• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Casona Tricepilot offers a free practice clinic on manual tire installation, removal and flat repair. This was originally mainly for tubed dirt bike tires but now has expanded to include tubeless tire flat repair.

It's important to note WE DO NOT USE TIRE STANDS OR MECHANICAL TIRE DEVICES at this academy - it's all done like you'll need to do it - on the trail or roadside, with the tools you have with you. If you just want new rubber on your bike, take it to a service place. If you want to gain the knowledge on how to be confident with dealing with tire problems on a trip in the middle of nowhere, that's what this is about.

The Mad Scientist Tire Academy covers:

What to pack in your tire kit and where to mount it on your bike. Free printed list of tire related tools that we'll laminate and you can take with you.

Tire removal and installation by hand using spoons and windex. That's right, windex.

Why Slime and Ride-On tire sealant are NOT your friends IMHO (but if they're YOUR friends, that's fine)

Patching 101 - why that tiny pack of tube patches is your best friend

Plugging away - tire plug and string kits and how to use them for your tubeless tire flats.

PRACTICE BEFORE YOU GO: Guided practice on YOUR bike before that big trip, so you have the confidence that YOU can handle all your tire problems on your trip of a lifetime, and not be that guy.

Ask yourself:

Can you remove the wheel on your dirt bike and remove and replace or remove and patch the tube?

Do you carry what you need with you or do you rely upon other riders to provide "the stuff"?

Don't be That Guy on your next off road adventure!

GPS coordinates for Casa Tricepilot: N 29.58023, W098.26058

Recommended Flat Tire Kit

Tire Changing Videos (3)

Bonus Session: Chain Tool Video

Front Page shots:

FP16-114.jpg

FP16-120.jpg

The Mad Scientist Tire Academy is now franchised! Here are our brothers who have extended an offer to assist you in YOUR area with practice and tips on your motorcycle tire skills:

Austin area:

Tricepilot, I would be willing to give a school, if we could find two or three people in this area who wanted to get better. I do have a great kit that I carry with me on rides.

Sam

Houston area:

I'd also be available if someone wants a second pair of eyes when I'm in SW Houston or La Grange. Can't say I'm always around, but when I am I'm willing to help. Give me a shout.

Gonzales area:

I can assist in flat repair around Gonzales or transport a bike :eat:

Bastrop area:

I can host a clinic in Bastrop some time, if anybody is interested.

I even have a spare front rim and old tires and tubes for practice before trying it out on the working bike.

Trice, if you are going to give me a title, I request "Second Vice-Secretary for the Assistant to the Dean of the College of Schrader Valve Depression" or SVSADCSVD for short.

Are you possessed with Mad Skills?? Volunteer to be a tire mentor in your area! When you do, post up in this thread, and I'll add you to the faculty!

Last edited:
Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Skizzman at the Mad Scientist Tire Academy, practicing tube replacement before his current trip to Copper Canyon:

1220409599_D5Vfb-L.jpg

Last edited:
Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire & Drivetrain Academy

Bato's Dunlop 606, that he installed by hand at the Mad Scientist Tire Academy last week:

1229486732_NHEqs-S.jpg

No tire stand. No machine. Tire spoons only from a roll kit. And windex.

Last edited:

...it's all done like you'll need to do it - on the trail or roadside, with the tools you have with you.

I would love to take you up on this offer, but I do not currently own a set of tire spoons. I would like to buy some, but do not know which set best fits my needs. Would it be possible to use your set of tire spoons for the initial Academy visit?

-Carl

I would love to take you up on this offer, but I do not currently own a set of tire spoons. I would like to buy some, but do not know which set best fits my needs. Would it be possible to use your set of tire spoons for the initial Academy visit?-Carl

Absolutely. The spoons I've settled upon are made by Motion Pro. I use three of their tire spoons. Two regular spoons, and one that has a wrench side for the 27mm nut on the rear axle of my KLR.

You've hit upon another reason to come over here - try my stuff before you build your own road tire repair kit. My list of tools morphed over time, from reading threads on twtex and ADV, watching true experts on the road, benefitting from folks like JT who invented to tube grinder, and so on. You may want to copy what I have, or decide that you have something better that fits how you wrench. What matters is what works for you.

All you need is your motorcycle. We can spoon on a new tire(s) if that's what you need done, or for experience only, we can spoon off and back on one of your existing tires.

General Comment: To be proficient on the trail one has to do this at least a few times to develop the muscle memory needed. Someone with this skill and a complete tire kit will be the go-to guy out there. You'll enjoy your trips more, knowing that you're capable of handling your own tire issues.

These Doug Schopinsky videos are what I started with, and they contain many helpful hints and techniques.

I do what he does on the ground, on a ground cloth. There aren't any tire stands out there on the trail. :lol2:

The golden nugget Doug said, buried in the videos, is this: If it's difficult, you're doing it wrong!

Motion Pro Tire Spoon

1231706290_FG462-O.jpg

Not the only answer, but a good answer.

Three tire spoons of your choice and you're in business :sun:

The only thing you need to lube the bead. Carried in a travel size spray bottle. Lubricates then dries fast.

You can also use it on your windscreen and visor to take in the vista, since your flat tire didn't stop you from enjoying the rest of your trip. :lol2:

1231716143_ehwAV-O.jpg

it's all done like you'll need to do it - on the trail or roadside, with the tools you have with you.

Cellphone is a tool, right? :trust:

I keed, I keed.

Good onya for spreading the wealth. :clap:

How's the BBQ at these events? :mrgreen:

Thanks for bringing that up! Harmon's BBQ is 2 miles from my house. Texas Pride BBQ is about 8 miles.

All the Doohickey guys that come here often go with me to one or the other :eat:

As a reminder, on 9 July, Saturday, M38A1 reprises his role as the best Q chef in America at our BBQ open house here at Casa Tricpilot

The only thing you need to lube the bead. Carried in a travel size spray bottle. Lubricates then dries fast.

You can also use it on your windscreen and visor to take in the vista, since your flat tire didn't stop you from enjoying the rest of your trip. :lol2:

1231716143_ehwAV-O.jpg

Also good for cuts. At least according to that Greek guy in the movie . . .

Thanks for bringing that up! Harmon's BBQ is 2 miles from my house. Texas Pride BBQ is about 8 miles.

All the Doohickey guys that come here often go with me to one or the other :eat:

As a reminder, on 9 July, Saturday, M38A1 reprises his role as the best Q chef in America at our BBQ open house here at Casa Tricpilot
Not exactly what I had in mind. :rofl: But the heads up on the 9 July thing is good. I might be out of town though sadly...perhaps riding on the gap.

Using the information from this thread I feel like I could undertake the challenge of a tire change. However, knowing my mechanical skill set, it is probably best to wait until I can attend the academy. How do I sign up for the next session?

Based on M38A1's post on your July 9 BBQ event and your KLR Doohickey sessions, it sounds like you are quite busy these days. How do you find time to help everyone out?

How do I sign up for the next session?

Just PM me and set up a time.

I've got the next two weeks free now that I'm home from Honduras, before I hit the road again.

You just need your dirt bike and any special tools required by the manufacturer to remove the rear and/or front tire.

If your bike doesn't have a center stand, we'll put it up on the lift for convenience, but all of the tire changing itself is done on the ground on a tarp, just like on the trail. We're practicing for the real world, not the garage.
If we have to use the lift, we'll talk about ways to prop the bike up when on the trail. I'll show you what RG made with his welder to give you an idea of what you can do.

Based on M38A1's post on your July 9 BBQ event and your KLR Doohickey sessions, it sounds like you are quite busy these days. How do you find time to help everyone out?

It's selfish. The vast majority of people I find interesting these days own motorcycles. Paying it forward is another way to look at it. :clap:

Why Slime and Ride-On tire sealant are NOT your friends

Because patches won't stick to slimed tubes?

Trade-off could be argued both ways. Sliming the road tube and carrying un-slimed spares covers both scenarios for trips in the boonies.

Just a thought for this potentially religious discussion...

Because patches won't stick to slimed tubes?

Trade-off could be argued both ways. Sliming the road tube and carrying un-slimed spares covers both scenarios for trips in the boonies.

Just a thought for this potentially religious discussion...

I'll put it this way - I'm in the Ron Camp (Thumper Tx)

I've slimed and ridden without slime - hands down I'd rather deal with a tube without slime in it if I have to attack it flat and oozing green goop.

For this academy, we practice the mechanics of getting a flatted dirt bike back on the trail, from the perspective of what you have with you (or should) trailside.

If folks want to slime their tubes I'm not going to do anything other than to tell them why I don't recommend it anymore nor demonstrate it here. And I've got plenty of slime left over from those days if anyone wants to claim it.

For the record, for anyone else for whom Slime is a religion, preach it brother and may the thorn angels be with you (:nono:)

The last thing you'd want to see is someone who slimes their tubes and relies on the belief that they don't need to learn how to remove and/or patch a tube because "slime will take care of it".

In other words, I'm just helping people learn and practice how to remove a wheel and remove a tube and either replace it or patch it. If they want to go home and add Slime to the equation more power to them, I just have my very good reasons for not doing it. Others may have just as good reasons for doing it.

The only useful green slime at Casa Tricepilot is guacamole :rofl:

I'll take my bacon on the side please. :mrgreen:

Wouldn't want to ruin perfectly good bacon.

So many good openings, sigh.................................just to far away. And that promised BBQ!! [ it was promised, right? ] Anyway, wish I could be there even though I don't have a DS.

I use individual size bottles of bubbles for my tire lube. The 'party pack' of 24 was $2 or so. I have a gargantuan bottle that lives in my tire change bucket. I have never had a problem seating a bead with a little bubble juice on the bead. I like that there is no alcohol to dry the rubber out. In fact, the glycerin is a rubber rejuvenator of sorts. I have plumped up cracked and squished carb o-rings long enough to get new parts in the mail. And, it will let you know real quick if you pinched the tube!

I have just ordered one of these (linky) so I can take the 24mm and 17mm sockets and breaker bar out of my tool bag.

My trail kit has 3 nesting MotionPro 8 1/2" basic irons. My toolbox at home has 2 MotionPro 16" irons and 2 old Craftsman 16" irons.

I would suggest that in the future that the class be held on a patch of baby head rocks and cactus. You know, to give it that air of authenticity.
1220409599_D5Vfb-L.jpg

:mrgreen:

Good idea even with out the cactus and rocks.:clap:

Back