TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #1
Scorch

Where can I buy "angle iron"?

I don't even know what to call it, but I need to buy a few feet of angle iron or channel iron, rails... I have a 6x10 flat trailer and I need something to weld to the front section for the M/C front wheels to slip into, just to keep them from turning right or left... what the heck is that called and where can I get a few feet?

Knew a tough guy in mid 80's in Fort Worth. He was just running down the the store and had a low speed crash turning onto Seminary drive from a stop sign. Last time I saw him he was wearing a diaper and they were trying to teach him to talk again. I think about that guy every time I sit on a bike without a helmet. -- Meriden
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
poser

Re: Where can I buy "angle iron"?

Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and maybe even Lowes will carry angle iron and flat strap in the smaller sizes in sections just a few feet long.
Tractor Supply carries a bit heavier stuff, also in smaller size sections <6'

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

2006 KTM 250 SX-F
2004 Yamaha yz250f - in boxes (some assembly required )

I've got a soft spot/addiction for basket cases, projects, and lost causes.
poser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Andrew T
Forum Supporter

That's channel iron in your pic; there's a salvage yard thereabouts that sells all manner of metal by the pound. I'll check with my buddy for details.
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Bob Dahringer
Forum Supporter

Right close to Pearland is Steel Supply, @10600 Telephone Rd. Houston; just east of the Beltway. They sell retail and have no minimums. Or any welding/ fabrication shop should be willing to sell you what you need.
IBA #11610, AMA#485692

https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=a...ult&refresh=no

2013 Moto-Guzzi Stelvio NTX. "Sophia", named after another Italian beauty with big jugs.

Last edited by Bob Dahringer; 05-26-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: add info
Bob Dahringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
ed29

Is your trailer completely flat, or does it have a rail a foot or more above the deck around the sides and the front? If it does, you can get angle iron up to 2"X2", cut it into 1" Vees and weld both wheel chocks and tie points with them.

Any hardware store such as Ace, True Value or the big box stores will have short lengths. Using an inch at a time a few feet goes a long way. get new hacksaw blades too. A fresh blade makes it easier to keep the cuts straight.

Life is short... Ride it hard.
ed29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
On-Off

big tex trailers has a folding motorcycle chock that mount flush to the traile and folds up when needed , and I don't think they were that expensive.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Scorch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed29 View Post
Is your trailer completely flat, or does it have a rail a foot or more above the deck around the sides and the front? If it does, you can get angle iron up to 2"X2", cut it into 1" Vees and weld both wheel chocks and tie points with them.

Any hardware store such as Ace, True Value or the big box stores will have short lengths. Using an inch at a time a few feet goes a long way. get new hacksaw blades too. A fresh blade makes it easier to keep the cuts straight.

Hmmm... I posted a reply but I guess it didn't take..

Thanks all, I will check Home Depot or Ace, and that place on Telephone road for future work if I need more material.

Yes, my trailer has a rail,

It was only $560 or so, http://www.thetrailerman.net/trailer_deals.htm

I like your setup, I will get a few feet of angle iron and weld some brackets like that, it looks very tidy and efficient.

I may also need to add some extensions for the outside tiedowns, linke pictured here.
Knew a tough guy in mid 80's in Fort Worth. He was just running down the the store and had a low speed crash turning onto Seminary drive from a stop sign. Last time I saw him he was wearing a diaper and they were trying to teach him to talk again. I think about that guy every time I sit on a bike without a helmet. -- Meriden
Old 05-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Cagiva 549

A couple peices of 2" X 1/8 angle iron , a good drill and a hand full of bolts and a good hacksaw will make a very nice trailer . A pair of 3ft piece of angle iron with a V cut in one side and bent to make a front tire rail with the long end bolted to the deck and the bent piece bolted or welded to the top front rail of the trailer will work nicly and not too difficult to do with household tools and a couple pieces bolted to the trailer floor to keep the back tire from sliding around . If you have access to welding equip it would be really simple to build bike rails that were removable if you wanted to use the trailer for something else . Make the rails wider than they need to be so they will fit road bikes too . 20 feet of steel from the steel yard will cost less than a few ft in pieces from the home improvment stores and they will cut it in half for you to haul it . SEYA
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:59 AM   #9
whoa

Did you find a source for metal? I've priced Home Depot and Lowes and they are very high if you need to purchase much material. I'm going to check out Metals4u, but I only know some of what I've read in welding forums.

http://www.metals4u.com/

Their website says they are Double Metals in Houston.

http://www.doubleametals.com/

They'll ship to your home, but I'll see if picking up will save money. Let me know what you find.
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Scorch

I haven't moved past the design in my head phase yet. Thinking about doing this Friday. I can pick up the material, so delivery is not an issue. The plan is to go up Telephone Road and check http://www.steelsupplylp.com/ as mentioned by rad. I'll let you know as soon as I get up there.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:25 AM   #11
Scorch

Ok, mission accomplished! I will have to get some pics online tomorrow.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #12
Scorch

As promised

Our plain jane 6x10 trailer

The new wheel chocks

The Side Tie Down Extenders (patent pending) being coated wth primer

The new ramp hookup

Side tie down extenders in 2-bike mode

Side tie down extenders retracted

I can carry one bike in the center, or two bikes on the right and left sides, and the extenders provide a decent angle of leverage for the tie downs. At some point in the future, if I need to carry three bikes, I can make a chock for the center that bolts down to the bed and is about 2~3 feet behind the other two bikes.

Thanks for the helps locating angle iron, guys.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #13
euromedic
Forum Supporter

That's fantastic! Nice work
Old 06-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
poser

I really like the tie down extenders, great idea!

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

2006 KTM 250 SX-F
2004 Yamaha yz250f - in boxes (some assembly required )

I've got a soft spot/addiction for basket cases, projects, and lost causes.
poser is online now   Reply With Quote