• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HB2470 / HB3838 "Malories Law" - Foot Pegs and Grab Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HB 2470 - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

I think all new sport bikes and I'm even thinking exotic Aprilia RSV4, Ducati 1190, KTM RC8R , BMW S1000RR all have some type of rear passenger seat with a strap and foot pegs. They are very small seats but they have everything to carry a passenger. Even if you can't find a picture of 1 with it on.

Re: HB 2470 Malories Law - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

Ok, I have a problem with the equipment now. I have owned 3 bikes with grab handles. Two had one on each side of the passenger's seat, one had a single bar behind the passenger's seat. None of them has received much in the way of use aside from bungee tie-down points.

Neither my wife or any of my kids ever really hold on to them since there isn't any real support from them. With your hands immediatly underneath your bottom or directly behind your back you have no real additional leverage aside from your seat. It is much more functional to have the passenger hold on to the rider. My "Love Handles" (a web belt around the rider's waist with handles for the passenger to hold) have gotten waaaaay more use than grab handles ever have.

Am I alone in this?

How many Harley's have grab handles? How many bikes from any class or from any manufacturer have grab handles? How many fatalities per year can be directly be attributed to a lack of handles?

Mark - you are beginning to see the light about the fallacy of the proposed legislation. Hand holds are NOT defined in the legislation so enforcement will be problematic. Is it a strap across the seat? Is it a fixed handle on either side of the seat? Is it behind the seat? Is it the pilot, or a belt around the pilot? NONE of it is defined so it's open to subjective interpretation which is NOT how laws should be written.

Here's the proposed text:
Sec. 547.803. SPORT BIKE SAFETY EQUIPMENT. If a sport bike
is designed to carry more than one person, the sport bike must be
equipped with foot pegs and handholds for use by a passenger on the
sport bike.

Furthermore, every site I've visited on new models has footpegs on the sportbike class bikes. It's tough to tell from the little pictures on a grab handle, but I can only assume there's one there from a Federal requirement. So if that's the case, at least for newly manufactured bikes, they come with that equipment and the owner has removed Federally Mandated safety equipment if they are not present. I'd bet heavy money there's a law against that in the Transportation code. So again, this will do nothing as proposed.

So Google is your friend.....

The proposed law regarding foot pegs and handles:

The addition of requisite 'safety' equipment to include:
sport bike.

THE IMPORTANT STUFF:
The net effect of the proposed legislation is a $10 administrative fine if the offender remedies the defect before the first court appearance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but did I just interpret this correctly that the penalty is TEN BUCKS? I'm betting heavy money again that the proposed law will have ZERO impact on the equipment restrictions. Kids will take their chances with this one and if they get busted (assuming this passes) they'll put the pegs and such back on and be done with it to remove it after the court appearance.

Source:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm

TRANSPORTATION CODE
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 547.004. GENERAL OFFENSES. (a) A person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor if the person operates or moves or, as an owner, knowingly permits another to operate or move, a vehicle that:

(1) is unsafe so as to endanger a person;

(2) is not equipped in a manner that complies with the vehicle equipment standards and requirements established by this chapter; or

(3) is equipped in a manner prohibited by this chapter.

(b) A person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor if the person operates a vehicle equipped with an item of vehicle equipment that the person knows has been determined in a compliance proceeding under Section 547.206 to not comply with a department standard.

(c) A court may dismiss a charge brought under this section if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

(d) Subsection (c) does not apply to an offense involving a commercial motor vehicle.

Folks....
With this last bit of information above, if correct in our understanding, we have successfully address all four major points of the proposed legislation. I'll be working on a draft of the bill and our collective assessment/affects and have it for review maybe tomorrow.

Nice job everyone. :clap:

This bill can't be fixed and shouldn't be considered. There have been at least two comments to the effect that if you lost simeone in a tragic situation that they would understand. I do. That still doesn't make this legislation good, proper or beneficial.

i gonna send the below to my senator. and something simular to the lt gov and the committee chair. do yall see anything incorrect/not factual before i send these on their way?

Sir, I have recently become aware of HB 2470. And while I empathize with Malorie's family for their loss. The bill, as written, is disciminatory toward "sport bikes". I am a rider and I am for motorcycle safety. But I do not see that this bill would promote safety or education. It simply singles out a certain class of motorcycle. Texas already requires a MSF, motorcycle safety foundation, approved course to obtain a class M license. This course has a section concerning riding with passengers. This bill does not add to the education requirement. It only adds an age requirement of 18, a time requirement of 2 years for the driver OR the passenger is 18 and has a class M. This in no way ensures that the driver is actually an experienced rider. Or experienced in carrying a passenger. And these stipulations only apply to "sport bike" riders. While a rider with no experience, other than the safety course, may purchase a new "cruiser" and carry a passenger. Even though they are no more experienced than the sport bike rider. They simply chose to purchase a different style of motorcycle.

How will this law be enforced if it does pass? An officer has no means to verify how long a rider has had their class M. Will the system have to be modified or updated in order for this information to be collected and then disseminated. And if so, at what cost?

What effect does this have on motorcycles that are considered sport bikes, that are already in the hands of owners, but were not manufactured with hand holds as required in this bill? Or current motorcycles that are being sold in this state and sitting on showroom floors. And reguarding these hand holds. Does the author of this bill think these would be of any help to a passenger in an accident? I mean that rhetorically. Noone has the strength to hold onto a motorcycle once it is traveling. Even at a relatively slow speed. And noone would want to either. Safety dictates that you should try to seperate yourself from the motorcycle. Because if the motorcycle hits something and high sides, goes flipping through the air, if you are still connected to it you greatly increase your chance of serious injury. And a nice shiny metal motorcycle slides farther than a person. That is another reason you would not want to continue to hold on, even if you could.

If this bill makes it out of committee and to the senate for a vote I hope that you can look past the emotional pleas of the family and supporters. And see this bill for what is it, and is not.

Thank you for your time

As a teacher I have to tell you that this letter has quite a few grammatical errors.

Folks....
With this last bit of information above, if correct in our understanding, we have successfully address all four major points of the proposed legislation. I'll be working on a draft of the bill and our collective assessment/affects and have it for review maybe tomorrow.

Nice job everyone. :clap:

I've been waiting for a letter to copy/paste to send to my rep.

i never seem to spell separate correctly :(. and i left out a r and added a u to a word. coulda been worse :)

AND you started a few sentences with "and".

i actually cut out some of the ands. and that's just poor sentence structure right? not just poor grammar? :) i always hated english. i felt like that character getting his high school diploma in the shawshank redemption when it came to english. too many rules to remember. thx for pointin out the errors.

i actually cut out some of the ands. and that's just poor sentence structure right? not just poor grammar? :) i always hated english. i felt like that character getting his high school diploma in the shawshank redemption when it came to english. too many rules to remember. thx for pointin out the errors.

Have you seen our Texas reps? They'll never know the errors exist.

You got a point, but I think we are giving them way too much credit on their feelings. Tim said deep down they know they are wrong. I dont think they care that they might be wrong. They just want to look in the mirror and say, we did something. That it may be right or wrong doesnt enter in to their mind,
That's pretty much what all politicians do anyways so they can make it look like they did something.

Have you seen our Texas reps? They'll never know the errors exist.
No, but the assistant in their office who reads everything before them was probably an English major or something.

The problem with the proposed legislation is that there is no grandfather clause or allowance for racks or farkles. It's black and white in that ANY bike, regardless of manufacture, year etc is in violation if the pegs/handholds have been removed.

Where is the part of advanced training reducing the waiting period? I do not recall seeing that anywhere in the proposed legislation that has cleared the Texas House. Please quote/direct me to your source.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This thread moves faster than I do. :giveup:

There was a post that suggested the advanced MSF course would reduce the waiting period. I don't think it was part of the current legislation, but something that was discussed to improve the legislation between another poster here and their representative. I cannot find that posting now, so it was either nuked or back far enough that I didn't see it. I also could have misread the post too. Or imagined it entirely...

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This thread moves faster than I do. :giveup:

There was a post that suggested the advanced MSF course would reduce the waiting period. I don't think it was part of the current legislation, but something that was discussed to improve the legislation between another poster here and their representative. I cannot find that posting now, so it was either nuked or back far enough that I didn't see it. I also could have misread the post too. Or imagined it entirely...

It was a suggestion/consideration for change one of the members had with a senator.

Btw seems some other person/group is trying their 'own' thing...

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2905714&posted=1#post2905714

Doesn't the state already mandate a seat and footpegs for any bike that carries a passenger?

OK, thanks to Troy J, the proposed legislation has moved to the Senate and currently sits in the Transportation and Homeland Security Committee.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB2470

The contacts for this include:
Chair -Tommy Williams
Vice-Chair - Kirk Watson
Members:
Wendy Davis
Rodney Ellis
Chris Harris
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa
Robert Nichols
Florence Shapiro
Jeff Wentworth

Clerk: Tulsi Reddy
Tel: (512) 463-0067 Sam Houston Building
Room 450

Let's hit these folks hard with the FACTS about this poorly written legislation. I'm still working on the summary/talking points, but there's enough detail in this thread to give you plenty to work with if you feel the need to get something out asap. I'll try to have it ready Tuesday.

Agian, we must try to kill this in Committee so EVERYONE, we need your support.

Board seems slow last 6 months...disappointing threads like this are the only ones that get any real traffic.

What do you find disappointing about it? Seems very prevalent and an issue that needs to be discussed.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

So Google is your friend.....

The proposed law regarding foot pegs and handles:

The addition of requisite 'safety' equipment to include:
sport bike.

THE IMPORTANT STUFF:
The net effect of the proposed legislation is a $10 administrative fine if the offender remedies the defect before the first court appearance. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but did I just interpret this correctly that the penalty is TEN BUCKS? I'm betting heavy money again that the proposed law will have ZERO impact on the equipment restrictions. Kids will take their chances with this one and if they get busted (assuming this passes) they'll put the pegs and such back on and be done with it to remove it after the court appearance.

Source:
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.547.htm

TRANSPORTATION CODE
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 547. VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
SUBCHAPTER A. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Sec. 547.004. GENERAL OFFENSES. (a) A person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor if the person operates or moves or, as an owner, knowingly permits another to operate or move, a vehicle that:

(1) is unsafe so as to endanger a person;

(2) is not equipped in a manner that complies with the vehicle equipment standards and requirements established by this chapter; or

(3) is equipped in a manner prohibited by this chapter.

(b) A person commits an offense that is a misdemeanor if the person operates a vehicle equipped with an item of vehicle equipment that the person knows has been determined in a compliance proceeding under Section 547.206 to not comply with a department standard.

(c) A court may dismiss a charge brought under this section if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

(d) Subsection (c) does not apply to an offense involving a commercial motor vehicle.

The NEW broad language from the most recent Engrossed version will read:

Sec. 547.803. SAFETY EQUIPMENT. If a motorcycle, including
a sport bike, is designed to carry more than one person, the
motorcycle must be equipped with foot pegs and handholds for use by
a passenger on the motorcycle.

I still oppose this bill, but if it gets past the point of no return my recommendation for the new language should read:

Sec. 547.803. SAFETY EQUIPMENT. If a motorcycle, including
a sport bike, is carrying more than one person, the
motorcycle must be equipped with foot pegs and handholds for use by
a passenger on the motorcycle.

I think the $10 "fee" cited above may be misleading and this is just as easily a misdemeanor. The court "may" dismiss. The court does not have to dismiss depending of the city, county, officer or district attorney. In addition to the "fee," your time in court is not free as you have to pay court costs, etc. Do not forget your friendly spike in insurance to go along with the $10 "fee" or much more if determined to be a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

We must have struck a nerve with mom...... The "TRUTH" sort of stings and I think she and her followers are beginning to realize this bill doesn't meet the objectives initially stated.

Alex Buruian If you would like to protect passengers on motorcycles how come this bill is not aimed at motorcycles with 30% more mortality then supersports? IIHS reports more injuries and fatalities for cruisers and standard motorcycles then supersport bikes, are they not worthy of your 'protection'?
35 minutes ago

Malorie's Law We have over 600 comments with 601 ideas.and your smart a** comment just made you "worthy" of being last in line.............next

Danny Lazourievsky That's not ignorant at all.

Alex Buruian Lol u mad? Just because you play on everyones emotions, doesn't mean that you can sneak discrimination in there.

Alex is again, 100% correct. The IIHS reports a considerably higher fatality rate among a DIFFERENT class of motorcycle other than sportbike. If Malories Law is such a "good" thing for the motorcycling community to "educate and save lives" as they state, why did they EXCLUDE the HIGHEST fatality rate classification of motorcycles. This gives the appearance they have a huge chip on their shoulder against an object (sportbike) that an adult (over 18) was piloting (with his "M" endorsement which requires a pillion education module to be passed, yet also was exceeding the speed limit for conditions according to DPS) when their daughter, also an adult (over 18) was riding that evening.

Yes folks, we have begun to crack the exterior.

Let us remain professional and diligent in our continued efforts to contract the right resources and defeat this poorly written legislation in it's tracks.

OK, thanks to Troy J, the proposed legislation has moved to the Senate and currently sits in the Transportation and Homeland Security Committee.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB2470

The contacts for this include:
Chair -Tommy Williams
Vice-Chair - Kirk Watson
Members:
Wendy Davis
Rodney Ellis
Chris Harris
Juan "Chuy" Hinojosa
Robert Nichols
Florence Shapiro
Jeff Wentworth

Clerk: Tulsi Reddy
Tel: (512) 463-0067 Sam Houston Building
Room 450

Let's hit these folks hard with the FACTS about this poorly written legislation. I'm still working on the summary/talking points, but there's enough detail in this thread to give you plenty to work with if you feel the need to get something out asap. I'll try to have it ready Tuesday.

Agian, we must try to kill this in Committee so EVERYONE, we need your support.

I think Watson might have Class M endorsement and is a senator known to stand up against poorly drafted legislation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back