• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big, rarely used torque wrench wanted

Reaction score
Ok,

So I need a torque wrench that'll tighten down my rear wheel 22mm fastener to 170 Nm (which is...lessee...carry the 1, adjust for wind....convert to daylight savings...125.46 ft-lb).

Can anyone recommend a good quality torque wrench? Is Harbor Freight too cheap (quality)? Should I just go to Sears and be done with it?

I don't particularly wanna go super duper premium, since I won't use it but Every Now & Again...

thx...

Thanks, Chuck.

I was also surprised about the shorter warranty.

Looks like this is the wrench to get from Sears. $200, yoiks.

00934881000-dlv.jpg

The handle seems kind of short for a 200 Nm tightener-upper.

I like my Craftsman - use it all the time. Actually I also have two - one for each range. They are calibrated in both newton meters as well as foot pounds so no arithmetic!

Just think how much money you save in shop fees, and the peace of mind of using good tools to protect your ride, it's well worth the price.

Dave.

Do you have any local friends with one? I know I rely on neighbors and friends when it comes time that I need a tool that I can't justify purchasing myself. A six-pack usually does the trick. ;-)

Bike maintenance night!

Who's got the beer? We going to Squeaky's? I need somebody to show me how to get all this plastic off the K-bike!

Dave.

mlinkibikr said:
Bike maintenance night! Who's got the beer? We going to Squeaky's? I need somebody to show me how to get all this plastic off the K-bike!

If I hosted it, y'all would have to bring all the tools with you! Instead, we can plan another maintenance day at you-know-who's (cough, admin) house....

Squeaky said:
If I hosted it, y'all would have to bring all the tools with you!

I thought that you had a hammer? :-P

Back on topic - the two wrenches I bought were the $75 variety (I think I accidentally hit a sale, they were less) - didn't see those really expensive ones...
:roll:

mlinkibikr said:
Just think how much money you save in shop fees, and the peace of mind of using good tools to protect your ride, it's well worth the price.

I agree with the latter statement, but w.r.t. the former, that's a lotta shop fees before I justify the cost of all the toolage.

Squeaky said:
Do you have any local friends with one?

Yup, guy across from me has a ton of tools, loaned me his Matco wrench. I should probably just use his. But I kind of like having the tool my ownself. But I'm cheap. But... :-|

Do you have any local friends with one?

Hey Buck, dunno about local friends but I overheard a conversation at EuroSportCycle in Foat Wuth Tuesday afternoon - a couple of guys were talking about a "buck zero zero zero" on a forum that was looking for some type of bike... Can't be too many of those! :shock:

I didn't catch it all, we were getting the wife's Atlantic checked in for its 600 mile first maintenance. I didn't get a chance to find out if it was someone from here or another board. He had a jacket on, so he had ridden in that afternoon (late, like 5:30 PM).

Maybe the speaker will see this and chime in... :-D

Shoot, I have missed too many folks from the forum here at that place - I think I am going to wear my TWT T-shirt everytime I go over there... :oops:

I have a Home Depot, Husky that was cheap, and it has to be more acurate than my calibrated arm!

Torqued

I've got one (craftsman) that's maybe been used three or four times. I have two actually but the other one is for lighter weights up to 250 in/lbs. You're welcome to just borrow it. I'm in Pflugerville. PM me and we can figure out when you can pick it up, if you're interested.

I would say that Craftsman is as good as any of them unless you have some sort of specialty application.

Back