• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

ride reports= Pie Run VI: Get Ugly in Adrian - 6/26

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
pretty good turn out considering it was almost canceled, 10 total.
june2010pierun033.jpg

june2010pierun032.jpg

halfway there!
june2010pierun036.jpg

reproduction of what the original signs looked like on route 66
june2010pierun037.jpg

looking down the mother road

june2010pierun035.jpg

if you have never traveled the panhandle of Texas, this is what you are missing.
june2010pierun041.jpg

now for some pie!!
Chuck fixing to devour his pecan with blue bell. he was not happy I was holding him up for a picture.
june2010pierun047.jpg

mmmm chocolate pie!
june2010pierun046.jpg

Wow, that pie sure looks good and chocolate is my favorite! Sure hope they have some like that at the next pie run. :eat:

pie.jpg

Great ride guys! Like to thank you for commin up this way! We will try to make some more of these - but like your "core group" says, It's a long way for all of us either way!
;) From Ama - We had 2 Tims, 1 Chuck of our own, Danny & Cheryl, and John and Larry. 3 Bmers, 2 Harleys, and a Kaw. I have some Pix to post - will try to shrink them a little...straight from the Camera they are about a meg and a half... prolly a little big!!!
Later, lb1150gs/Larry

I just got back about 20 min ago. I made 550 mile trip out of this. LOL. Went to Glenrio and got some border shots since I dont have any. Of course there was torn up construction on both sides.

I just got back about 20 min ago. I made 550 mile trip out of this. LOL. Went to Glenrio and got some border shots since I dont have any. Of course there was torn up construction on both sides.

Need the photos to prove it even happened... ;-)

===

I have photos in the camera but need to work on them at home...

I think I had the quality turned down on my phone so the pics didn't come out well.

PieRun6-26-20101Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-20102Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-20103Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-20104Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-20105Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-20106Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-201011Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-201012Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-201014Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-20108Large.jpg

I didnt feel like getting run'd over so I set a distance. :rofl:

PieRun6-26-201016Large.jpg

PieRun6-26-201017Large.jpg

And my ending mileage. Don't ask what my starting was cause I always forget to write it down. :doh:

PieRun6-26-201018Large.jpg

Had a great time with everyone, photos from lb1150gs and myself are here and here's my EveryTrail trip.

John

Last edited:
Crud. I completely forgot about this. Sorry I missed everyone! I even drove close by too, sheesh I'm an idiot some times. :doh::doh::doh:

I ended up putting on around 680 miles today, Lubbock to near Santa Fe, NM (Glorietta Pass) with some roads inbetween.
Glad ya'll had a good turn out, looks like I missed out on a nice meet.

Attachments

• P6260008.jpg
    P6260008.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 218
  • P6260009.jpg
    P6260009.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 209
Holy cow Chuck, that's a big piece of pie.

I only made it a little past Snyder and it was hot and I wasn't going to make it as far as I wanted on Friday. That meant Saturday would have been a real long ride to Adrian and back to SA. I should have just ridden and not stopped for FM roadsigns.

Wow that pie looks good! How was the food? It looks like I'll be passing through there with the fam in August about dinner time, sure would be nice to have a cool place to stop and eat good food at. Wish I could have been there but my new Tue-Sat work schedule has me missing pie runs for a little while.

the menu is kind of limited but the food is good and you will find a wide cross section of people. there was a couple from Italy, another couple from Norway, Chicago and several campers and a motorhome stopped.

I just got back to the house at 5:45pm with 1148 miles total showing on the SV trip meter.

thanks for letting me tag along Chuck :rider: sorry for holding you up having to stop for gas every couple hours with my short legged bike.

Holy cow Chuck, that's a big piece of pie.

Optical illusion - it was sitting on top of my water glass for the picture. :-P

---

Home about an hour ago - 1086 miles for the trip - that Leon is a slave driver, dragging me around with him all around the panhandle. :roll:

I'll add to the report after my biological radiator cools down to below boiling... :angryfire (not angry, but very hot) ;-)

Last edited:
Hey guys how was the pie?
If I had known 10 where gonna show I would have bought 4 more pieces.

Hey guys how was the pie?
If I had known 10 where gonna show I would have bought 4 more pieces.

Hey James, with 10 folks the gal didn't quite know what to do with your "door prizes", so she ended up not doing anything - so, you have a cafe credit for your next visit. We certainly appreciate your gesture & I think everyone had pie anyway. I thought the food and pie were very good but I am easy to please and I was hungry! ;-)

Also, Larry (lb1150gs) saved the day by organizing 6 from the Amarillo area, including 4 (I think) that are/were not registered here. Amazingly, none of these locals had ever been to the Midpoint Cafe. I think they all went away with a new destination for rides in the future. :thumb:

So, sorry we missed ya but the recommendation was good. I wish we had had more participation but it was HOT out there. My original date for this was October - I probably should have left it... :shrug:

a "better late than never" report.

Leon (focus frenzy) and I rode up on Friday. There was cloud cover in DFW, so we really didn't get hot until after lunch in Quanah.

After stopping at a courthouse or two, we rested up a bit and then I somehow let Leon drag me over a couple of more counties to play a tag game.

d70_8163q.JPG

We stayed in Amarillo overnight and found that Larry (lb1150gs) had rounded up some riders and were meeting close by for the ride over to Adrian on Saturday morning. We decided to join them. Here is the crew:

Larry had some advertizing! Cheryl does the "Vanna White" for us.

d70_8186q.JPG

Tim.

tim_8187q.JPG

d70_8188q.JPG

(it's hard to get a picture without a truck or car on I40 in the background)

Chuck.

chuck_8190q.JPG

chuck_8191q.JPG

Cheryl and Danny.

danny_cheryl_8192q.JPG

d70_8193q.JPG

Larry (lb1150gs).

larry_8194q.JPG

larry_8195q.JPG

d70_8196q.JPG

another Tim.

tim_8197q.JPG

tim_8198q.JPG

John (JVRx7) made it just at 10:00 AM.

d70_8200q.JPG

The ride to the Cafe was a bit windy...

Last edited:
After searching frantically all over Adrian, well, OK, heading west on old Route 66, we found the MidPoint Cafe:

d70_8203cq.JPG

d70_8213q.JPG

I was able to capture John without his helmet on:

john_8202q.JPG

d70_8201q.JPG

Oops - another rider:

stan_8204q.JPG

Check the plate - yep, it's an Okie! :eek2:

OK, he parks on the end:

d70_8205cq.JPG

It's Stan (soonerstan56), he rode over from Norman to join us.

stan_8206q.JPG

d70_8207q.JPG

One of the Tims couldn't stay but his spot at the table was filled a bit later by Brandon (Rangerscott).

brandon_8224q.JPG

brandon_8223q.JPG

d70_8225q.JPG

There was a couple from Norway that was spending a month travelling Route 66:

d70_8220q.JPG

You could learn a bit about this area and the cafe from the back of the menu:

info_8217q.JPG

The pie list was pretty good:

pielist_8219q.JPG

Interesting decorations all around:

d70_8218q.JPG

And a gift shop (I brought stuff home):

d70_8222q.JPG

This gal took care of us. Unfortunately, I didn't get her name. :doh:

d70_8221q.JPG

After lunch, folks just hung out in the nice Texas sun: :sun:

d70_8226cq.JPG

and took pictures of the midpoint sign.

d70_8208q.JPG

Or just HAD to be in a picture with the sign!

d70_8216q.JPG

d70_8215cq.JPG

Stan in the previous 2, Leon in this one.

d70_8209cq.JPG

yeah, it's flat out here (4000 feet above sea level, though)

d70_8212q.JPG

It was a good day - glad to meet all the locals from Amarillo, plus the ones from Norman, Kress, and Lubbock. :thumb:

Thanks to all who came to the cafe!

---

Leon and I did a bit more site seeing - up to Channing and back down 1061. We took a rest and then he drug me out to the airport for another game (VOR):

d70_8249cq.JPG

Larry called and invited us to join them for pizza, which we did. :eat:

Finally, on Sunday morning, we dipped south and tried out US70 and SH114 toward home. 70 is much better than 287! :lol2:

1_amarillo_trip_061510_sz.jpg

At the last moment I decide to try and do the Adrian pie run. Loaded up and ready at 7:30 Friday morning.
Might should've started out a bit earlier.

2_jack_co_jacksboro_tx_sz.jpg

First stop Jacksboro and a shot of the Jack County Courthouse. Pretty pleasant so far.

3_archer_co_archer_tx_sz.jpg

A little farther up the road Archer City and the Archer County Courthouse. Seems to be lots of book stores here
for a small town. Hmmm??

4_memphis_temp_sz.jpg

About 220 miles from home now. Mid-day in Memphis, Tx, and part way thru my second tank of fuel. The temp could
be worse..

xmas_eve_2009-1.jpg

I thinking I could use a little of this about now.

Finally roll in to Amarillo about 1:00pm. The Holiday Inn is all snafu'ed and I don't have a room. But,
manage to get setup at the Holiday Inn Express. Maybe I'll be able to use some of that Holiday Inn Express expertise
to save the day during some crisis tomorrow...

5_armstrong_co_claude_tx_2_sz.jpg

Up early and looks like Saturday and Sunday are going to be hot and I did have some pretty good pie at an Iron Skillet last night.
Decide to head back south. First stop Claude and the Armstrong County Courthouse.

6_hall_co_memphis_tx_sz.jpg

Back in Memphis for a shot of the Hall County Courthouse. Finally roll up at home 11:08 Saturday morning. Around trip 721mi.

Sorry to miss the Saturday pie in Adrian, but glad to be back in the A/C.

Back