• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Picked up up a cheap scooter on CL

how about a update? does it live? does it pull your arms out of their sockets with massive power?:rider:

I wrapped it up a couple of weeks ago, but haven't had a chance to take pics of everything (after all, what's an update without pics!?!?!).

Carb got rebuilt...not a lot there but it doesn't leak anymore. Fuel filter added, tank emptied, flushed and filled with more recently extracted dinosaur remains.

I ported the intake manifold, and drilled out the two back baffles on the exhaust. Properly gapped the spark plug, and reassembled the engine. Had to make my own gasket for the reed valve since no one had one in stock and I was wrapping up that Sunday (last free day before semester started).

0d707ad6-1.jpg

c41c4b50-1.jpg

I added a low mile Ruckus shock to the rear to improve ride a little. I also cleaned and painted the wheels, and put new tubes and tires on. Killed one tube, don't know how...and rear wheel originally had a wobble due to the tube pushing the tire out where valve stem was. This was remedied by deflating, retightening valve stalk, and reairing -quickly-. The DupliColor turned out darker than expected, but also has more sparkle than I thought, and Mom liked it. I also polished the drive cover...it looks nice.

It ran great, but not much faster at all. I'm not 100% sure I've got the jetting right, and I couldn't find the new air filter I had ordered while reassembling...so had to make one out of a scrub pad. The previous owner didn't have one in there AT ALL...no wonder it didn't want to run. I got it up to 33gps, but want to play with tuning. At the moment it's stumbling at idle, and adjusting speed or mixture has no effect (or will fix it, but then reverts to stumble after you rev it.

I've got a trick up my sleeve for the drive belt, but it may not work. Need to get motor at 100% first.

She's been riding it a good bit, but not as much recently since it doesn't want to idle. Certainly handled better with new tires, rode better with new shock, and ran well though.

Crummy pic of it in current form:

IMG_20100921_073358-1.jpg

We've been distracted as well with efforts to find and fix a full size bike for her. The GPz550 we picked up turned into a basketcase and still doesn't run (not enough time for anything), but we should be picking up a nice Nighthawk tomorrow. Looks like she'll learn controls this weekend, and start practicing for her endorsement test. Trying to find a MSF course that's close and soon.

Back