• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

sport bike luggage

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Tamez
Checking my options if I do buy the new 650R. Can anyone recommend some textile panniers/tailbag? I know J.R., Nelson Riggs, Tourmaster, Chase Harper, and Givi make some.
What do you like/dislike about yours?

I'd like to eventually like to get some Givi E41 hardbags but figure it will be about 6months to a year before they come out w/ mounting hardware for the 2006 models.

I love these from New Enough.

with_tailbag.jpg

Not really expensive, designed to work together, top quality workmanship and won't harm your paint.

I have oxford sport saddle bags. They are nice.

I have a givi top box. It is great. It never gets wet inside no matter how much it rains.

I also have a nelson rigg tank bag and it is very well made and thought out.

Just be careful wear the nylon straps rub the paint, they can be very abrasive. SleepyWeasel has the cortech bags and the straps rubbed his paint a bit on our trip to arkansas. You can get 3m protective film to cover any spots wear the straps lay on the paint.

wabbit said:
You can get 3m protective film to cover any spots wear the straps lay on the paint.

I use black duct tape at those contact points.

txmedic said:
I love these from New Enough.
Not really expensive, designed to work together, top quality workmanship and won't harm your paint.

Ahhha, we have a winner. I like those. I'll check out New Enough. Been awhile since I shopped their site.

+ 1 for the cortech. I have had mine for almost a year now with out any complaints.

PA152327.jpg

:tab These Cortech bags, do they use rain covers or are the water resistant as is? One of the reasons I got away from soft luggage was very poor rain performance. Like Wabbit, the GIVIs I used NEVER got water in them, even when riding all day in torrential gulf coast frog drowning thunderstorms. My boots on the other hand... :-|

They use the included rain covers. I've been know to pack clothing inside large freezer bags or line them with trash bags if expecting rain, however the only real test was a three day rainfest in the Hill Country Banditfest a couple of years ago. They seemed to stay dry during that deluge.

Cortechs look nice... but they were too [expletive removed] small and limited for me. I got the Nelson Rigg's... More info and pictures here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the RKA stuff but it may be a bit pricey for temporary use. Richard and Kathy both ride a lot and put their riding experience into the development of the gear they sell. Check out their site:
http://www.rka-luggage.com/

I've had two bikes equipped with their stuff and still use their magnetic tank bag on my VFR.

For your consideration ...

Dave.

Consider the Ventura system. I love 'em, had the system on my VX800 and was one of the first things I bought for the SV when I bought it.

http://www.sporttouringusa.com/www/V_bikepack.htm

I also have a set of bags that are very waterproof and hold a lot of stuff. They're almost too long for the SV, hang down near the pipe. But, you wouldn't have that problem with the pipe on that new Kaw. I got 'em from JC Whitney for 60-80 dollar range. They have a brand name on 'em, but I forget what they are.

mnapuran said:
Cortechs look nice... but they were too [expletive removed] small and limited for me. I got the Nelson Rigg's... More info and pictures here.

You pack like a girl, Mike. :lol:

Seriously, those Cortech's are good if you don't have to haul a LOT of stuff. Last spring I was packed for a 3 day ride and had them stuffed to their limit, packed light. Of course that limit was a little artificial since I somehow overlooked the zippers that allow the tailbag to expand out.
:oops:

Anyway, I was able to fit enough base layer clothes for the weekend, plus a pair of overpants & a thin windbreaker/rainjacket that proved worth their extra bulk when the trip home across the Talimena scenic drive got chilly.

I will second the Ventura stuff, I have the set and like it although hard
to believe I have not tested it in the rain yet;-)

txmedic said:
I use black duct tape at those contact points.

My bike isn't black. :-D

I've had my Luggage Locker for half a yr and love it. It'll fit a full face lid in the main compartment and still have room for other miscellaneous little things. If I pack wisely I can do a weekend trip to Austin like I did this past Spring. It rained BIGTIME on my way up there and everything stayed dry.

It's pricey but well worth it IMHO. Best of all, no worries about bungees or hurting your paint.

http://www.luggagelocker.com/

luggage+locker+_1_.jpg

luggage+locker+_3_.jpg

Another vote here for the Cortech Sport saddlebags and top bag. Those combined with the giant Cortech tank bag that Rob Spruell gave me provides more storage capacity than I know what to do with. And I've also been told that I pack like a woman. ;-)

P.S. - I was at Lowe's yesterday, and they had colored duct tape, orange being one of them. It was in a pack of 5 or 6 rolls of assorted colors, but I bet you could buy it separately somewhere.

Last edited:
I've got a set of Cortech bags that are fairly large - they're not really sport bags. The tail bag itself is large enoug to be a gym bag. I got rained on riding to Austin my last day on R&R, and they kept the rain out well enough with their covers on. I do pack into water proof bag though - the ones the Army issues are inexpensive, and work pretty well.

Mini Sport Saddle Bags and Rear Barrel Bag from Nelson Riggs the Silver Streak Collection.
One of my zippers busted on a trip:-( , I send it in for warranty repair and they sent me a NEW bag!!! :-D
No questions asked.
Way to stand behind a product.

http://www.nelsonrigg.com/home.htm

I have the cortech sport bags as well, I like them but I rarely use the saddle bags, I do a 3 day weekend with just the tail bag and tank bag.

Those bags do also expand, and I can't see ever filling them up even for a two week or longer trip.

I tend to pack kinda light though.

Dyna Sport said:
I have the cortech sport bags as well, I like them but I rarely use the saddle bags, I do a 3 day weekend with just the tail bag and tank bag.

Those bags do also expand, and I can't see ever filling them up even for a two week or longer trip.

I tend to pack kinda light though.
Your Cortech Sport saddlebags expand? My tail bag does, but not the saddlebags. Have I been using a bum set of bags?

Back