken is here:

http://tinyurl.com/talim-09

If you are nervous about clicking on those - you can preview it here:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/talim-09

Started bright and early:

CIMG9335.JPG

Rudy's breakfast tacos... mmmm... 3 of us went:

CIMG9337.JPG

Started kind of boring:

CIMG9338.JPG

I think it is Oklahoma:

CIMG9344.JPG

Getting somewhere:

CIMG9346.JPG

CIMG9349.JPG

Somewhat blurry, but one of many bridges we went over:

CIMG9350.JPG

My buddies behind me:

CIMG9351.JPG

It was just an awesome day:

CIMG9353.JPG

Started on the Talimena Byway from Mena:

CIMG9354.JPG

Sharkey likes!

CIMG9355.JPG

Trees etc:

CIMG9357.JPG

Nice road eh:

CIMG9358.JPG

CIMG9362.JPG

Sharkey likes!

CIMG9364.JPG

Some sort of watch tower:

CIMG9365.JPG

Awww, I likes:

CIMG9368.JPG

Various:

CIMG9370.JPG

CIMG9373.JPG

Ah the smell of pine needless:

CIMG9377.JPG

CIMG9378.JPG

In lower areas already:

CIMG9380.JPG

CIMG9381.JPG

CIMG9383.JPG

CIMG9384.JPG

Yeah definitely getting close to Texas now:

CIMG9385.JPG

Blurry but it says Welcome to Texas:

CIMG9386.JPG

It ended on a somewhat dramatic note with storms rolling in from the South:

CIMG9387.JPG

It started raining as I was pulling into the garage; I am guessing my two buddies got rained on...

It was fun!

You need to try a Madstad bracket for your V-strom before you start changing windshields.

I love the graphic on your bike!! Too cool!! Glad you got a nice ride in to the Parkway. It's still our favorite destination! Thanks for sharing.

Very nice, and thanks for posting the route. Back at the end of the year when I did my book trip, I was looking at just this type of ride to Arkansas and back in a day. I didn't have any decent routes so I did my alternate plan. I'm definitely marking down your route for a future getaway. With a new baby in the house I can really only steal away for a day at a time at the moment...maybe. Thanks again, and the pics are great.

Yeah... I need to go do some research, that's what I need :) It's definitely an option though - thanks!

I spent quite a bit of money going full circle on my ex '06 DL1000. What worked for me in the end was putting 5/8" spacers at the bottom of the shield, with it in the middle position. I round tripped to Central California with that set up with no problems or wants for anything else. Might try this before spending any money on new shields. ;-)

I spent quite a bit of money going full circle on my ex '06 DL1000. What worked for me in the end was putting 5/8" spacers at the bottom of the shield, with it in the middle position. I round tripped to Central California with that set up with no problems or wants for anything else. Might try this before spending any money on new shields. ;-)

+1!!

That is actually what I am in the process of testing now; I put it on the highest "magical hidden 4th position" + some spacers... Some more tweaking is required. I have few more ideas to try + I have an idea to make a bracket that will help me test even more. :trust:

Back