TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #1
M38A1
Administrator

Photography and Federal Buildings...

A recent court decision/settlement now clarifies that you have a reasonable expectation of not being arrested for photographing Federal Buildings, Courthouses etc. if done from a public location.

Details:
http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...eral-building/

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Being like everybody is the same as being nobody" - Marilyn Cuberle (ref: Number 12)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - SpiritAtBay
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
DFW_Warrior

Re: Photography and Federal Buildings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
A recent court decision/settlement now clarifies that you have a reasonable expectation of not being arrested for photographing Federal Buildings, Courthouses etc. if done from a public location.

Details:

Heck yeah! Prison game is back on!

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:05 PM   #3
Dacus Deb

Hubby was in DC in June and took some pics of the White House .. when he got home we blew them up on the computer and .. wow .. the telescopes and firepower up there on that roof .. LOL
Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #4
M38A1
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacus Deb View Post
Hubby was in DC in June and took some pics of the White House .. when he got home we blew them up on the computer and .. wow .. the telescopes and firepower up there on that roof .. LOL
Details---- we need details! That sounds interesting. Pics are better!

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Being like everybody is the same as being nobody" - Marilyn Cuberle (ref: Number 12)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - SpiritAtBay
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Dacus Deb

I can provide pics .. lol .. but I'll have to find them on our home computer and mail them to myself at work .. it might take a few days ..

We were laughing..
Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
TNC

Yeah, there are some weird ideas and concepts that some in guv'mint have about taking pics or vids. If you're on public property taking pictures of buildings or other subjects that are clearly visible to public property, it's odd that some would get their panties in a wad...except, of course, examples like photographing small children for purient interest or using a device or enhancement to otherwise violate someone's privacy obviously aside.

I was on a motorcycle trip one year and was on a public road by the fence at Davis-Montham air force base at Tucson. I was taking pictures of A-10's doing some cool manuevers with a 35mm camera when a pair of AP's pulled up in a jeep inside their fence. They warned me that taking photos like I was doing was prohibited and I would have to leave. This was before 911, and I was kind of ticked off that they said this. I asked why, and they just stated it was some kind of regulation. I said that I thought that I was within the law and was going to keep shooting, but I remained polite and tried not to 'diss them. They advised that they were calling the sheriff's office to come contact me to take action, and I said "go ahead". I remained for about 30-40 minutes and finally left without any law enforcement ever showing up. I mean, c'mon...it wasn't like I did a low crawl up to Area 51 to photograph spy planes or such.

I've noticed that stuff on and around the White House on our last trip to DC. Rumor has it that there's supposed to be a Patriot missle battery there now too. Who knows?
TNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #7
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post

Details:

I think I would print out several copies of the decision to keep on me if I were gonna go out and take pics. Even then though, I would not be the lease bit surprised if the decision were ignored by anyone trying to get you to stop taking pictures. It would be one of those cases where you might eventually be right, but in the mean time they would make you pay for being right...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For March: $517.60 - Previous Month: $1138.90 - Record High: Feb 09 $1360.84
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:13 PM   #8
tricepilot
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacus Deb View Post
When I was still active in the military, I had a close relative in the Secret Service give me an after duty-day, behind-the-scenes tour of the WH. Met the roof-top sniper team (gun nuts would love the rifle they have), got some of the low-down on the anti-terrorist capabilities in and around that complex. Like an iceberg, what you can see (or photograph) is but a fraction of what can be brought to the gunfight, as one would expect. Same with the president's protective detail - those guys you see with the coiled wire earpieces and the long coats are just a fraction of who (and what) is really protecting the president these days.

On another note, yesterday I passed through the Queens-Midtown tunnel in New York City. At the entrance, one very clear sign dictates: No Photography.
tricepilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #9
Wes

When someone asks you to stop taking photos there is always a reason why. I am a photographer employed by Uncle Sam and work on government land every day. Sometimes the little building you didn't notice in the background is something china has been waiting to get a photo of. You might not even realize what you took a photo of. So I wouldn't assume that you know better than the personnel of the location what is classified.

Good rule of thumb, if it can be seen from a public road then there is probably nothing wrong with taking photos, but when in doubt, there is no reason to waste the digits or risk anyone's life.

Timeline of My Illness:
1980 Kawasaki KDX 400 - 1986 Honda Interceptor 500 - 2000 Yamaha R6 - 2002 Yamaha Road Star Warrior - 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14

"It's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything." -Tyler Durden-

"Every great cause begins as a movement, becomes a business and eventually degenerates into a racket." -Eric Hoffer-
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_Warrior View Post
Heck yeah! Prison game is back on!
extra points for pics from inside

"If it was illegal, there'd be a sign telling us NOT to do it."

"I can't always tell if he [Jason] is joking, or if his judgment really is that bad." - my father-in-law

2006 KTM 250 SX-F
2004 Yamaha yz250f - in boxes (some assembly required )

I've got a soft spot/addiction for basket cases, projects, and lost causes.
poser is offline   Reply With Quote