• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

'88 Honda NX650

Reaction score
Got this bike from a friend who bought it new and wondering what it needs other than normal care. Have just installed K&N filter, otherwise stock. Little over 7K and just as Honda assembled it. Thought I'd sell it but its so nice I think I'll put it to use. Suggestions? Thanks.

Just make sure the tires are not old and cracking, then enjoy the ride!

The CDIs are known failure points. Late 80's and early 90s CDIs failed due to cold solder joints giving out. If you can crank but have no spark, and the tach only jumps when you first start to crank it, the cdi is probably fried.

Lube the cables, change the fork oil, and check the swingarm guard.

Otherwise, they are very nice rides.

Pictures are required or we don't believe you! :trust:

Hmmmm! I am absolutely the poster boy for electronics/gadget challenged. Have no digital camera and don't know what to do with one. Don't want to learn either. So, search for a new NX650 and you are looking at this bike. Almost. I did find a couple slight scratches the other day I do not remember being there when I got it. Gonna have a talk with my wife, she is not supposed to enter my shop. But she is a coonass and instructions require frequent repeating.

Hmmmm! I am absolutely the poster boy for electronics/gadget challenged. Have no digital camera and don't know what to do with one. Don't want to learn either. So, search for a new NX650 and you are looking at this bike. Almost. I did find a couple slight scratches the other day I do not remember being there when I got it. Gonna have a talk with my wife, she is not supposed to enter my shop. But she is a coonass and instructions require frequent repeating.

:rofl:

I'd be happy to come do a complete profile photo shoot of the bike for you. My rates are extremely affordable. For this I'd include several 8x10 glossy shots and even a photo book to enjoy with your friends.

Cost: (1) barely used 1988 Honda NX650. And I'd be happy to pick it up. :rider: :thumb: ;-) :lol2:

+1 on the CDI. I bought one not running back in 03, got it going as a commuter then sold it to my dad a few years later... now my best friend has it. Great, simple, dependable bike. The RFVC motors will last forever... if you have problems finding motor parts at the dealer, get it for a XR650L; same motor.

I'll be real happy if I can get the throttle put back together and it work. Only 12 tries so far, taking a break before I get out the hammer. The BIG one!:angryfire

Back