TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Gadgets and more...

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 09-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
bigjnsa

How to sync Google Maps with my Droid?

I have a Droid I've been using for a few weeks and this weekend will be my first use of its GPS Navigation app. I've got the route planned and mapped with Google Maps, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to sync it with my phone. I was assuming since it is a Google phone, Google App and Google Maps would all interact with each other.
bigjnsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
DFW_Warrior

Re: How to sync Google Maps with my Droid?

Just be forewarned, if you lose cell service say bye bye to Navigation. I'm not saying it's not a good (I have an EVO and love the Nav feature) but just don't depend on it if you are going off the beaten path where there might be no cell signal.

As for syncing, I'd love to hear how to do it as well. I haven't even tried playing with that feature yet.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
WoodButcher
Administrator

I seldom use the Nav app, but I do use the google map app. You can download that if you don't have it yet, then download the google MyMaps app. That will integrate your browser created maps as a layer you can load in the google maps app. I just don't know if you can see them in the Nav app though. I'll try in a couple of minutes.

"Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson

1999 DR650 - still not from this century
2009 R1200GS Adventure - finally, a new bike
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
WoodButcher
Administrator

Okay, cool. You can't access your google maps routes from the nav app, but from the google maps app you can select one of them, click the navigate option and it will launch the Nav app with the route.

So the full steps are to install google map app and google MyMaps app. Then in the google maps app, select layers, More Layers button, My Maps, which will let you select any routes/maps you created in google. This adds it as a new layer. Then back to layers, select that layer and click navigate.

That's pretty close to full instructions.

"Even this evil is productive of good. It prevents the degeneracy of government, and nourishes a general attention to the public affairs. I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-15-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
fastmonstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
Okay, cool. You can't access your google maps routes from the nav app, but from the google maps app you can select one of them, click the navigate option and it will launch the Nav app with the route.

So the full steps are to install google map app and google MyMaps app. Then in the google maps app, select layers, More Layers button, My Maps, which will let you select any routes/maps you created in google. This adds it as a new layer. Then back to layers, select that layer and click navigate.

That will only let your view you map and route. No Navigation.

I hope I'm wrong.

"Traction is Highly Overrated "

08' KTM EXC-R 450,04' WR250F,71' Yamaha CT1C,76' Yamaha RD400
fastmonstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #6
WoodButcher
Administrator

On my phone you are wrong. It brings up a route on the display and starts to give me verbal directions. I have noticed that not all andriod phones are exactly the same though. Samsung Moment with andriod 2.0.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
bigjnsa

Quote:

Thanks WoodButcher, I will try that. FYI, I will not be relying on voice directions, I just want to see my position on the map. I'll be in parts of Oklahoma I've never been in.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
WoodButcher
Administrator

Oh, then just use the google maps app with the gps turned on. You don't need the Nav app for that. You will need a data signal for maps though. Unless somebody knows of a way to cache some of that on the phone.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
bigjnsa

Well I figured out where the MyMaps section was on the Maps app. I have my overlay so I think I'm good to go. Now, I'm off to the auto parts store for a cig lighter adaptor so I can charge my phone this weekend.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
1TallTXn
Skinny guy on a bike
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Just be forewarned, if you lose cell service say bye bye to Navigation. I'm not saying it's not a good (I have an EVO and love the Nav feature) but just don't depend on it if you are going off the beaten path where there might be no cell signal.

As for syncing, I'd love to hear how to do it as well. I haven't even tried playing with that feature yet.
My phone (Moto Droid) dropped service while using the Nav app in Arkansas this summer.
It kept routing, but wasn't able to display POIs or make any changes to the route.
Looks like it loads the route, but can't update anything while off of data service.

2002 VFR800STi | 1985 GL1200 Aspencade -Earl | 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

IBA# 31895
--------
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"...what is the militia? It is the whole people, except a few public officials." - George Mason 1788
1TallTXn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Loyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TallTXn View Post
My phone (Moto Droid) dropped service while using the Nav app in Arkansas this summer.
It kept routing, but wasn't able to display POIs or make any changes to the route.
Looks like it loads the route, but can't update anything while off of data service.
My tmobile "slide" is the same way.

Warning: googlemap is just as likely to guide you in a circle as a garmin.

"Call a jack a jack. Call a spade a spade. But always call a whore a lady. Their lives are hard enough, and it never hurts to be polite."-Patrick Rothfuss

- 03 600rr (machineous-doubledutieous)
Loyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #12
fastmonstr

Quote:
On my phone you are wrong. It brings up a route on the display and starts to give me verbal directions. I have noticed that not all andriod phones are exactly the same though. Samsung Moment with andriod 2.0.
You can view your route from the mymap layer, but when you click "Navigate", it will create a route, just not the one that you created. It will take the best route.

Can someone else confirm that they are able to follow the custom route that they created?

Nexus One with CM6 Froyo

Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
WoodButcher
Administrator

Hmm, mine showed a red line that took me to the closest part of my planned route, then the line turned green and it had me following my planned route.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #14
fastmonstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post

CoPilot Live let's you save maps to your SD card. No data connection required. I have not used it, but I have heard good reviews. $19.99 in the market.