• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I Should Be Happy But Still Lusting For Another Bike

Tesla

Reaction score
First Name
Barry
Got the fever for a 2nd bike. Unfortunately can't afford to have 2 which means I may sell my trusty 2008 V-Strom 650 ABS. Who knew when I bought it last year that the wife suddenly decided she wants to ride not just locally but occasionally on longer trips as well. I love this bike and I might be making a big mistake selling it. Wife is fairly comfortable on this bike and she likes sitting up high......kinda like the truck/suv effect. She doesn't like its sensitivity to wind but it helps that it doesn't bother me which makes her more comfortable. Besides all bikes get affected by the wind to a degree. Told her we'd both be more comfortable on a true sport/touring bike. I think I might be using her as an excuse to get something different and more powerful like an FJR (145hp?!). Many of you will say don't do it, that the Wee has adequate power for 2-up and plenty for solo riding, that all bikes are affected by wind, Wee is easy to work on, is reliable, can set it for touring or dual sport, etc. My lust for another bike is that I am still a bike newbie. Only been riding for 2 years. Started on a naked Suzuki GS500 and then went to a 2K5 Wee and then a 2K8 Wee. I get a rush cracking that throttle in the sweet spot of the power band but at 64 hp, I feel like I'm missing out. Should I just starve the fever and keep the Wee? This would be a no brainer if I could just have 2 bikes.

Barry

Last edited:
If you can get a rental to try out, I strongly suggest you do it. A few $$ now may save you $$$$$$ later.

Keep in mind any bike you try will give you that new bike high and thrill, just because it's new to you. Try to ignor that feeling and evaluate the bike for what it really is and does for you.

Consider what will need to be changed to make the bike fit you better and what the cost will be.
What is the comfort like for the back seat? Do the pegs force the passengers legs into an uncomfortable fold? Is the slop of the seat pushing the passenger into you. Stuff like that.

Make a list of wants and needs, then go from there. Good luck.

Title says it all, "I should be happy...." but you're not. And you won't be until you get the bike that makes you happy.

Brass has a good idea with a rental, however, once you've ridden it you can't un-ride it. Once you know what you're missing you'll probably be eaten up with new bike fever.

+1 on doing the rental thing. If your buying new ride the C14 and FJR and the new Beemer. But there are a lot of really good deals on used FJRs right now that have been all farkled up or just plain stock. If they have been maintained these baikes are good for very high mileage. I have an 2005 and really like it. I also have a M109R that my wife will ride on the back of for about 20 min at a time. The FJR w/a corbin and backrest is more comfortable for her and she's good for an hour or two on it. There are no perfect bikes, just get one that suites you for the type of riding your doing now.

The true sport tourers (FJR, ST, Connie, etc.) are GREAT mile munchers and handle much better than they should for 650+ lbs. bikes BUT they will all seem heavy coming off your 650. I also recommend renting something for at least a weekend. And don't just go blasting around the roads but spend some time in parking lots, around town, etc. to make sure you won't miss the V Strom's light weight and gravel road capablity too much.

1) Got the fever for a 2nd bike. Unfortunately can't afford to have 2.....

2) My lust for another bike is that I am still a bike newbie.....

3) I get a rush cracking that throttle in the sweet spot of the power band but at 64 hp, I feel like I'm missing out......

4) Should I just starve the fever and keep the Wee?...

5) This would be a no brainer if I could just have 2 bikes.

Barry

1) Why not?
2) No. You may think so, but it doesn't go away. I am looking to buy my third "new to me" bike in 3 years right now.
3) You are!
4) No. Make the change. My thoughts would be an FJR like some have mentioned. I have the ST, but wish I had the FJR.
5) I said why not above, but since you use the Wee like a sport tourer and you are thinking about another sport tourer, it doesn't make sense. I have 2 sport tourers in my GPZ and ST and it's a waste - I'll get rid of GPZ soon

I now own a Wee and could not be happier. Smallest street ride I ever owned. Last ride was a Ninja 750... lust for power is a dangerous thing. I found I could not control my right wrist and had a tendency toward hooliganism. As I near the half century mark I feel very comfortable on my Wee. That Tiger is cool though....

1) Why not?
2) No. You may think so, but it doesn't go away. I am looking to buy my third "new to me" bike in 3 years right now.
3) You are!
4) No. Make the change. My thoughts would be an FJR like some have mentioned. I have the ST, but wish I had the FJR.
5) I said why not above, but since you use the Wee like a sport tourer and you are thinking about another sport tourer, it doesn't make sense. I have 2 sport tourers in my GPZ and ST and it's a waste - I'll get rid of GPZ soon

Like that FJR but leaning to an ST due the the smoothness of the V-twin. Which has the better riding position for a tall guy?

I've accepted the fact that I may not like my next ride as much as the Wee but its a transition that I have to through.

I'm kicking myself for selling an 05 Wee last year to buy the 08 Wee. I could justify keeping the 05 and buying an FJR or ST but have too much money in the 08 to keep it.

Code:
How about a DL 1000 (Capitol V-Strom)

No ABS

Got the fever for a 2nd bike..... Told her we'd both be more comfortable on a true sport/touring bike. I think I might be using her as an excuse to get something different and more powerful like an FJR (145hp?!)......I get a rush cracking that throttle in the sweet spot of the power band but at 64 hp, I feel like I'm missing out.....Barry

Like that FJR but leaning to an ST due the the smoothness of the V-twin. Which has the better riding position for a tall guy?

I've accepted the fact that I may not like my next ride as much as the Wee but its a transition that I have to through.

I'm kicking myself for selling an 05 Wee last year to buy the 08 Wee. I could justify keeping the 05 and buying an FJR or ST but have too much money in the 08 to keep it...
Back to your first post about the rush of cracking the throttle, 20hp difference in a car is noticable, 20hp difference on a bike is night and day, especially when it is on a bike that is almost a hundred pounds lighter. Not to take away anything from the ST, they are great bikes. They are very smooth but they are V-4 not V-twins

Numbers to consider
Honda ST1300 125hp 80lbs tq 730lbs
Yamaha FJR1300 145hp 103lbs tq 641lbs

Sell the Wee, buy an older Wee, buy a used FJR.

I agree:mrgreen:

Nothing wrong with multiple bikes. The way to accomplish this is patients and persistence.

Barry, nothing wrong with that Wee Strom, but when my wife and I did trips on my FJR, that xtra power was MUCH appreciated riding 2-up with the bags and top trunk loaded down whenever we needed to do a quick passing manuver. I considered it a safety feature of the bike! When riding solo I did sometimes wish for something lighter though but it was never really a problem. The FJR is a great bike. 26,000 mile valve adjustment intervals on it are nice too. If you look for a Gen 2 bike (2006 to present), make sure the ignition recall has been done. If it hasn't, it's a no charge update from any dealer.

Craig

Are you still shopping Barry?

+1 on the FJR. IMHO, it's engine is easily as smooth as the ST1300 and seems to have considerably more giddy-up. I just enjoyed riding it much more than I did the ST. In fact, after the test ride of the ST, it went from high on my short list (based on reviews, etc.) to dropping off the list completely:shrug:.

After test-riding multiple sport-touring bikes (ST1300, R1150RT, C-14, FJRs GenI and GenII, 2003 and 2006 BMW K1200GT), I narrowed it down to a 2007 FJR (GenII is 2006 and newer) and the '06 K1200GT. It became a tough call as I liked them both quite a lot. I opted for the used '07 FJR since it included the extended factory warranty until 11/2012 and the Yammie dealer is right down the road. The nearest BMW dealer is almost 100 miles away. Pity, the K-bike (152hp, Std. Cruise and ABS, Electronic Suspension Adjustment) is very impressive.

You like the Wee, but want something bigger and more powerful? Try a Triumph Tiger. Most dealers have a demo too.

There is always the living room. Then the dining room. And, if you still need more space, the kitchen.

I'll never forget the look on my wife's face the 1st time she saw my house and my 74 Kawasaki 500 was parked in the dining room! (Fast forward 18 months later) When we were married I agreed to move it when we got a garage. It wasn't long before the carport got enclosed and made into a garage! :lol2:

Back