• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Garmin 276C battery connection question

Wasabi

Reaction score
OK , all you Garmin GPS users could you help me with how to hard wire my battery power to the GPS. I have the 276C and the only cable I can find for this GPS is this.

Is this what you use , or do you use something else and if so where did you get it.

Motorcycle Power / Audio cable.

33237862-M.jpg

Bill

Bill, what happened to your grease pencil? I can't believe you've gone over the edge and got a GPS!

Good luck getting it hooked up.

I have the same set up on my RT. I removed a side panel and as neatly as I could, routed the wire straight to the battery. As you know, there is an inline fuse that should keep you out of trouble. Hope this helps.....and BTW, I've never used the audio portion.

I purchased the power cable, from Fry's on LBJ in Las Colinas, and a Littlefuse mini ATO "Add a Circuit" like this (from Autozone/Cheker):

1307m.jpg

Found this place that sells them on-line

The red (Hot) lead goes to the "Add a Circuit", the black (Ground) to the negative (-) battery terminal. Select a low-rating fuse of you choice, depending on whether you'd like it to be always powered or powered only with the key.

This set-up has come in very handy because it is easy to take from bike to bike, don't ask me how I know :roll:

The Strom does require the miniature, not the standard-size blade, if I recall correctly.

:chug:

Squeaky said:
Bill, what happened to your grease pencil? I can't believe you've gone over the edge and got a GPS!

Good luck getting it hooked up.

The Colorado trip showed me the advantages of the GPS. Scott, John and Will had a GPS and because I didn’t have a GPS I felt like I was lost the entire trip. If you asked me where I was at anytime during the ride , my best guess was Colorado. But the upside was it really didn’t matter, because I was on vacation and my only job was just to follow Scott ( most of the time I was way behind and followed Scotts dust) and enjoy seeing parts of Colorado few have ever seen which was a real pleasure and made for a stress free good time. No decisions , the only way to vacation. :-D

But I did try and record some of the trip on the tank top GPS.

30210111-S.jpg

30210109-S.jpg

Gotta love it, William. :chug:

Your 'Strom notepad sure shows how silver is the most versitile of colors!

R1150R and Adan thanks for the Info. There is a Frys in Arlington I can check it out for the cable. I am trying to set up both the VStrom and the KLR for my September trips. If the power / audio cable is the same length as the power / data cable, it is too short to connect directly from the battery to the handle bars on both bikes. I think I need a fuse / auxiliary box of some kind to compensate for the cable length. I have a Powerlet socket on the VStrom so I can use a cigarette socket cable if I need to, and I think I can connect to the Powerlet directly with the GPS cable. I am a little concerned I’ll screw up the electrical system just before my trips to North Carolina and Okla/ Ark . I’ll take pics of my solution when I get it together.

Thanks again for your suggestions. :-D

Bill

Bill you should have recieved a cable with the GPS. They come with a marine mount and cable that is all you need. This cable....

http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010-10513-00

The one in your picture looks like the same one, with an earphone plug for the voice routing babe inside. If ya want to use that then that cable would work, but the ariginal cable that comes with it has wiring for sound, you just have to add the earphone plug to it.

All you need to wire it is the original marine cable, just wire in the red and black I believe and your done.

I wired a receptacle on the bike, and on the end of the cable, and just keep the cable with the GPS and added the same recptacle to each bike so I can use on any of them.

I usually wire them to power from the ignition switch, so they turn off with the key. That's the best way for the 276c.

Cycoactive sells a $30 RAM mount that's great too.

Dyna Sport said:
...for the voice routing babe inside....

My "babe" is bilingual now :-P I upgraded her with a sexy Euro-Spanish voice :lol:

Too bad I only get to hear her when I use the GPS in the car.....

Back