• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ400SM - who has/had them?

Reaction score
Well, I love my Vstrom. Its a great all around tool. BUT...since its my first bike that isnt a "sport" bike....im missing a bit of thrill.

I work in the motorcycle industry, so I know drz is often frowned on how "tame" they are out of the box, but how much do they wake up with the recommended mods? Im a big guy (6'2 - 255) I want the drz for the reliability, the ease of maintenance, the parts availability....but I am considering the husky 610 for the power. I dont want a bike that you are ringing its neck to hit 80mph.

input? If it helps to compare...I ride a well modded crf450x in the dirt, just sold my ktm 400exc dual sport, and ride a dl1000 now, last bike was a euro converted naked fz1.

thanks

DRZ's aren't gonna smoke a crf450x, but they're reliable and cheap to buy and maintain. Id go with a pre 06 e model so you get the better carb.

Well, I love my Vstrom. Its a great all around tool. BUT...since its my first bike that isnt a "sport" bike....im missing a bit of thrill.

I work in the motorcycle industry, so I know drz is often frowned on how "tame" they are out of the box, but how much do they wake up with the recommended mods? Im a big guy (6'2 - 255) I want the drz for the reliability, the ease of maintenance, the parts availability....but I am considering the husky 610 for the power. I dont want a bike that you are ringing its neck to hit 80mph.

input? If it helps to compare...I ride a well modded crf450x in the dirt, just sold my ktm 400exc dual sport, and ride a dl1000 now, last bike was a euro converted naked fz1.

thanks

I have owned lots of motards. It all depends on what the reliability to speed ratio is in your mind. To me, the DRZ is a great middle of the road option. I would also recommend XR650L or even an XR400R converted as two other options. I loved my DRZ400E model that I used in "sportsman" motard configuration. It was bulletproof and good for 97 miles an hour with no changes other than a pipe and jet kit. I am 6 foot 265, no issues at all.

The XR400R motard I had was bullet proof as well and I never had an issue with it. It was a little slower top end (about 85mph). The KTM450SMR was a beast, but expensive for lots of mechanical work needed when ridden hard. Actually almost all high strung 450's are that way, something the DRZ seems immune to.

I currently have a Duke II 640 and after one track day, decided to keep it for street use and I am buying back a modded 2003 CRF450 for motard track days. The KTM Duke II is a little heavy and just a bit faster than a DRZ at the track.

I do not have first hand experience with the Husky's although I have heard good things.

My 0.02.

Staton

I've ridden a nicely modded DRZ and the Husky 610 back to back. We all pretty much admitted that the DRZ was every bit as good, and more reliable and less expensive. Doug, member here, had owned both previously and sold them to friends, also members here. After taking both for a spin he went out and picked up another DRZ as his choice of motards.

I loved mine and I will likely have another again. And bone stock it was good for 97mph indicated.

Let the whoring commence!

Doug's well modded old bike on the right, now Chris's (Danceswithcurves) and my stock one on the left/

IMG_1390.JPG

Hey there good lookin!

IMG_1388.JPG

Big DRZ's, little DRZ's, Big people, and little people!

IMG_1419.JPG

Bone stock, including tires, two weeks in my possession, never owned a motard before and first time on this track....never felt so comfortable so quickly.

IMG_34750.JPG

Chris on the hunt!

IMG_33356.JPG

IMG_33782.JPG

Well I have had a xr400r but in dirt trim only (loved it). If I could get the hit I get from my 450x in the street I would be happy (it's highly modded though). My ktm cost too much to maintain IMO.

I don't think I want to convert a dirt bike simply for maintenance intervals(unless I am misinformed)

I would love my 450x in the street. But it's setup PERFECT for dirt right now so I wouldn't want to mess with it.

My usage plans are 2 track days a year. Commute 25 minutes once a week. Weekend rides in the twisters. And the occasional impromptu ADV ride. Oh, and I would be lying if I didn't say I wanted to do wheelies.

I'd say all signs point to a DRZ. :clap:

If you can get a converted E model, I would suggest it, but the SM is great as well.

Yup, DRZ it is. But they won't do wheelies.

At least mine couldn't, but that's likely because of the rider and the rather small orbs between his legs.

school me on the pros and cons of converting a dirt bike (E model, etc) vs buying a factory SM.

DMV issues? oil change/maintenance intervals? suspension? brakes? etc?

If its not an issue....I would be after an extra 450x to motard for street use. That way parts are interchangable, and I already knew how to work on it.

im all ears.

oh....and if I want to keep my Vstrom (which i do) then I should have around $4k TOTAL after my K5 blazer sells......just to keep the overall budget in mind.

school me on the pros and cons of converting a dirt bike (E model, etc) vs buying a factory SM.

DMV issues? oil change/maintenance intervals? suspension? brakes? etc?

If its not an issue....I would be after an extra 450x to motard for street use. That way parts are interchangable, and I already knew how to work on it.

im all ears.

oh....and if I want to keep my Vstrom (which i do) then I should have around $4k TOTAL after my K5 blazer sells......just to keep the overall budget in mind.

Not hard to convert to street use, and conversion kits to 17 in wheels are available. Total costs is around 1000-2000 depending on doing it cheap or turn key with new kits from various vendors. The "E" model has a higher compression motor, better front forks, a "better" carb (I think) and is lighter. It is not hard to find a converted E model if you are patient and much cheaper than converting to street legal or motard yourself.

You will almost always spend and lose more converting one yourself, but it is fun.

If you have 4K total, you can easily buy an E already converted, or find a 450X converted. The 450X is great. If you aren't worried about the maintenance and possible rebuilds, go for the CRF450X. The wide ratio transmission and higher oil capacity (I think that's correct anyway) make for a decent street tard. The DRZ E or SM will be more bulletproof however, just not as fast.

Some stuff to cosider...

Baja designs kit (nice, but can be done much cheaper)

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...927590&esvadt=999999-0-4011299-1&esvid=400071

Motard turn key conversion kits....

http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto...tm?searching=Y&sort=9&cat=1820&show=80&page=1

check www.supermotojunkie.com for used parts

A buddy of mine bought a front and rear wheel used for his CRF250X, used it a year, then bought a nice CRF450X already converted.

You may want to just grab the wheels first and see if you like it before pulling the trigger.

I plated my 03 drz400e for less than $150 in Baja Designs parts and bought some wheels from a member here for around $700 with tires. More fun than my old r6.

Make sure you transfer the title before plating cause I hear you don't have to pay taxes on off highway vehicles. Also, make sure it has a title.

Well I don't want to change a single thing on my dirt 450x. It's taken me over a year to dial it into a woods weapon. But I would really like to know how often do you need oil changes? Rebuilds? Etc. When mortarding a 450x in comparison to buying a drz400sm (a real sm).

The DRZ is a wheelie machine??

Not sure where the no wheelies thing came from. Certainly a capable stunt bike.

But it is no Husky 610.... Kinda like comparing a v6 camaro to a zo6 vette.
Not to make that comparison belittle the DRZ. Where as the Husq 610 is a Wicked machine... the DRZ is a very good machine.

Here is mine:

motard001.jpg

motard007.jpg

DRZ's aren't gonna smoke a crf450x, but they're reliable and cheap to buy and maintain. Id go with a pre 06 e model so you get the better carb.

The SM never had a FCR, only the Mikuni BSR36

Hmmm, doing lots of research AGAIN. I love the simplicity of buying a drz400sm and taking off....but am very intrigued with converting a 450x. A dirt and street pair in the garage would look pretty **** nice. I know the 3x3 mod, fcr carb, etc are all great mods for the drz...but HOW MUCH does it really wake it up?

But seriously, If anyone wants a day on a fully farkled vstrom 1000....i would love to get some seat time on a supermoto. Not sure how that works out insurance and all that other jazz...but its a thought.

Attachments

• vstrom big bend sign.jpg
    vstrom big bend sign.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 277
Not hard to convert to street use, and conversion kits to 17 in wheels are available. Total costs is around 1000-2000
Bit more than that, wheel set is about that alone unles you get a screaming used deal like I did.. :lol:
. The "E" model has a higher compression motor,
Only by a bit, and just the difference of a top end gasket set.

better front forks,
Same forks DRZ S and E 2003 and later.. only the 2000-2002 S have the damper rod Showas

a "better" carb (I think)
The S has the Mikuni BSR36 all years, as does a late model 2007 and later E. So if picking the bike with this in mind, get an early model E, of course then you have an old, used, likely very worn carb....

and is lighter.
Yes and know,, the S is heaver due to the parts oin it that make it street legal.. if you remove those parts, it weighs within ounces of the E. .. In street trim, either is going to weigh about the same. It's not a light bike,, period.

The biggest cost is the wheel set for sure, but things add up.

This is my conversion. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66995
Not yet done as Im still deployed.. But this is not my only, nor first DRZ (actually this is my first one, but I’ve had several others along the way to include an 07 SM.)

To the OP.. the DRZ is a great bike to ride, it’s not a great highway bike, you can ride it down the highway to get someplace, but that’s not where the fun factor is.

If you comparing a Husky 610 to the DRZ, and are looking for a like bike, skip the DRZ… It can be a money pit if you let it, trying to make it a bike it’s not.
To get a stock SM or S to a fun factor level, IMHO, it means at a minimum 434 BB kit from cylinder works, Hot cams, and an FCR39.

From there you can do all kind of things to it… it’s a blank canvas, huge aftermarket following, and can be built in many different directions.
It will always be a 50 ~60 hp bike at best, and weigh 290 lbs or more. So ride one, if it meets your desire at the 90%.. then it’s a good fit. If you ride one and want for a lot more, pass, you’ll go broke building it to be a KTM or Husky 610.

Last edited:
Is the E model the off road version??

If so.. keep in mind the off road DRZ400 does not have an inverted fork.

I had a DRZ400 before my DRZ400SM. Figured I would just buy the SM wheels and tires later on.... But then saw the cost. I sold the DRZ and picked up a DRZSM.

It is MUCH cheaper to do it the other way around... and you get a bike with inverted forks. You can add knobbies to the small rims... or add taller wheels and knobbies like the offroad model MUCH cheaper.

Hmmm, doing lots of research AGAIN. I love the simplicity of buying a drz400sm and taking off....but am very intrigued with converting a 450x. A dirt and street pair in the garage would look pretty **** nice. I know the 3x3 mod, fcr carb, etc are all great mods for the drz...but HOW MUCH does it really wake it up?

But seriously, If anyone wants a day on a fully farkled vstrom 1000....i would love to get some seat time on a supermoto. Not sure how that works out insurance and all that other jazz...but its a thought.

Man... if you lived up here in Fort Worth!!

I am thinking of grabing the Tag down near waco tomorrow. I would let you ride my DRZSM and ride your vstrom. But your the opposite direction.
I will end up hauling *** down there and back on the FJR.

Solo street rides are just so much nicer when you can cruise at 105 or better in complete comfort....:lol2:

Is the E model the off road version??
If so.. keep in mind the off road DRZ400 does not have an inverted fork.

I had a DRZ400 before my DRZ400SM. Figured I would just buy the SM wheels and tires later on.... But then saw the cost. I sold the DRZ and picked up a DRZSM.

It is MUCH cheaper to do it the other way around... and you get a bike with inverted forks. You can add knobbies to the small rims... or add taller wheels and knobbies like the offroad model MUCH cheaper.

Yes the E is the off road version.

With valving and correct springs, the conventional Show forks are every bit as good as the upside down shows found on the SM. The SM forks need springs at least for any rider weighing more than 160 or so, and valving if you want the best they can give you.. end state, with forks work..

A set of dirt wheels for the SM with a matching 310 rotor so you can swap is a little cheaper then SM wheels…

Id agree though, if the intent is street, get the SM, drop a FCR39, 434BB and cams and go ride the wheels off of it.

Why are you saying it needs susp changes for over 160?
I'm 5'11 about 195 and never felt like it needed changes to the inverted fork.

I can't see that unless your trying to moto cross it... but then who would moto cross a DRZ???

I do 'rodeo' style competitions, and do agree that susp stops are in order for that... but those susp stops are better for any bike running a slower, precision course, with many full chock turns.

outside of that the DRZ or DRZSM has all the susp travel most should need.... I only noticed about 1/2 inch difference in ground clearance between the two. the DRZ being taller than the SM. Other than that both had over a foot of susp travel. I could run thru most ditches and not have trouble at 195lbs.

Don't mean to sound hostile... just trying to learn how to improve my motard!

Why are you saying it needs susp changes for over 160?
I'm 5'11 about 195 and never felt like it needed changes to the inverted fork.

I can't see that unless your trying to moto cross it... but then who would moto cross a DRZ???

I do 'rodeo' style competitions, and do agree that susp stops are in order for that... but those susp stops are better for any bike running a slower, precision course, with many full chock turns.

outside of that the DRZ or DRZSM has all the susp travel most should need.... I only noticed about 1/2 difference in ground clearance between the two. the DRZ being taller than the SM. Other than that both had over a foot of susp travel. I could run thru most ditches and not have trouble at 195lbs.

Don't mean to sound hostile... just trying to learn how to improve my motard!

OK.. hey if your happy with how it rides, that's all that matters :giveup:

I think you most would be much happier with a suspension that was set up for their weight, riding style, and terrain.. But there are folks that are happy riding 1978 DT125's. so who am I to say what right is :thumb:

At the end of the day, the springs on the DRZ are suited for a 160lb rider give or take... the valving is light on compression.

Im not a Race Tech Fan boy, but something the owner of RT said has always struck me as true. ""The best you've ridden is the best you know."
- Paul Thede"

:-D

Have one. LOVE it.

My SM has seen two valve adjustments in 16K miles. Clearances were not too far off at the second, the first was before my ownership. Oil changes every 1500-2000 based on usage (commuting, trackdays) and elapsed time.

I love the thing.

But it is no Husky 610.... Kinda like comparing a v6 camaro to a zo6 vette.
Not to make that comparison belittle the DRZ. Where as the Husq 610 is a Wicked machine... the DRZ is a very good machine.

Having ridden both to 70% or so, I'd say the difference isn't that drastic. Perhaps a better comparison is the Honda S2000 to the early 1.6 Miata. The S2000/Husky is the better machine on paper, very "intense"... but the DRZ/Miata is so much more fun than anything with its humble engineering has any right to be. Maybe I should've said Z3 3.0 (non-M) roadster since the Husky is European? Maybe CRF:DRZ::S2000:Miata.

Maybe this is all Greek to a bunch of non-car-types? :mrgreen:

I gotcha. I dont want to act like Im gonna NEED a super powered bike. I do find myself buying liter bikes, because I enjoy power....but im not the type to act like I NEED it.

I really need to know how much difference you can make to bump up the power to the DRZ. I like everything about it, I just want to be sure that down the road, if its just not giving me enough, I have options that will actually do anything.

I think our local husky dealer is no more, so thats a big factor.

Around town commuting will be a blast. Highway commutes will be a pain. Mind you it is a 400 single. So it will be limited somewhat. Would I own one??? Heck yeah!!!

Yeah, I dont doubt they are fun....but I have to give up my K5 to own one, so I just want to be sure its gonna be what i want.

My last ride set some pretty high standards....I dont expect power to be anything close. Just sayin...

Attachments

• Easter Ride FZ1.jpg
    Easter Ride FZ1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 290
Back