TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Gone But Not Forgotten!

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-07-2003, 10:55 AM   #21
Thermalser

Scott

Thanks for the update. And thanks for stepping up and providing the great support to Marks family in this great time of need. You and Beth are wonderful, caring people.

Also appreciate the fact that your are trying to find the answers to the questions a lot of us have been thinking about involving this tradgedy. This is a road many of us have spent a good deal of time on and your insights are welcomed in the hopes that we may keep our travels as safe as possible.
TSBA Houston Chapter Prez
Texas Sport Bike Association
FZ1 Owners Association
Thermalser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:38 PM   #22
leeroy

Scott, You and Beth are the definition of class.Iwant to thank you for everything you do. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Marks wife and son. Godspeed.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:16 AM   #23
Mark's Gal

First let me say thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. Andy and I will need all the support we can get to make it through. Mark was indeed truly the finest man I have ever known. You all knew him as a friend and he touched each of your lives. He touched mine and Andy's in a way that I feel blessed to have at least had him in our lives for a little while. As a husband he would have made every woman jealous to know how he treated and pampered me; as a daddy every boy in the neighborhood wanted to be at our house (even when Andy wasn't here) Mark was a big kid himself and had a love for children as much as his love for motorcycles. He was building our dream home that he designed himself and everyday he'd come home and tell me of the changes he'd made and be so excited because they were things he would think of just to impress me. On his way up to King's Cafe he stopped by to check on the construction of it so I know he was tickled, the windows were hung and the hardy plank had been hung and it was really coming along. He was contracting it himself and was so very proud of the success he had accomplished thus far. So he was on cloud nine after seeing it. So he was feeling good riding his favorite bike on one of his favorite roads. That's why I want to have the celebration party out there. I will keep Scott up to date on things and let you all know when.

Thanks again for all your prayers and for being there when Andy and I will be reaching out for friends to comfort us.

Kim Eggers
Old 11-09-2003, 01:38 AM   #24
Anonymous

http://www.epowersports.com/enthusiast_oct11.htm [the link no longer works, but thanks to the site http://web.archive.org, I was able to do a search for that link and found the original essay by Mark - TM]

Quote:
PowerSports, Inc.
2000 N. Federal Hwy., Delray Beach, FL 33483
(800) 533-2244
www.ePowerSports.com

The rest of Mark's Story:

When I was 18 years old I saw a very limited Honda VF1000R sitting in a Honda dealers showroom on a pedestal with ropes around it. You weren’t even allowed to touch it. I was smitten to say the least. As much as I loved my 1985 700 Interceptor, the 1000 was the bike I lusted after.

Time moved on and I grew up and went through many motorcycles. I rode everything from cruisers to sport bikes, from Harleys to Hondas. I even spent a summer selling bikes for a local Honda/Suzuki/ Harley-Davidson dealership.

Then in early December of 2001 I chanced across an ad on the Internet for a slightly rough looking, but good running VF1000R for only $1600. I had to have it. I thought hard of how I would approach my wife with this delicate request and had nearly written it off when I casually mentioned the bike to her and how historically important the bike was to me. To my surprise she supported me and even gave me her tentative blessings on a fly and ride trip to recover the bike. Wow! I knew my wife of 6 months was a keeper!

My lovely wife allowed me to spend some of our Christmas funds on the VF1000R. The seller said it was mechanically sound, had fresh oil and a new back tire. I told him that if he could drop it at a Honda dealer for a mechanical check that I would have the money there at the dealership waiting on him and the bike. As soon as the dealer verified the mechanical integrity of the bike and made sure the title and such were in order, they gave him the $1500 cashier's check we had negotiated earlier and that I had sent earlier to the dealership.

The bike received a clean bill of health with the exception of a suspect front tire.

I flew up to Kansas City the day after Christmas from Houston early in the morning on Thursday December 27th 2001 to ride home my new (to me) '85 VF1000R. I flew with my helmet in one hand and my Hondaline soft bags in the other. The airport security checked my baggage and me thoroughly as I was wearing my black leather motorcycle jacket and had decided not to shave for a little extra chin protection. I looked like a biker type for sure.

As we approached K.C., I noticed the ominously darkening cloud cover. I got off the plane and found a cab for the trip to Honda North of K.C. (A dealer I highly recommend by the way!) It was cold and dreary. I brought along an insulated ski-bib, boots, sweatshirt, leather jacket, jeans, extra heavy insulated socks, a neck gaiter and gauntlet style gloves. No electrics of any kind.

I arrived at the shop and they said the bike wasn't ready yet. Huh? I thought it was all ready yesterday. Apparently my lovely wife had called up and had them order and install a new matching front tire and they were just balancing it. What a great surprise and belated Christmas gift! I called her on the cell phone to thank her not only for her thoughtfulness of the tire, but also for allowing me to go on such a great adventure.

It was 27 degrees with snow flurries as I warmed up the bike and loaded the luggage. I sat on the bike for the first time in all of my gear and noticed the somewhat extreme riding position. I thought to myself this is going to be a tough 1000 miles in two days! It was about noon as I pulled away from the dealership with even a few of the hardcore motorcyclists shaking their heads in disbelief. I was finally headed towards Houston.

The first couple hundred miles was brutally tough. It was cold, I was feeling out the new bike, remembering the map in my head and trying to read road signs. I remembered that flying in I had seen the clouds break maybe just a hundred or so miles to the south and decided to make a real effort to get to the sunshine. My goal for the first day was to make it to Oklahoma City and get a motel room.

I headed West towards Topeka were I would turn South on 35. My first stop after about an hour on the bike I was already stiff and cold. I filled up the gas tank and drank a cup of coffee to warm up. The bike was running good with a few bursts up to 80 or 90 MPH, I noticed that the wind protection was pretty good. I got on the Kansas turnpike and headed south to Wichita.

What a desolate stretch of highway! I soon found myself getting passed by cars doing 100 MPH and decided to stretch the legs of the VFR. I tucked about a quarter mile behind a BMW and a Porsche doing a consistent 120. We did over 50 miles at that speed. The bike was stable and purring like a kitten. Not bad for a 16 year old sport bike!

I arrived in Wichita in great time but cold to the core. I couldn’t warm up no matter what I did, so I decided to get going and try to make it to Oklahoma City.

The trip through northern Oklahoma was uneventful until I pulled off of the highway for gas and dinner and hit many patches of ice. Apparently they had gotten some sleet the night before and quite a bit of it was still on the ground. I was in Guthrie Oklahoma and pulled into a Burger King. Hit several patches of ice, but never fell. I got me a burger and cup of coffee and noticed a hotel/motel guide for the state of Oklahoma. I picked it up and scrutinized it for the best place for me to rest that evening and lo and behold an ad pops out at me with a magic phrase “Jacuzzi in every room” I called on my cell and secured the very last Jacuzzi room they had! WooooHooooo!!!! Life was good!

I made the last hour ride into Oklahoma City and started looking for my room. 7 1/2 hours after I started, I had made it to Oklahoma City. Found my hotel with a Jacuzzi tub and recovered nicely. I finally got warmed up.

Friday was much better. I got up and had a nice hearty breakfast and waited for rush hour to settle down. I got on the road about 8:30 in the morning.

I immediately noticed I wasn’t sore or tired from the previous days ride. I thought for sure I would be tired and sore by the next day.

Now I was starting to feel comfortable on the bike and the riding position no longer seemed so extreme. I headed down 35 towards the Texas border and got into some nice hills that really made a nice break from the miles of the flat and straight droning from the day before. I tagged about a 1/8th mile from the back on an 18 wheeler (empty tank truck) that was really hauling between Oklahoma City and the border. We did 80-90MPH on the up hills and 100-110 going downhill. He was really clearing the road for me! At the last rest stop before the Texas border he pulled over gave me a big wave and a smile as I drove by.

I made sure to stay far enough behind him to stay out of the wake and so he could see me. I know they don’t like people drafting them. He seemed to appreciate the tail and company through the hills and the safe way that I followed him.

At my next stop for gas a trucker came up to me and asked if I was the tail on that Oklahoma train? I said yes a little tentatively and he laughed and said that we were all over the radio as the crazy trucker with the Evel Knievel tail! Here I was, a legend in the making.

By the time I got to Dallas it was 70 and sunny! What a glorious ride on in towards Houston. The trip from Dallas to just north of Houston was beautiful, fun, warm and uneventful. It all made for the kind of ride that we all live for.
The most surprising thing about my mid-winter adventure is the fact that I had no sore muscles of any kind from this trip. Who would have thought a VF1000R would make such a great sport-tourer?

The bike ran flawlessly the entire 978-mile trip. Since then I have added several thousand trouble free miles and enjoy every one of them from the bumper to bumper traffic on my way to work to the curvy well maintained roads in Montgomery County. Life is definitely good!
Mark Eggers

Last edited by Tourmeister; 07-11-2010 at 08:08 PM.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 01:42 AM   #25
Anonymous

Sorry, I have only known Mark through his wonderful wife Kim. He is one of the most extraordinary people I have ever known and ever expect to know. Kim, I am more sorry than I can ever express. I know what you had and lost. I know you will find strength through the person you are and the growth that knowing Mark has allowed you. Anyhow the previous link is to a great story that Mark wrote.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 02:53 PM   #26
scratch
User's account inactive by request

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
http://www.epowersports.com/enthusiast_oct11.htm
After reading that story, along with the anecdotes that others have given about their relationships with Mark, one comes away with the impression that he had a lot of optimism and courage, besides being just plain tough. I regret that I never had the pleasure of meeting or corresponding with him. My condolences go out to his wife, his family and friends, but also my envy, because you were blessed to have had this very special person in your lives. That we could all have been so fortunate...
scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:29 PM   #27
figment

so very sorry to hear this. After reading the numerous replies and the article about his Viffer it is obvious, the loss to all, including those like myself who never got to meet Mark.

May the God of all comfort hold those of you who are grieving under His wing. Amen.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:51 PM   #28
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Howdy,

The viewing is today from 5-8pm. The funeral home is just off of I-45 in Willis. Take the FM 1097 exit and head West. They are on the left a few miles down, hard to miss.

Addison-Smith Funeral Home
10129 W. FM 1097
Willis, TX 77318
936-890-0454

The Memorial service is tomorrow at 2:00pm, same location.

If you'd like to ride your bike to either service, feel free. Kim does not have a problem with it.

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For May: $327.81 - Previous Month: $920.74 - Record High: Feb 09 $1360.84
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 02:39 PM   #29
Rdslvr04

Mark Eggers

What can one say but that it was a privilage to ride w/ Mark and a real honor to met Kim and Andy. Our prayers and well wishes our w/ you both.

Sincerely

Vittorio & Emily.
Rdslvr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 11:17 AM   #30
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Howdy,

The wake yesterday evening was really nice. One of the other members of the Houston Sportbike Netwrok printed out some enlarged pictures from the July Hodges Gardens trip this summer. They came out great! Kim framed them and they were on display. All of the family really seemed to appreciate that. Thanks to those of you that made it out to pay your respects. I hope to see a few of you at the service this afternoon if you can make it. It is at 2:00pm at the funeral home there in Willis.

Adios,

Total Forum Supporter Donations For May: $327.81 - Previous Month: $920.74 - Record High: Feb 09 $1360.84

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 11-11-2003, 12:02 PM   #31
texmex1

Scott, unfortunatley I am still sick, so please give her a big hug for me.....
It was really nice to see her and Andy Sat night....
Old 11-11-2003, 10:57 PM   #32
bbaker

A message from Mark Eggers Brother-in-Law

All:
Allow me to introduce myself, which will make this easier to understand. My name is Bobby Baker, my wife is Michelle Baker. Michelle is Mark Eggers sister. My mother in law is Marilyn Eggers, Mark's mom, making me the brother in law. I have been part of their family for 21+ years. I knew Mark when he was 16, asked his permission to marry his sister and have known Mark thru many years and became his friend.

Not sure where to start. First off, this thread is unbelievable. Michelle & Marilyn will find it amazing that Mark had such a wide group of great buddies and supporters -far beyond what they knew.

Next, I met Scott Friday at the funeral today (Nov 11th), based on Michelle's strong recommendation. I've know Scott Friday for 30 mins, and I already know he is one of the greatest folks I will ever know. Scott helped me locate the accident scene, something Mark's mom & sister wanted to understand. We visted the site and left flowers next to the ****** tree, flowers my own parents sent on Mark's behalf. Thanks to Scott Friday, Mark's mom & sister now better understand what happened. I must say, they are very appreciative of this help, Scott, and you have helped them in their grieveing.

Only thing left to solve is why he & the bike left the road. Based on what I saw, Scott F. is correct, there was NO visability issue, there was NO sharp, immediate curve. If not an unfortunately timed medical issue, the only explaination could be an avoidance maneuver. The land owner came out while we looked at the scene and explained that this location was known for many nasty accidents (he had to replace his fence 6 times in 2 yrs). Mark would not have left the road abritrarily. Again, I have know Mark for over 21+ years. He was the poster boy for safe riding. The mystery to all of us is why his bike left the road. I'm not a rider, so any theories offered are much appreciated.

Word may be circulating that a benefit could be planned to help Kim & Andy. Please also consider Mark's mom & sister in this, not from a monetary perspective, but from a personal one. In the event a benefit was to occur, please contact me. The one thing I do have to offer is one one or more live bands -> I am the lead guitar player in a classic/new rock band. I will offer my band to play for free, maybe more bands, to draw more folks and more money as desired. My home email is rbaker5@houston.rr.com, home phone is 281-655-0286. Please keep us informed as Mark's mom & sister would appreciate that.

Thanks again to Scott Friday for your unselfish help.
BB
bbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 12:24 AM   #33
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Howdy,

One other new wrinkle. It appears that there was in fact a witness. We are trying to get the information to contact the witness. This person supposedly saw Mark leave the road. We are also waiting on Autopsy results, although I am not real sure how much it can tells us other than it was not a heart attack.

We are still not sure about the insurance situation. That may take a while. Also, with the holidays fast approaching, I am not sure how well we could do a benefit and get any kind of turnout. WE may do a party in the next week or two and then do soem kind of fundraiser benefit later. I will have to work with Kim and the family to plan this. Right now I kind of want to leave Kim alone. The last week has really taken its' toll on her emotionally, mentally, and physically. She needs some time to come down off the last week and decompress. The house is nowhere near completion so we still have some time before anything definite needs to be done.

Thanks to everyone that made it out to the wake and the services today. The service was really nice.

Adios,

Quote:

Old 11-12-2003, 12:16 PM   #34
texmex1

Scott, I am in for anything I can do with regards to a fundraiser or memorial party....
I do wish I could of made it out yesterday.... :|
Old 11-20-2003, 01:54 PM   #35
forest007

My long lost friend, Mark Eggers

I lost contact with Mark after selling him my 82 Suzuki RM250 a few years ago. I tried in vain to re-establish contact with him over the years with no luck. Yesterday, I finally read our local Woodlands paper about his accident and death. I worked with Mark in the Engineering field (Piping design) and we met first at either S&B Engineering or Parsons (I can't remember which). He helped me get a job with him working at Waukesha Pearce a few years later. I'm disappointed that I didn't find out in time to attend any of the services but would like to attend any future celebrations of his life. My Wife and I would like to be kept in the loop as far as a time, date and location of any event honoring Mark. He was a heck of a guy and we will miss him much. I would appreciate being put in contact with his family if possible.

Miss ya buddy!

Forest and Robin Smith
281-288-0221 hm 832-457-3273 cell
28823 Stapleford dr
Spring, TX 77386
forest007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 04:26 PM   #36
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Howdy Forest,

Kim reads the board occasionally and this thread in particular. We are still waiting to find out about the insurance situation. Hopefully, that will take care of any financial concerns and we can just have a party for fun. Otherwise, we will try our hand at doing some serious fund raising. The goal would be right at $250K! Or at least enough that we could get the house payment down to an amount that Kim could handle on her own. Check back here for details about any events.

Adios,

Quote:

Old 11-20-2003, 06:00 PM   #37
Mark's Gal

Thanks Scott, I actually read it almost daily. It helps me feel close to Mark. I miss him sooo very much it is hard to handle coming home and not being able to snuggle up to him. He was the one that took my pain away when I had any. He was the one that made my world a better place. I am trying to make it day by day most of the time minute by minute, I've gone back to work just to stay busy because my mornings at home alone are unbearable. We've continued construction on the house since it has to be done no matter what and one of Mark's good friends that just finished their house; Rick has been helping me along. Especially since the guy that was to do the roof is trying to rip me off now that Mark is gone. He said things that Mark told him that I know were flat out lies and he kept trying to throw in another 500.00 somewhere even down to the point where he said the framers didn't put in enough nails in the decking so he was going to have to charge me another 500.00 to put the nails in himself. That has been settled, my framers who were at the funeral came out and added more nails at no cost but I am in shock that someone would try to take advantage of me at a time like this. We are going to try and do as much of the finish work ourselves and could use anybody with any knowledge on it to lend a hand if possible in hopes to keep the cost down. Rick says we are capable of doing all the painting indoors and out and we are capable of the molding and tile laying. He & I both hope it will save a substatial amount. So if a fundraiser is needed it might make things a little easier. I won't know anything about the insurance until I am able to send the form in with a death certificate which I still do not have since an autopsy was ordered. I guess everything takes awhile. Including finding Mark's wedding band. I can't find it and it has been really bothering me, it wasn't just his wedding band it was engraved inside the band. Our movie is The Princess Bride so I had it engraved "As you wish". Mark always told me whenever I asked him anything "As you wish" because if you've seen the movie then you know that meant "I Love You". I'm sorry I am babbling on I just miss him so much I don't know what to do with my time. I just need to get it out I suppose. Anyway thanks for your time.
Kim Eggers
Old 11-20-2003, 06:22 PM   #38
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Kim,

I would suspect that the wedding band may have been removed. It is very unlikely that it came off during the accident. I ocassionally will remove mine when riding if my fingers are swelling. Do you know if Mark ever did this? If not, the funeral home should have it if they have his other personal effects like his wallet, etc,... If not, then someone somewhere along the line is feeding you a line of B.S. I'd hate to think someone would steal it though.

Also, I've been waiting to contact you because I wanted to give you some time. However, if it is alright with you, I'd like to come get Mark's bike, bring it here and clean it up so we can get a good idea of what might need fixing. I've already had a few people contact me about it and I've put them on indefinite hold. Most people are of the opinion that parting it out will bring in the most money. Some people would like to see someone fix it up and keep it in the TWT community. Just let me know when you are up for a visit.

Regarding a party/dinner fundraiser. Again, that is on your schedule. There is no need to rush it. Also, with the Holiday season upon us, many people may have trouble making it. Perhaps some time in January after New Years? Or would you like to try to do something between Thanksgiving and Christmas? Just let me know. Feel free to contact me by phone or my email address: tourmeister@twtex.com

How's Andy doing?

Adios,

Quote:

Last edited by Tourmeister; 02-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:29 PM   #39
scratch
User's account inactive by request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's Gal

...We are going to try and do as much of the finish work ourselves and could use anybody with any knowledge on it to lend a hand if possible in hopes to keep the cost down. Rick says we are capable of doing all the painting indoors and out and we are capable of the molding and tile laying. He & I both hope it will save a substatial amount.

Kim Eggers
How about if everybody gets together and we have a "TWT painting day"? If enough people participate, most of it could be done in a single session. Same for the molding and tile laying for that matter. Put my name in the hat if you want to consider something like this. I'm not exactly Michelangelo, but I have painted a few ceilings in my time. :wink:
scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 10:51 PM   #40
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Careful there Paul... we have some painting to do very soon... With any luck, we will be rid of our contractors within a week!! Then I can put this whole sordid experience behind me

Adios,

Quote: