• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pie Run I: 5 Year Anniversary in Hico - c-c-cold!

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Got back an hour ago. Too darn cold to enjoy the ride, but it was nice inside the Koffee Kup. There were a few show up, and I passed some still arriving when I left slightly before noon. Camera snapshot (slightly tinkered with :))

Attachments

• koffeekup0130.jpg
    koffeekup0130.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 378
30 degrees in Seward Junction and the temperature dropped to 26 along parts of the route. Full electric jacket liner and gloves, heated grips and seat and I was still shivering when we pulled into the Koffee Kup. :giveup:

Those with far less comfort and convenience oriented bikes and no electrics have my respect. The food and company were great and at least the sun came out and it got up to 43 on the ride home. :sun:

Last edited:
My hat is off to those without electrics as well....

I met the Austin group at Seward Junction with about 10 bikes already there. When we departed, I counted 18 bikes so there was a good showing. The trip up was cold and a few patches of ice from the road weeps kept everyone on their best behavior. The bar ditches were full and iced over which provided for a surreal sensation.

PieMan V1.0 and PieMan V2.0 did an excellent job in organizing this one. TM's kids were also great providing services for the drawings of the donated sponsor items.

2010PieRun1_Hico015.jpg

Always good to see old friends, and tie screen names to new friends.

Chuck and Chris presented the ?owner? of the Koffee Kup a plaque celebrating five years of pie runs at their location.
2010PieRun1_Hico025.jpg

The run back to Austin finally turned out nice around 2:30 with sunny skies and warming temps.

Again, thanks to TM, Pie Man 1 & 2, the sponsors and the Koffee Kup for a great day!

Last edited:
:tab Thanks to all those that came out and braved the cold! I did not get a head count, but I was surprised at the number that showed up in light of the cold. I am sure Chuck got a good count. It was 27 F when we left Austin and I think I saw it hit 28 F for a moment or two before dropping right back to 27 F for the remainder of the afternoon. I think we saw 34 F as we were cruising home on Hwy 6 back toward Waco. The truck was toasty warm, but I had to make good use of ear plugs... ;-) Also, thanks for everyone braving the cold in the parking lot for the door prize drawings. Thanks also to all my little helpers. I think there were five or six kids taking turns doing the drawing of names. A big thanks to Lone Star BMW, MotoLiberty, Cli-Max, Texas Adventure Rides and RideSmart for all the prizes. With all the shafties in the parking lot, it took forever to get rid of all the chain lube!! :lol2: :doh: It really was great seeing so many folks. I was afraid there would be very few in attendance because of the weather. We need to figure out a way to rationalize moving our anniversary to April/May :trust:

Still full from breakfast and Pie at 10am!

Pie Man V1:

Pie Man V2:

treybrad and i, with redbrown leading, took the long way round to get back to austin. came upon a few water crossings along the way. only 2 of note though. we can up to one and treybrad and rb with their gps's planned a reroute while i held onto my heated grip as if they were the last 2 places of warmth on earth.
bikes005.jpg

the other we came to as we crested a hill on some county road. i was assuming we would be turning around again. i was thinking it's not far back to 183 when i see treybrad shrug his shoulders and proceed ahead. i couldnt hear what they had said to each other but this is how they're conversation played out in my head.

RB: well, what ya think we should do?

treybrad: just because u can't see the bottom doesn't mean it isn't there.

RB: want to give it a go?

treybrad: [shrugs shoulders] sure.

treybrads bandit enters the abyss as rb and i watch. he climbs out the other side of the gorge with a cloud of steam surrounding him. rb enters as i watch. he exits in the same manner as treybrad. i'm thinking well, it has warmed up to 42 so if i take a swim at least it wont be cold. so i let out on the clutch, look down and choose my path......

i learned two things today.....

1. the ST must not be as heavy as i thought. because apparently the lower plastics can be used as a skiff if the water is high enough.

2. my sidi canyon really are water proof.

the rest of the way was nice and easy as it warmed up to 45 at one point before i pulled into the garage.

thanks fer leadin red

Robin and I also took the long route back to DFW. Highest temp I saw all day was 36 when we went through the Lake Whitney area. Robin got back to her place in Dallas just before 6 and I got back to Terrell about 10 after 6.

It was nice seeing all the folks at Hico. I'll try to get the few pictures I took on my cell phone posted.

RB: well, what ya think we should do?

treybrad: just because u can't see the bottom doesn't mean it isn't there.

RB: want to give it a go?

treybrad: [shrugs shoulders] sure.

Ha, that depth marker lied. It said it was maybe 1/2 foot deep, it was definitely over a foot, maybe closer to two. All I know is that even with my feet on my pegs, my pants were wet up to my shins...

Pretty miserable start to the day, but it worked out well. Good food, I won a pair of glove liners, and a nice route home. As always it was good putting some faces to screen names.

trey

Left the house in -6 degrees Celsius (21) and arrived at the Koffee Kup in -2 degree (28)environment.

Definitely cold riding. I've never had electrics and the only cold items were my hands and feet. (I may have to break down and spend the money.......)

It really was a good crowd for the weather and there were many brave souls riding today. :thumb:

I finally saw +2 degrees Celsius (35) on the way back.

Stopped into Honda West and bought some glove liners for the final leg.
(the counter guy gave me a break on the price since I was actually out riding in this weather.) Good People!!!

Great to see Chris again and always good to see TWTEX riders.

All in all, a great day!!!

P.S. Thankfully, the only gear I forgot today was my camera! (never happened????)

Just Rolled back in at 6 Pm with 300 showin on the trip meter.We took several Austin Area riders & Rick M for a few loops while on the way back south.Ran into a road snag near Levita on CR198 with the river in flood stage but that was the only glitch in a great afternoon ride on some really fun paved county roads.

....Hey Red Brown. Looks like ya'll had the same problem with water that we did !!!

Rick & Ghostrider1964(Doty) split off at Gatesville to head home to family & cpf3 (Chuck) split off southwest of Gatesville on his way back to Georgetown.That left Stingray (Scott...I finally remembered!!) MotoRod (Jarrett) & I to use up some more of the good pavement while the sun was shining.We wound thru King,Slater & Izoro then took FM2527 & CR3420 into Lampasas.A few low water crossings but nothing too serious.

After gassin MotoRods BMW back up in Lampasas,we took CR4006/Burnet CR207 south for some more fun before heading over to Joppa on CR200 off of FM1174 & then FM243 to Hwy183. I never know when to quit ridin & today was no exception. That's why my Strom has 68K on it......& the inadvertantly proper screen name!

The event Prize sponsors (along with seein some smilin shivverin cyclists) made the long cold ride worth it.I've been missing a lot of the Pie Runs but this one reminded me that we've got a pretty good bunch of folks here on TWT. HAD SOME BIG FUN TODAY

THANX TO ALL WHO MADE IT HAPPEN

Congrats to all who braved the weather; my hat's off to you, especially since my ride was in 67 degree weather today.

Kudos on the certificate for the shop owner; that was a really nice touch.

I sure do miss y'all.

[size=+1]
Field of Dreams

hico1_sml.jpg

We're eligible for handicapped parking.
Anyone riding today has to be somehow impaired.

hico3_sml.jpg

Dead give-away there are riders around, there's a give-away.

hico4_sml.jpg

[/size]

I rode up with the San Antonio group. This was my first pie run. I was completely cold to the bone and I couldn't bear to try the pie...hot coffee please! :coffee: Looking forward to many more. Thank you for the hat, too bad I didn't get the chain lube everyone was fighting for ;-)

Man it was cold this morning. We had to stop in Granbury twice. Once, for Tom to warm up his hands, and the other time for him to buy some snow mittens at Walmart. He was mad at me because of my heated grips and the cold weather gloves I was wearing. We took the long way home and stopped in Grandbury to get some gas. He noticed a cable coming our of my jacket and asked what it was for. When I told him it was for my electric vest he got a little upset with me. What is a man supposed to do. :trust: It was great seeing all the brave riders today. Made me feel better about myself. I was having second thoughts on the way down to Hico. Food was great. Hopefully I can make the next pie run. I hope it is warmer, like maybe in the 40's.:rider::eat::sun:

I delivered WC (Pie Man v1.0) to DFW airport to end his whirlwind trip to Texas for pie! He said that he was planning to sleep most of the flight home. He really enjoyed riding ed29's FJR today and appreciated the loan immensely.

I had a count of 85 cards for the drawing (not counting the 8 kids). That surprised me - we surpassed the original PR (76 I think), even with the freezing weather. :thumb:

I think the high temperature that we saw today was in Hico - 36 degrees. Coming and going it went farther down as you rode NE from Hico.

I'll have some more details and a few pictures later. I'm tired!

Oh, the folks that donated all the door prizes rock! :clap:

You are all very dedicated pie motorcyclists, hats off to everyone who did the miles in this cold.

First of all, thanks to all the great folks that made this possible:clap::clap:

arrived back in town about 7:30 with just over 600 miles on the trip meter. I cheated a little this time thanks to Dennis and the use of his house Friday night. :mrgreen: I guess about 80% of the ride was in the freezing range but well worth it. Made some new friends and saw some old ones and one that I only see in New Mexico.

I got to eat now, will post pics later.

And around of :clap::clap: to everyone that made it. Hope we bet the first round since we had nicer weather. (No rain)

I was working and when I got off at 2 my battery was dead, no cell phone. Walked about three miles round trip to battery plus. Seems my brushes have worn out on my alternator. I would have been stranded some where out on 281 had I made the pie run.
Is it luck or is it Karma?:rider:
I am now practicing remembering phone numbers! If you ain't got your phone you ain't got no friends!;-)

Thanks to all, TM, PieMen, sponsors, helpers and the cold weather riders! It was great to see so many folks. I appreciate all that stopped/slowed to ask if I was OK while I stopped just outside of Hico to load my GPS with the "back way" home. I got home to Austin around 4:30. The ride back wasn't too bad, more enjoyable then in the morning but still got a chill topping some of the hills when I caught the wind. Following are some of the pictures I took. Enjoy all.

P1302446.jpg

I've always liked this color of V-Strom.
P1302447.jpg

Chuck busy as usual, checking in
P1302449.jpg

P1302451.jpg

P1302453.jpg

P1302455.jpg

My pie... hey... wait... who took a bite while I took this picture?
P1302456.jpg

Does he look guilty?
P1302457.jpg

The bikes
P1302460.jpg

and more bikes
P1302462.jpg

P1302463.jpg

P1302465.jpg

P1302466.jpg

P1302467.jpg

P1302468.jpg

P1302469.jpg

P1302470.jpg

Prizes prizes prizes
P1302471.jpg

P1302472.jpg

P1302474.jpg

P1302475.jpg

P1302476.jpg

~400 mile for me (Austin-Hico-Katy) and with this temperaturure in the morning... that was long enough!
1-30-2010.jpg
- On my way back, it warmed to 36 :sun:

Great Event. Thanks to the Pie Men, Tourmeister and the Admins!

Hopefully the next one will be warmer

Ok here are some of my pics.
After leaving Dennis's (bmcdonau) house, we headed to
Starbucks.jpg

to meet some of the other brave souls.
5BraveSouls.jpg

We had to do a gas and heat stop in Lampass. Notice that there is noone by the bikes. Cause we are all inside warming up.:giveup:
GasHeat.jpg

Arriving at our destination.
KKWelcome.jpg

OverView.jpg

and can not leave out our guest of honor and new long distance winner.
PieManV1.jpg

Is it just me or does he look sad? Nay. He must be thinking......How could I have left all of this to Chuck. :-P:rofl::-P

I applaud all of those brave enough to ride in the sub-freezing temps! AWESOME!!:clap::eat:

Back