• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda VFR oil cooler swap.

Reaction score
So when I think something isn't how it should be. I do something about it. VFRs run hot and I still can't figure out why they put such a small oil cooler on a bike that runs side coolant rads. So an '00-'01 RC51 oil cooler is in order.

I'm tired of the oil and coolant cooling system on this bike so I'm gonna use my high school and some college brain to do it how the brainy acts over on the little island should have done it. I might get a raging brainer over this.

Here's the three Honda's. From top to bottom. 5th gen - 6th gen - RC51 ('00-'01)

VFRoilcoolermod1Large.jpg

5th gen cooler

5thgenvfroilcooler1Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler2Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler3Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler4Large.jpg

5thgenvfroilcooler5Large.jpg

6th gen

6thgenvfroilcooler1Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler2Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler3Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler4Large.jpg

6thgenvfroilcooler5Large.jpg

RC51

RC51oilcooler1Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler2Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler3Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler4Large.jpg

As you can see. The ports are a tad bigger.

RC51oilcooler5Large.jpg

RC51oilcooler6Large.jpg

GSXR 1000

GSXR1000oilcooler1Large.jpg

GSXR1000oilcooler2Large.jpg

GSXR1000oilcooler3Large.jpg

Got her done.

Loosened the stock cooler and let it hang.

VFRoilcoolerswap1Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap10Large.jpg

I was hoping I wouldn't but I had to drain the oil. I tried using an 8mm wrench, but the bolt started stripping. Had to get a socket on them.

VFRoilcoolerswap2Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap3Large.jpg

Once the oil drains, then you can unbolt the oil lines from the engine.

Left side.

VFRoilcoolerswap4Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap6Large.jpg

Right side.

VFRoilcoolerswap5Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap9Large.jpg

Luckily the O-rings look brand new. Not even smashed.

VFRoilcoolerswap8Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap7Large.jpg

Might as well wash the lines. Just tiny spot rust here and there. Maybe I'll order new ones or have them powder coated.

VFRoilcoolerswap11Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap12Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap13Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap14Large.jpg

Time to temporary mount the RC cooler.

VFRoilcoolerswap15Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap16Large.jpg

The mount on the cooler is more offset than the stock one. It'll be a little closer to the right rad.

VFRoilcoolerswap17Large.jpg

Here's the fun tedious fun part. Bending the lines to fit. You'll be pulling them out and putting back multiple times. The right one I used a rubber mallet. I placed the right oil line on the ground with the cooler mount upward. I smacked it down with the mallet. No science there.

VFRoilcoolerswap18Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap19Large.jpg

The left side you have to twist the oil cooler line where it bolts to the cooler. I used a pair of pliers and my manly strength. Of course a vise would have made it easier.

VFRoilcoolerswap29Large.jpg

Once they're lined up as good as possible, get the engine side ready.

VFRoilcoolerswap20Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap21Large.jpg

The middle o-ring is what I used. I also used one smaller one to fit inside that one. Double the sealing. LOL

VFRoilcoolerswap23Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap24Large.jpg

Bolt the oil cooler lines on first, then bolt the cooler to it's brackets second, and last bolt the engine side of the oil lines.

VFRoilcoolerswap25Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap26Large.jpg

VFRoilcoolerswap27Large.jpg

The right side does have a slight problem. Since the line is lowered from the oil rad being taller.

VFRoilcoolerswap28Large.jpg

The left side has no problem with hitting anything.

VFRoilcoolerswap30Large.jpg

Your bike a 5th or 6th Gen?

I'd be all over this mod if mine wasn't running cold instead of hot :doh:

Looks like a good mod Brandon. Definitely an upgrade - just make sure you are still getting good oil flow through those lines. There was a guy on the ZRX board that just cooked his top end because he installed an aftermarket oil line with the wrong banjo bolt :doh:

If the RC51 cooler was basically a "bolt-in mod", he'd need to have a 5th-gen VFR.
thats what I was thinking looking at the coolers, but wasn't sure from the pics as some looked very 6th Gen.

Back