Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser
TWT Site Sponsor

Event changes starting in 2010

Edited: 1/17/2010

Starting in 2010 I'm planning on making some significant changes to the yearly events I organize.

I've had a number of requests from riders to rotate the location of the events. I like the idea and after discussing it with some fellow adventure riders I think I have figured out a way to reasonably make that happen.

I plan to rotate the ds adv rallies between Junction, TX; Clarksville, Arkansas; Cloudcroft, New Mexico; and Galeana, Mexico

Going forward I'm planning to run 3 events per year and 1 tour. The Around the Bend event will still be in Feb. The other 2 annual events will be on Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day weekend, but the location will rotate year to year.

For 2010 I'm planning MexTrek on Memorial Day weekend and an Arkansas rally on Labor Day weekend.

I'm also working on an annual 8 day tour of Mexico during Thanksgiving week. Each year the tour would visit a different part of Mexico. Over the next 3 years I'm wanting to tour Copper Canyon, Sierra Gorda, and Espinoza del Diablo. I haven't worked out all the logistics of the tour yet, so I don't really have any additional info about it to share right now.

My goal continues to be to contribute what I can to the ds adv community. Hopefully these changes will be well received and will help keep the rallies fun and interesting.

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Dirt, sweat & gears - adventure is calling

Last edited by Trail Boss; 01-17-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Trail Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:23 PM   #2
JasonJ

Re: Event changes starting in 2010

big bend, arkansas and new mexico.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Mad*Sparrow

Looking forward to the coming year! I need to get my passport updated.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
skinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
Starting in 2010 I'm planning on making some significant changes to the Texas Adventure yearly events.

I've had a number of requests from riders to rotate the location of the events. I like the idea and after discussing it with some fellow adventure riders I think I have figured out a way to reasonably make that happen.

I plan to rotate the ds adv rallies between Junction, TX; Clarksville, Arkansas; Cloudcroft, New Mexico; and Galeana, Mexico

Going forward I'm planning to run 3 events per year and 1 tour. The Around the Bend event will still be in Feb. The other 2 annual events will be on Memorial Day Weekend and Labor Day weekend, but the location will rotate every other year, rotating between Junction, AR, NM, and Mexico every 2 years.

For 2010 I'm planning an Arkansas rally on Memorial Day weekend and a New Mexico rally on Labor Day weekend.

For 2011 I'm planning on TAR on Memorial Day weekend and MexTrek on Labor Day weekend.

I'm also working on an annual 8 day tour of Mexico during Thanksgiving week. Each year the tour would visit a different part of Mexico. Over the next 3 years I'm wanting to tour Copper Canyon, Sierra Gorda, and Espinoza del Diablo. I haven't worked out all the logistics of the tour yet, so I don't really have any additional info about it to share right now.

My goal continues to be to contribute what I can to the ds adv community. Hopefully these changes will be well received and will help keep the rallies fun and interesting.
Here are a few tips about planning a ride around Cloudcroft.
Memorial Day week-end almost always has partial fire restrictions in place. Which means all single track and all but the main forest service roads are closed. Some years it will be too dry for even those roads to be open.
If there are partial fire restrictions in place, lodging will usually be available. If they have a wet spring and there are no restrictions, you'll probably not be able to find a place to stay unless you book well in advance.
By the end of summer, there will have been enough rain to remove any fire restrictions, but since that's the last holiday of the summer, the lodging is really in short supply....and there will be at least 12,000,000 people in the forest....and almost all of the cabins or motels will only accept a 3 day (or more) reservation on holiday week-ends...

Hope this helps...
Old 07-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser
TWT Site Sponsor

skinny,

Thanks for the info about Cloudcroft. I was planning on Labor Day weekend there but it sounds like lodging will likely be an issue. Ideas? Alternate locations (Ruidosa?)

"Nice bike. Have you taken her to Mexico? All bikes want their owners to take them there. " - tricepilot

Old 07-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
skinny

Quote:
skinny,

Thanks for the info about Cloudcroft. I was planning on Labor Day weekend there but it sounds like lodging will likely be an issue. Ideas? Alternate locations (Ruidosa?)
Ruidoso is worse than Cloudcroft on Labor Day. That's the week-end for the biggest horse race of the year, so there are people from all over the southwest and Mexico pouring in. Nearly every town in New Mexico has some kind of Labor Day Fair or similar event, which makes it difficult to find lodging on short notice. All of the mountain areas in New Mexico are pretty much packed on Labor Day.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser
TWT Site Sponsor

Well, Darn.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:12 AM   #8
bigdon55

Richard the Mexico tour sounds like a blast. I would Love to go but Thanksgiving is my favorite family Holiday!
It sounds like changing the event locations may take some pressure off the locals that don't like us in there area.
I feel sorry for the businesses that do appreciate us!
bigdon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
tricepilot
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdon55 View Post

I would love to go but Thanksgiving is my favorite family Holiday!
+1

This is me getting smacked at Casa Tricepilot by the esposa when I tell her I'm leaving the largest family gathering of the year over Thanksgiving to go to Mexico....again.

Single guys will have fewer problems but guys with spouses and kids especially will next on the block after the turkey for planning to be gone without the family that particular holiday.

Bob
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM   #10
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser
TWT Site Sponsor

Bob,

Tell your esposa that your family can celebrate Thanksgiving any day you want - don't be a slave to THE MAN and have your Thanksgiving dictated to you. Set yourself free! Pick your own Thanksgiving day. That or bribe your wife with a bunch of money to spend while you are out riding.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
tricepilot
Forum Supporter

Quote:

Tell your esposa that your family can celebrate Thanksgiving any day you want - don't be a slave to THE MAN and have your Thanksgiving dictated to you.

Come down and tell THAT to my biker chick wife

tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #12
Dave Bell

I may be the only one, but I am sorry to hear that Mexico may only happen every two years. I mean, at age 61 I've got a few years left and want to take advantage of every opportunity to ride Mexico, which is my favorite. I guess I'll have to get together with one or two people and go on my own...

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...513844260&ap=1

Iron Butt Member #22319
2005 Dakar 650 "Vera Wang"
2011 Ural Gear Up "Vlad the impaler"
2008 Yamaha WR250R "El Burrito"
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
gixxerjasen

Looking forward to getting an ADV/DS bike someday. This looks like it'd be lots of fun.
Past Bikes: 1997 Katana 600-wrecked | 2000 CBR600F4-Stolen | 2001 GSX-R600-Stolen | 1989 Honda CB1-Sold | 2001 Suzuki TL1000R-Traded | 1992 Suzuki Bandit 400-Sold | 2004 Suzuki GSX-R600-Sold | 2007 DR-Z400SM-Traded | 2003 Yamaha FZ1-Wrecked | 2003 Yamaha FZ1 II-Sold
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #14
cotton

Event changes starting in 2010

Richard,
I like the Idea of moveing the locations and dates around. REALLY like the Idea of 8 days in different parts of Mexico, What a great place to ride. TOO bad it will never happen for me. Thanksgiving is a family weekend, just as much as Christmas and Easter. Never missed one in 59 years, not about to start. Some of my family members drive for 8 hours to gather at the old homestead. This is the only day of the year that all of my extended family (Uncles, cousins) get together. If you can plan another time for 8 days in Mexico, I would like to go.
Cotton
cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #15
TXwhitewater

Richard, when are you going to just bite the bullet, go into the MC Tour business full time?
Then you could stay at home, slave over the grille in the backyard on Memorial Day, Labor Day. Say grace over the dead turkey on the family dining table at Thanksgiving? - VBG -

Think about it, there's enough ORF's (Old Retired Farts) around, you could keep busy all year long. 10 bike max with 8 clients, you and a swamper. Hire me to drive the Crew cab pulling the trailer. Spring & Fall in Texas, Arkansas. Summers in Colorado, New Mexico. Winters, all over Mexico.

Just Do It...
rafter @ bga.com

AMA 278399 (American Motorcyclist Association)
VJMC 3173 (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club)
FSSNOC 4695 (Four Stroke Singles Nat. Owners Club)
GWRRA 175436 (Goldwing Road Riders Association)
Yamaha XS/XJ 1100 Owners Association
TXwhitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #16
Trail Boss
TWT Advertiser
TWT Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXwhitewater View Post
Richard, when are you going to just bite the bullet, go into the MC Tour business full time?
Randy,

It wouldn't be all that hard to talk me into doing it. My wife, on the other hand, would require more persuasion than you and I combined possess. And you and I are persuasive fellows.

Seriously, though, if I could figure a way to transition from the corp world to MC tour and rally business without losing my home, wife, kids, retirement savings, etc in the process I'd do it in a heart-beat.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
bigdon55

Just Do It !
bigdon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #18
WoodButcher
Administrator

hey, if we could come up with a good business plan I'd be in with you.

"Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson

1999 DR650 - still not from this century
2009 R1200GS Adventure - finally, a new bike
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:43 PM   #19
RacerJohn
TWT Site Sponsor
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Seriously, though, if I could figure a way to transition from the corp world to MC tour and rally business without losing my home, wife, kids, retirement savings, etc in the process I'd do it in a heart-beat.
hmmm.....oookaaaay.........but, are those your *only* objections?!?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:32 AM   #20
jackflash

Richard,
Could a few TWs make it on these trips? I have always wanted to take them on a long trip. Longest I have rode on one in one day is about 125 miles and I was just having fun. Don't think I could do the Mexico trip because of work, but the others sound like a ton of fun.

By the way the TWs have been regeared and loaded they'll run 60 with no issues.
jackflash is offline   Reply With Quote