• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A question from the new guy who doesnt know

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity does a tank bag sit on top of your gas tank (what Im assuming) or is a tank bag one of the bags that sits over your rear seat?

I need something to carry some extra cargo for when I ride to work or school. I have thought about a backpack but I figured I would ask about alternative first.

Sits on the gas tank. Some are magnetic and others require straps.

Adios,

I have seen a removable bag (soft) on the back called a "tail bag".

A permanently mounted hard-shell one in the back is usually called a "top case".

:tab Tailbags generally are meant to be strapped to the backseat. Some tailbags are designed to work with the side bags. Tourmaster makes their Cortech bags and the tailbag just clips to the side bags. Very convenient.

:tab Tankbags can be great. Some people get a bit carried away and have such huge bags they can hardly see over them. Personally, I don't like the bag to interfere with my view of the dash or with movement of the handlbars and operation of the controls. Sounds obvious, but I have seen a LOT of loaded bikes where this was an issue.

:tab As long as I am sitting down, I like the BMW tankbag on my GS. However, when offroading, I prefer to stand quite often and the bag can get in the way. It keeps me from getting forward over the gas tank as far as I would like.

Adios,

I converted my magnetic tank bag to straps. Nylon strapping and plastic buckles can be found at any good sewing/fabric store.

Here's my bag attached magnetically to my old Bandit...
banditcockpit.jpg

Here it is now. I removed the magnet flaps and sewed some straps and buckles on it...
0505cbaileystopbox.jpg

My tank is metal. I have never looked at the RT's as they don't really interest me ;-) The new GS tanks are plastic, like so much of the rest of the bike...

Adios,

Back