TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,...

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-18-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
way-man

Long distance traveling questions

I am going to be in Boston, Mass. in July, and have already bought a Suzuki V-Strom that I am going to ride home. I have a lot of questions for my more knowledgeable TWT’ers.

First, I want to set-up one of those web based spot tracker “thingies” so that my wife and others can track my progress back to the great state of Texas. What are they called, and what do I have to do to start one? Do I need to upgrade to a smart phone such as an I-phone or an Andriod?

Second, I want to carry a firearm with me, but how does that work since I will be crossing state lines? What is the best way to carry it without getting arrested??? other than the obvious “not getting pulled over for doing something illegal.
Attached Thumbnails
V-strom 1.jpg   V-strom 2.jpg  
way-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
The Bruce
Forum Supporter

Re: Long distance traveling questions

First the firearm. You are going to the worst place for firearm carry rights in the US. Mass. does not allow carry in vehicles at all and does not reciprocate with other states permits. There may be a permit process for out of state concealed carry but you are running out of time. A lot of states consider carrying in a vehicle or luggage as concealed carry even if in a locked case. Fascists.

The tracking thingy is called SPOT and you can get them at REI, Best Buy or on the internet. Works separate from any phone. If you have a smart phone you can use an app called Landmark IIRC. For a fee you can check in, similar to the SPOT but it depends on cell service where as the SPOT uses satellites for communication.

Nice strom. Sounds like a fun trip.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
way-man

Bruce,

Thanks. Yeah, I actually thought about stopping once I was out of Mass to buy a cheap side arm, but still was not sure what the other states purchase or carrying policies were. I am questioning whether the safety of having the pistol was worth the potential legal problems it could cause me. I am more likely to meet a state trooper than have a situation that I would need the pistol, however needing the pistol would mean I REALLY NEED the pistol.

I am very excited for this adventure, and really want to make the most of it. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
ekms377

The android does have a gps tracking app but you would need to plug it in as it would drain the battery over time. You can also set how often it updates your position. iPhone may have an app to but not sure.

If it were me, I'd carry the firearm. I'd rather have it than not.....think about it. Keep it concealed and out of mind and it shouldn't be a problem.

Besides some tools......take a tire plug kit and small air compressor. You may also want to take the windscreen off to get a bit more wind on you. Or maybe buy a used one and cut it down. A Miracool vest needs air to work if you choose to wear one.

2003 Aprilia Mille R ***for sale*** $3000
2013 KTM 250XC
2014 KTM 350XCW

"Anything worth doing.....is worth over doing."
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #5
The Bruce
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylandc View Post
Bruce,

Thanks. Yeah, I actually thought about stopping once I was out of Mass to buy a cheap side arm, but still was not sure what the other states purchase or carrying policies were. I am questioning whether the safety of having the pistol was worth the potential legal problems it could cause me. I am more likely to meet a state trooper than have a situation that I would need the pistol, however needing the pistol would mean I REALLY NEED the pistol.

I am very excited for this adventure, and really want to make the most of it. Thanks.
Before I head out on a long multi-state ride I always check with the TX DPS reciprocation listing for CHL. If I have questions after that I'll look up the statutes for the state. Most recently I've researched CA, NV, and UT for my summer trip. They are all different. Who would have thought that in Nevada ANYONE can strap on and walk down the Vegas strip without a permit but if you carry one in your suitcase w/o permit you are a felon. Just an example. If you were planning on buying a handgun in the near future, you idea of doing so once out of the People's Republic of MA that would be a way to go for the rest of the trip. But once again, check the laws for those states. CHL with reciprocal agreements between states is the way to go. Main reason I went through the CHL process.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:07 AM   #6
Bob Dahringer
Forum Supporter

Skip the heater, coming out of New England, you will have to pass thru New York state, not a state where you wanna get caught carrying. I dont think CT is all that gun friendly either if youre gonna go that way.

IIRC, the newer generation SPOT can send text messages, a big plus over the original devices. SPOT can be set up to leave a mark every 10 minutes, (tracking mode) or you can manually enter your location.

Since you'll be running solo, make sure you have an up to date list of emergency contact numbers that you carry on your person somewhere; I have my contact info on a laminated card that I wear around my neck.
A small first aid kit should be a consideration also.

Enjoy your trip, watch out for the 4 wheelers in the Northeast.
IBA #11610, AMA#485692

2013 Moto-Guzzi Stelvio NTX. "Sophia", named after another Italian beauty with big jugs.
Bob Dahringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
way-man

It is a funny mix of emotions because I am so used to carrying in Texas that I feel naked without one and cannot comprehend that other states do not think like we do. Yet at the same time I can easily understand that there are a lot of people out there that have no business with firearms. At the same time of all the times I have carried, I have never actually needed it. It is like a security blanket.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
Chuck500

My 2Cents. I have a CHL but do not carry often. Skip the fire arm. Over and over I read in the hand gun press about the trouble people get into because they do not understand the laws of places they travel to. The overwhelming advice is follow the law of the place you are in. The odds of needing the firearm are slim. Like a poster above said, it's a security blanket. Don't become a felon over it. If you do, CHL in TX is gone, right to vote , gone, job maybe gone. Is it worth the downside?

Just some thoughts.
Chuck500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
txvoyager
Forum Supporter

Regarding the firearm, checkers www.handgunlaw.us.

You'll really like the SPOT if you get one. Definitely get it ahead of time so that its all set up and you're no learning how to operate it in traffic up in the NE.
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'01 BMW LT
txvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #10
Tazman2

I'm in CT. Even if you follow the peaceful journey thing which basically states that if you leave state A and go to state B and can legally carry in both most of New England especially NY/NJ and MA do NOT follow it and will arrest you even if legally locked up, etc. etc. Also, rest stops apparently are state property in NY and thus you break the peaceful journey law anyway. Leave it at home. Bring a knife under 4" and hope for the best!
Cut Zero Gravity Smoked Windshield
18" Delkevic Slipon, Sargent seat, Holeshot Stage2, Racetech springs, Hayabusa shock and EBC pads!
Tazman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #11
flb_78

The Federal Traveling law trumps all state laws. Anyone who can own a firearm can carry it in their vehicle locked up and unloaded, out of the driver's reach.

Quote:
FEDERAL LAW ON TRANSPORTATION OF FIREARMS

A provision of the federal law known as the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, protects those who are transporting firearms for lawful purposes from local restrictions which would otherwise prohibit passage.

Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law, a person is entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he or she may lawfully possess such firearm to any other place where he or she may lawfully possess it, if the firearm is unloaded and locked out of reach. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Ammunition that is either locked out of reach in the trunk or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console is also covered. FOPA also seems to provide for necessary stops, like gasoline and rest.

Travelers should be aware that some state and local governments treat this federal provision as an “affirmative defense” that may only be raised after an arrest.
http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59
flb_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:54 PM   #12
ekms377

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman2 View Post
I'm in CT. Even if you follow the peaceful journey thing which basically states that if you leave state A and go to state B and can legally carry in both most of New England especially NY/NJ and MA do NOT follow it and will arrest you even if legally locked up, etc. etc. Also, rest stops apparently are state property in NY and thus you break the peaceful journey law anyway. Leave it at home. Bring a knife under 4" and hope for the best!
No way......you are way too trusting. I don't carry as much as I'd like due to my work. If it wasn't for that....I'd always have it....cage or bike. I guess if I lived in CT....that would be another matter.

2003 Aprilia Mille R ***for sale*** $3000
2013 KTM 250XC
2014 KTM 350XCW

"Anything worth doing.....is worth over doing."
ekms377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Tx White Knight

If you get a Spot they have a web page that you can let folks track you but jason has built a FREE application called SpotWalla that uses the spot data and does a very nice job of it.

A lot of the folks ridding the IBA that starts tomorrow will be using it also

http://spotwalla.com/
'06' BMW K1200GT sold
Tx White Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
Tazman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekms377 View Post
No way......you are way too trusting. I don't carry as much as I'd like due to my work. If it wasn't for that....I'd always have it....cage or bike. I guess if I lived in CT....that would be another matter.
I may sound like it but I'm really not. Whenever I legally can I carry at least one pistol and one spare mag on me at all times!
Cut Zero Gravity Smoked Windshield
18" Delkevic Slipon, Sargent seat, Holeshot Stage2, Racetech springs, Hayabusa shock and EBC pads!
Tazman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #15
tricepilot
Forum Supporter

Guns are passé......Krav Maga is the latest rage. Think Moto-MMA.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
way-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Guns are passé......Krav Maga is the latest rage. Think Moto-MMA.
I fly there on July 2nd so I do not really have time to master ANOTHER fighting style on top of the zero I have already mastered in my 42 years...unless of course screaming and running is a fight style…cause I have a black belt in that.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #17
txvoyager
Forum Supporter

Here's a deal from SPOT... $50 Rebate

It's for the original version which is a little larger physically, but there seems to be some agreement that it had better battery life. It's what I still use...
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'01 BMW LT
txvoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #18
JT
Where's my beer?
Forum Supporter

Unless you have an FFL, I don't believe you can buy a handgun outside of your home state.
2003 KLX400R
2004 KDX220R
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #19
tricepilot
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylandc View Post
...unless of course screaming and running is a fight style…cause I have a black belt in that.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #20
MotoTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by flb_78 View Post
The Federal Traveling law trumps all state laws. Anyone who can own a firearm can carry it in their vehicle locked up and unloaded, out of the driver's reach.
http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59
Doesn't the phrase "Under FOPA, notwithstanding any state or local law" mean "unless the state or local laws say differently?"

In the republic of the U.S.A. state law will generally trump federal law, except when the matter involves more than one state, then the federal courts are there to resolve any dispute between states.

CURRENT BIKES: '00 Suzuki DRZ400E-Plated; '04 KTM 950 Adventure; '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote