• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mount for video camera

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Martinez
What are you folks using? I looked for lipstick cameras, but they're quite pricey. I also looked for mounts, and found one that bolts to the gas cap ring, but it's $90 - and I'm quite certain I could build one of a similar design for much much less. I don't mind building stuff at all, but if there's something simple that "just works" I'm all for that. The bike in question is a '05 Suzuki SV650S, and the video camera is a Canon ZR85.

Modifying a RAM mount to mount where the gastank bolts up in the front looks promising (stolen idea from a guy doing just that on a VFR) - and it's $60 cheaper than the machined AL one. This is something that'll have to wait for me to redeploy anyway.

I used a ram handlebar mount and the ram base for a camera. It worked well.

The good thing is once you mount the ram ball on the handlebar you can use it for other things like gps, radar detector, etc.

My old bike had a tubular rear frame that was similar to the handlebar thickness. I mounted a ram ball on the rear from so I could put the video camera on the bike facing backward.

Here's the video.
http://cracked-egg.com/triumph/Arkansas1.wmv

This is a little stone age but
Back in the day I wanted a video of Fort Davis and the River Road So I carved out a cradle for the video camera from styrofoam(a solid piece from the corner of a stereo shipping box) Covered it in duct tape attached it to the gas tank with bungee cords. Worked great but too much vibration So I put some heavy rubber(Truck bed mat) in the bottom of the cradle the about 1" of foam rubber. PERFECT! Not pretty but wonderfully tough and vibration absorbant! Remeber this was a VHS camera! So a similar mount could be custom built for your camera and attached ANYWHERE! Jack you said something about using one for the races,, same deal if its on top of the tank chances are VERY small of it getting injured there and it could be even further armoured by any extra top styrofoam cover!

OT, but SRAD, you're wayyyyyy out there in Midland/Odessa right? I grew up out there - haven't been west of Garner State Park in about 13 years though.

I'm pretty sure I can work with the RAM mount to achieve what I want, we use essentially the same setup for the stupidly heavy screens on our tracking rigs out here in the sandbox.

Mike,

That's pretty much exactly what I'm planning to do, unless I end up fabricating something from the ground up (which is pretty likely given the kinda gearhead I am)

Back