• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Epic Ride, Arkansas 2010

WoodButcher

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Last Name
Myers
Okay, we had about 45 riders make it to Clarksville for a fun ride. Most were dual sporting it, but about 6 of us did primarily street. We even got CDC on a dirt road for about a 1/2mile. An FJR is not a DS machine. :rofl: But it stayed upright.

I'm still sorting out my pictures, but will get them up soon.

Hey, it was Beyond Epic...

NW Arkansas has some great riding! However, I went up for the recreational flat changing. I changed 3 flats on Sunday - one in the morning, one at lunch time, and one after dinner. It was awesome. :thumb: I want to thank everybody that helped with the flat changes - they were too numerous to mention and I don't know all of their screen names, but I really did appreciate the help!

I got them off the camera last night, but didn't get them resized and uploaded yet. That will be tonight's project.

Awesome weather. I saw 66 degrees Sunday morning as we weaved through the Ozark National Forest, with a peak of around 90 as we got back to town. Low humidity, no rain. Some trees are starting to change color. The Pig Trail was great, but 123 from just east of Jasper down where it meets 7 was awesome.

We rolled into Waco about 6:30 yesterday in some rain, wasn't bad. Almost had a solid 12 hour ride back.

Thats was some awesome riding, nice to meet everyone, I suck at names, but it was a pleasure to hang out and ride this weekend. :clap:

Some observations:

The smell of Chicken **** in the morning doesn't go very good with breakfast .

Dual Sporters lie much better than Street guys about their riding antics.

Crazy how some Harley Riders can ride in that environment without leaning at all. They just need to learn to get the Heck out of the way, this is done by looking in those mirror thingys.

I still have some mad skills patching non-patch-able tubes on the road side in a Hillbilly's yard. (nice guy) by the way, there are still good people in the world.

Real home cooked Donuts do not ride well in your tank bag all day, but are actually edible in a flattened state.;-)

They do make such of a thing called a Tamale Sandwich, I saw my first one Monday.:lol2:

Arkansas is not really into Credit/Debit cards at the pump yet.:doh:

I have had several people say you have to have a Dual Sport Bike to be an Adventure Rider, after this weekend I just don't think that argument stands, I rode gravel, pavement, rain, cold(cool), heat, curves, rough, smooth and it was very adventurous.:rider:

Got home around four yesterday. One sore and tired body in tow!
Awesome time,but never listen to JT when he says......Oh,it's only a little short 10 mile loop! :eek2: That little quarter mile up hill like to have killed all four of us,but geez was that fun. Right IZZ,Mark,JT?
Oh....and I think all four of us were so tired from trying to drag the bikes up that hill that no one took any pictures?

Wow, great weather for the rides. Our 10% of riders experienced all types of challenges from pavement, gravel, rocks, and streams with rocks. My most enjoyable twt outing by far, even when limping in with a snaggled toothed chain. Only two bikes down Sunday, but them KLR's are tough, and the riders too.:lol2: Looking forward to pics to be posted by our group, low batterys on my camera, sorry. Any trip ya make it home safely is a good one. Thanks to the guys for putting up with an old man.:clap:

+1 on everything you said, it was truly beyond epic! My son and I had a great time riding with you guys. Thanks for the words of wisdom. Hope to see you on the next adventure.:rider:

Oh yeah, I hope to have some pic's up soon. Didn't take as many as I would of liked, spent most of the time riding!:trust:

Got home around four yesterday. One sore and tired body in tow!
Awesome time,but never listen to JT when he says......Oh,it's only a little short 10 mile loop! :eek2: That little quarter mile up hill like to have killed all four of us,but geez was that fun. Right IZZ,Mark,JT?
Oh....and I think all four of us were so tired from trying to drag the bikes up that hill that no one took any pictures?

Hi Jack. I am ready to go back anytime.

I am kicking myself for not getting any pics of the trails from Sunday. I sure wish we could have started that one in the morning when still fresh.

I want to get Stingray's gpx files and see if we can make a loop with options for going around the hill for riders with heavy bikes, like BRPs.:rider:

Here are the only pics I got that are worth saving,
998398921_iLvgN-L-1.jpg

998389657_LZsBT-L.jpg

998389559_EW7Ub-L.jpg

998389638_PvCC2-L.jpg

998389868_dcjQP-L.jpg

It truly is "steeper than it looks"
998389696_YQCkH-L.jpg

998389602_ZWdmm-L.jpg

:rider:

Hey Rusty, was that the DR in that pic?
TexTom

Nope, I only took the BMW. There were several DR's there though. I was wishing I had mine on the second day because I was getting tempted by the dirt. If I were going to be there 3 days, I'd have had to haul both. The pavement was too good an opportunity to pass up with a new bike though, so it was my first choice. I have itty bitty chicken strips on my tires now.

I am kicking myself for not getting any pics of the trails from Sunday. I sure wish we could have started that one in the morning when still fresh.

I want to get Stingray's gpx files and see if we can make a loop with options for going around the hill for riders with heavy bikes, like BRPs.:rider:

Pictures,I was too tired to even take the camera out of my fanny pack?
And as far as making a loop out of that,I'm game. But I'll tell you what,if we are gonna make a loop out of that stuff I'm bringing the 525......or maybe the 300. I want something that aint gonna kill me if I have to pick it up,which is a big possibility.
I don't know about you but every muscle in my body is sore.
I'm going back in October,or we can go sooner........you wanna go and do it?

Here are the only pics I got that are worth saving,

998389602_ZWdmm-L.jpg

:rider:

I think you guys are 'crazy' these trails are for mules only... :duck:
Camilo D.

Hmmn... not sure why that pic did'nt show up, oh well, check out the album, wish I had more and better action shots. Maybe next time, I'm already ready to go back.

Had a great weekend of ridin the twisty bits.....& a pretty nice ride up & back home too! Mine was the only Strom represented in the pack of bikes that invaded the Days Inn parking lot.Mostly DS type bikes...Our group stuck to the paved goodies (with 1 exception...215 & MAN the pavement! after that gravel construction zone!!!!). I did try a few of the paved county roads but generally liked the state roads just as much...or more.
16 is always good...less traffic than 23,21 or 7. 123 from 7 to Mt Judea (Rusty says so too) & 123 from 7 running south towards Clarksville!!! 103 had that nice twisty stretch too. Even the roads south of I40 were kinda nice on the way back home....109,23 & 28 which changes to 128 in OK.
1300+ miles later.....MAN what a ride!!!

I'll post some pics later....

Big thanx for the unexpected door prizes!!!!!!

By the way....If you're headed north towards OK thru Paris....be sure to stop at Burgerland on N Main. They were closed at 8:10 Fri night but let us in anyway. You only need the small fries....TRUST ME!!! Burgers were cooked just right. An old local burgerNfry place with just the right atmosphere. Helped make up for us not makin it back to Oark in time for lunch/dinner?? on Sun. ....& Whatever that pub's name was in Clarksville....A GOOD'UN TOO!!

Ready for the next Arkansas foraging foray.....

And one more thing. Thanks to Richard for getting evryone together for this ride,even though he wasn't there,and to Rusty for filling in for Richard.
Ok,I'm through sucking up......next!

Back