• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Kidney/back support belt???

Reaction score
First Name
Rex
I have a couple of bulging discs in my back that give me trouble now and then. Does anybody with a similar problem find that riding with a kidney belt helps them? If so, what are your recommendations for a good one?

May I suggest a nylon weight-lifting belt from your local sports store. I tend to like the ones with an oval support for lumbar firmness. Nike makes one in grey. Another option is Home Depot for the elastic back brace with more support on the back as well on the front using a spandex matterial. It really helps on long rides, plus is adds a degree of back protection in case of a minor accident.

Red

Valker said:
This is the absolutely BEST one I've ever found...
http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?item=BACKALINE
:bigokay:

That looks like a pretty good piece.

I have occasional minor to PLEASE KILL ME NOW back pain. On long riding days, I wear a Fox off-road type kidney belt. It doesn't eliminate the pain, but does seem to cut it by 1/2 to 2/3, YMMV. Available at finer moto-shops, Cycle Gear, & puhlenty of buyithere.com type places.

I have a vertebrae just behind my beltline that is weak, and will pop out at the most inopportune times, and while shopping in a thrift store, found a kidney belt(black nylon) like the ones used by weightlifters, oval in shape, velco fasteners, cost about $2.95, and is thick enough to add some skid protection. So far, it has done the job, and in this cooler weather, keeps the gap at the back of the jacket covered, to keep that breeze out of the plumbers crack. LOL

I tried one from Home Depot. When I got it tight enough to actually help, it constricted my breathing because of the bulge just above the belt line on my frontside... :oops:

The backaline brace is pretty good. The best protection against back pain is to strengthen your back muscles. The braces are fine but should be used only when you experience the pain or fatigue. If you use the brace all the time the muscles that are supposed to support you will become weaker and you will have to rely on the brace all the time. I had back surgery about 4 1/2 years ago to remove a disk and I haven't had to use my brace at all so far.

Be sure to take care of you back and keep it strong. It took me almost 6 months to get back to normal after surgery (at the age of 25) and it wasn't very fun as you can imagine.

Back