• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda NT700V

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Franck
I purchased a new Honda NT700V December 17. Have made only one long(ish) ride so far, the Pie Run to Crocket from west Houston. The bike rides well. It runs 70 plus MPH at 5000 rpm in 5th gear. This is quite relaxed comapred to the Suzuki GS500 I was riding. The integrated side bags have enough room for my work kit for commuting. One bag gets brief case, street shoes etc, one gets weather gear (don't leave home without it). My commute is 26 miles across Houston, Katy to the east side. The NT700 seems to handle wind well. I had no problem on a day with 21+ mph cross wind on the Katy Freeway (I-10 west).:rider:

Of course, I am already planning farkles. I have ordered the wind deflectors and will add a tank bag in a couple of months. I am considering the Bags Connection type with SW-Motech quick connector. Does any one have experience with these?

Of course, "pics or it didn't happen".

mm9c1u.jpg

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

Very cool, it you are in Katy, bring it to bike night Wednesday so we can check it out.

Chuck, we met at the pie run and for a second I thought you were selling it :eek2:.
It is indeed a very nice bike.

Camilo D.

Nice ride! Some of us don't need 125 HP to enjoy our rides :rider:

Nice ride! Some of us don't need 125 HP to enjoy our rides :rider:

Something wrong with you guys, In HP we trust :trust:

Just kidding that is a cool bike saw one the other day at the dealership

most folks do get tied up in the HP race, but light nimble bikes with modest power can be as much if not more fun in lots of situations

Although nothing like a killer dose of HP applied at the right or wrong moment
to get your attention

congrats. I saw the bike at the pie run. I've seen a couple of them and been pretty impressed. When I first saw the bike, my thought was that it would be a perfect commuter ride .

I just got one recently, too. I reccomend the motorcycle larry throttle lock. He has a 700V, so he actually has some of the farkles. He also runs the NT owners forum. I set up an account a while back, but can't get it activated for some reason.

I really enjoy mine. I did an 850 mile ride the other day and it the bike did great.

Have you had any trouble with your latches?

I just got one recently, too. I reccomend the motorcycle larry throttle lock. He has a 700V, so he actually has some of the farkles. He also runs the NT owners forum. I set up an account a while back, but can't get it activated for some reason.

MC Larry is recovering from an injury, so admin on that site is slow. Most of the "locals" moved over to an alternate site: www.nt-owners.org Much more activity and active admin at the new site.

Here are some answers to various questions in the thread, in no particular order.

The looks like a good commuter and it is. Maybe perfect, but as it is only my second bike, my experience is limited. I commute 52 miles daily, 80% freeway, and the bike seems stable and comfortable. Not as much "freeway hop" as the smaller bike and much better wind protection.

Rode every day this week. No electric farkles yet but will be considering heated grips or heated gloves. May add Fuze Block first for flexibility.

I have had no issues with latches but have heard that they are a concern. That said, I close the lids gently, press them closed, don't slam them. The one thing I have noticed is that fabric from my soft brief case can get caught in the hinge area and keep the lid from closing. Keep that area clear and there should be no problem.

In commuter service I am getting 46 - 48 MPG on regular gas. I have not done a road trip sine the first week end I had it. MPG then was 55 or so on the second tank of gas.

I have not forgotten Katy bike nite. I plan to make down there but with other commitments that can put me out on every week night. That gets tough since 5 AM comes pretty early. (See commute above).

Keep the shiny side up,

Chuck

I can totally see this bike being a perfect commuter bike. Not too small or under powered and not so huge as to make it a handfull in traffice and only so so on mpg.

I think Honda hit a home run on this bike.:clap:

I just took mine on an 800 mile trip from southeast VA to upstate PA and back, with the return trip down 13. The bike handles great in traffic (D.C., ugh) and GLH on the open roads (Penna Turnpike, over 80 mph, with traffic mind you). After all the negative feedbacks on other forums, I thought I'd drop my two cents in.
I posted this on motorcycle-usa.com:
I bought my 2011 NT700VA in July 2011. I'm not what you'd call a recent experienced rider, my last ride was a 1979 Suzuki GS550, back in the late 80's-early 90's, riding regularly in Northern California, the Santa Cruz mountains of California and running around San Francisco. This bike has everything a new or experienced rider needs to get out on the road for a short day trip, a commute, a short/long haul, or a fast ride through the twisties. The 3/4 fairing is a great shield reducing to almost nothing the wind you'd expect to feel at 70 mph, and the fairing makes the miles fly by without the expense of buffeting from the wind. Yes, it's not a monster 1000 cc engine, it's a mere 680 cc, but it goes from A to B like a champ. Going from $60 a tank to $15 a tank when I transitioned from a VAN to a motorcycle was a great(HUGE) change. Going from 21 mpg to 50+ mpg was an even better change. I don't know of any riders that I ride with that get 50+ mpg, even when they ride easy on the throttle. In fact, comparing the NT to other "mid-sized" STs, there are very few that can boast 50+ mpg AND the reliability of this bike. Let's compare some major components... the 680cc engine on the NT is the same engine they've been using for 20 or so years(proven reliability). Add the wonderful EFI, provides the most optimum gas usage at almost every speed/RPM. Then look at the shaft drive, no stretching chains every couple thou miles, and replacement of the shaft drive is once every ... HOW MANY MILES???? not as often as chain adjustments and replacements... I've put over 2000 miles on mine(4k as of 1 Oct), in just over 3 months, and using it as much as possible to commute to work, as well as "play". I can carry just about everything I need for work in it, both rain gear and a bike cover. I will admit that this bike cannot run with the big dogs and their jetted carbs, reprogrammed ECU's, custom intakes, REALLY loud mufflers, etc, but on a couple of 90-100 mile rides with some buddy's on a variety of bikes, no one left me in the dust, and after these rides, I didn't have to stop at the gas station immediately after the ride was done to fill up from bone dry, nor did I have to un-kink my back afterwards. It rides the straights as comfy as can be, and it hugs curves and corners with minimal effort, all without tiring out the rider. Unfortunately, it appears that Honda will not be selling many of these stateside, due to both the economy and the lackluster sales it's had in '10-'11, so far at least. All I know, and this is IMHO, this bike is a great bike for commuting, short runs to buy ice cream, mid distance rides(100-200 mi), and a decent bike for long hauls too. All with good gas mileage, reliability, and a place to stow a change of clothes if you're going from the bike to the beach, or hiking, or to work... get my drift?

Glad to see you here and liking the NT. I posted a link tot he NT forum in your intro.

Back