• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Resale Took A Hit Today...

OK... found the instructions and here's the part I was referring to.

Attachments

• Loobman Breather.jpg
    Loobman Breather.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 198
Okay! From the little I see of your instructions, they have totally revised the instruction sheet. Now it's numbered. And the Tube is inserted just about one inch inside the cap now to prevent the hot bottle effects. You have to squeeze the bottle to get the oil to reach the feed tube and watch it fill the catch tube and not overflow it.
For starters I just put in what ever oil I had laying about the shop ( Kawasaki 10W40 was the victim this time ) to see if the system was going to work as I routed the tube in a downwards slant from the fairing all the way down and across to the left swingarm where I mounted the delivery to the sprocket.
So far , looking good and it doesn't take that 10W40 oil long to get to the feeder at the sprocket. Even though some of my old buddies say it looks like a Urine Collection Bottle up there. ;-) But, they are for the most part, cruiser riders so what do they know. ha ha ha ha.

I had a camera incident last week so waiting on a new one to arrive. At that time, I'll do pictures of the set up I did.

Congrats on your milestone! Too bad about your resale value though... :trust:

I was so impressed with the mileage you got from your chains and the Loobman I ordered 2. Loobman sent them on wednesday and they arrived in my mailbox on the next Monday. Not too shabby for snail mail from London to Arizona.

I did take pictures of the instal on my '07 bandit, which I put here

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e134/RichBinAZ/Bandit Loobman/?action=view&current=IMG_0047.jpg

Just click the pictures across the top left to advance, comments are underneath.

I tried 80-90 gear oil and it took 20 minutes for the oil to crawl down the tube. I have 2 1/2 quarts of ATF from a car we no longer own, so that is going in next. When that runs out it will be used engine oil. I don't see how a chain would know the difference.

Great job with the 100K too.
Rich

P.S.
I added a tube to the short internal tube they now provide, so I can get the oil from the bottom of the bottle. I was going to keep the cap loose and tighten it only to shoot the oil into the siphon break, then loosen it again. Wonder how long I can remember to do that for.

Nice job Rich.... I see they still supply the bailing wire and zip ties. For a little different take on the installation check out what I did.

Link To Other Forum

I like the way you did the attachment to your swingarm more better than what I did. Looks much cleaner. Guess I'll have to re-arrange mine next time I have the bike on the bench for something. ;-).

I just received my new camera yesterday afternoon so will try to get some pictures of my set up and post.

That is a nice swingarm bracket. The wire method is pretty flexible and wimpy. Perhaps I should go over the Ace hardware and see what chunks of aluminum or stainless they have laying around. Their "Hobby center" is a good place to start.

After 3 hours yesterday I thought the 80-90 oil had made it's way all the way thru... noooo, there was a nice puddle under the oiler this morning!

Just a question and I hope it doesn't come across as overly critical - have you ever had your oil analyzed?

Congrats on the milestone.

LOL Yeah, I'd personally bet you're throwing a lot of oil away way too early. Your oil company does thank you. Oil analysis isn't expensive, and would give you a far better idea what your useful oil change interval would be. This would potentially save you a couple bucks and save the environment a little bit. Just a friendly suggestion. I use fully synth, and have done analysis at 8000 miles and the oil had plenty of life left. I know you're not using synth, but you're using a quality oil that I can't imagine wouldn't go 4000 miles or more.

LOL Yeah, I'd personally bet you're throwing a lot of oil away way too early. Your oil company does thank you. Oil analysis isn't expensive, and would give you a far better idea what your useful oil change interval would be. This would potentially save you a couple bucks and save the environment a little bit. Just a friendly suggestion. I use fully synth, and have done analysis at 8000 miles and the oil had plenty of life left. I know you're not using synth, but you're using a quality oil that I can't imagine wouldn't go 4000 miles or more.

Something to be said about cheap insurance. Buy the Rotella at 10 bucks a jug at Wally World and rest easy. His experience with the stuff has made me make the switch from Mobil 1. FWIW... Jay recycles his used oil, so the enviroment is safe.

Two points....

Then why not replace every 200 miles? I didn't suggest that I knew his interval was unnecessary, but that he find out rather than assume.

And

Disposal of used oil is not the only environmental impact.

Never have - might make a good case study but I'm not sure I really want to know.

Funny thing happened once years ago when I took the oil out of one engine, mixed it well and put it in two sample bottles. Sent in to required company for analyst. Came back with two different readings and advise from Change oil to oil good. To look at bearings to all is okay to run.

Even today in the industrial world ( I did over 30 years as drilling rig mechanic ) you best know whom is checking your oil. You may even try what I did that one time to verify your said company.

That being said, I'm running Mobile 1 at present ( just switched after 20,000 miles on Castrol GTX 10W40 ) and plan on changing at 5000 miles from now on along with filter.

Like everything in life, I'm sure there is a variation in testing labs, as well as anomalies in lab techs.

That's the best one I've heard of, yes.

Because he would have to change it at least two times per riding day. ;-)

LOL Yeah, I hear that! I guess the point is that calling it "cheap insurance" sounds good but let me ask you this... Would you take out an insurance policy for $10 that pays you $10,000 if a micro asteroid hits you in the arm and causes you to lose the use of your arm? Would you call that "cheap insurance"? If your oil is at 70% good when you change it (as an example) I wouldn't call it "cheap insurance" no matter how inexpensive it is... it's unnecessary insurance. I'm just saying "if" because I don't know. I only suggest that people find out, rather than assume.

Last edited:
That's the best one I've heard of, yes.

LOL Yeah, I hear that! I guess the point is that calling it "cheap insurance" sounds good but let me ask you this... Would you take out an insurance policy for $10 that pays you $10,000 if a micro asteroid hits you in the arm and causes you to lose the use of your arm? Would you call that "cheap insurance"? If your oil is at 70% good when you change it (as an example) I wouldn't call it "cheap insurance" no matter how inexpensive it is... it's unnecessary insurance. I'm just saying "if" because I don't know. I only suggest that people find out, rather than assume.

Agreed and I'm as cheap as they come. However, it would seem to me that there could be many variables that could affect the longevity of oil, while in use (e.g. the number of miles that you could get out of it). Some bad gas, dusty/dirty conditions, budding engine/bearing issues, etc. Call me old school (I'm 50) but I was taught to change it every 3K so thats what I do and I've never had an issue. I'm pretty sure that I could go longer but its cheap enough to change it and I don't want to take any chances. I normally don't try to push things to the limit, like oil and tire changes. We will just have to agree to disagree Morgan :-). 22 bucks = two oil changes and I don't have to worry about questionable lab results.

Back