TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #261
shipman

Re: $5.00 per gallon gas strategy

Yeah, and in the place of all those OG giants we now have the Yukon, Expedition, H2...
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
"Get yourself a motorcycle- any motorcycle. Two wheels and an engine. And have fun." - Jamie Robinson
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #262
CB700SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
Yeah, and in the place of all those OG giants we now have the Yukon, Expedition, H2...
The Yukon is a cut-down Suburban (go look, it's shorter!), the Expedition is a replacement for the Bronco and the H2 is a Yukon with a body kit. And it's long out of production - last H2 was made in 2009 and they killed the brand entirely two years ago this May.

If your objective was to say we'd replaced them with bigger vehicles... not so much. :P
Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #263
YoDoc

Ever seen an Expedition EL? HUGE!

2007 Sportster

Go Army!
YoDoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #264
CB700SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDoc View Post
Ever seen an Expedition EL? HUGE!
Yup. But the EL stands for "Extended Length" and was created to more or less match the Suburban. Which is, surprise, still larger.

Attempts to make an SUV larger than the Suburban failed. Remember the Excursion? It was a commercial failure, and few were sold outside Texas - mostly because they do not fit in garages. They didn't sell all that many here, for that matter.

Bottom line is that the Suburban is still about as big as it gets and the supermajority of the "monster" SUVs running around are smaller than the Suburban, despite peoples' perceptions to the contrary.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #265
YoDoc

I used to have an Expedition. Loved it. When I was clearing Ft. Bragg, I had just bought it. I parked way out in the middle of nowhere in the PLot. When I came out from my appt, there was an Excursion parked next to me, backing out of a spot. I am not exaggerating at all when I say that the man's wife was using military hand signals to ground guide him out of the spot...

2007 Sportster

Go Army!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #266
CB700SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDoc View Post
I used to have an Expedition. Loved it. When I was clearing Ft. Bragg, I had just bought it. I parked way out in the middle of nowhere in the PLot. When I came out from my appt, there was an Excursion parked next to me, backing out of a spot. I am not exaggerating at all when I say that the man's wife was using military hand signals to ground guide him out of the spot...
Not surprising, but you've just touched on part of why it was a failure in the market.

Neat that she knew how to ground guide if she wasn't military.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #267
tshelfer

Tim: i was not refering about you in my rant[it was a quote from another poster]. Please forgive. And YoDoc,
i also appreciate your understanding along with Tim!
Now please send some great riding weather my way!

No sweat and no offense taken, Wally. Actually, I just took it as a statement of limitation of vehicles, nothing more. By the way, it's 45 and rainy here today. You don't want what we have at the moment.

and the H2 is a Yukon with a body kit. .....with lower gas mileage, less passenger space, and less luggage space - at least according to Edmunds. Not much to recommend it unless you thrive on the Urban Assault look. The Excursion is, I believe, the length of an F250 longbed supercab. My sister-in-law has one (F250). It takes two of us to get it into her garage, with less than 3" each front and back remaining. Why does she have an F250? My dad gave it to her. It pulls her Coleman trailer nicely, and actually with the diesel engine, she gets better mileage than I do with my Grand.
Preach the gospel. And if necessary, use words - Francis of Assisi
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #268
shipman

Speaking of Urban Assault Vehicles (tm), what's up with police vehicles these days? Those big mid-cities SUV's look almost as if they should have anti-aircraft guns mounted on the roof!
"The secret to happiness is realistic, modest expectations" - Barry Schwartz
"Get yourself a motorcycle- any motorcycle. Two wheels and an engine. And have fun." - Jamie Robinson
shipman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #269
YoDoc

I know when I've crossed into Bedford when I see those. Here in Euless we're still using ten year old SUV's that just look like SUV's. And cars. It seems like we're the last of the HEB to still use Crown Vics...

2007 Sportster

Go Army!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #270
CB700SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
Why does she have an F250? My dad gave it to her. It pulls her Coleman trailer nicely, and actually with the diesel engine, she gets better mileage than I do with my Grand.
The diesel engine is one reason why I got an F350 instead of an F150 this time by. Bigger truck (F150s of the era did not come in crew cab), more capable, immensely stronger and more durable drivetrain/suspension - plus actually better fuel economy. Pretty much a no-brainer if you throw in multiple-fuel capability.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #271
Ben Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipman View Post
I'm gonna road trip the **** out of my 250... As much as my time schedule allows, anyway! (refer to "Minimalist Touring Thread" on ADV... ) It's really all about one's point of reference. I'm coming off of a 150cc scooter and used to commute in a 71 VW Beetle that would barely do 60mph.

I don't find the TU250 to be too bad on the freeway. It starts running out of breath at around the same point that the wind starts making things uncomfortable. I'm 6'2", 180lbs so YMMV...
If a 250 doesn't go fast enough, then the road is too darn straight.

Seriously, I'm going back to a smaller, lighter, better mpg motorcycle if I ever get rid of the ZRX. Big is way over-rated. These big heavy gas guzzling mega cruisers sort of miss the whole point of a motorcycle.....a light weight, easy to manuver and park, fuel efficient alternative to a car.
Small motorcycles are an absolute blast to ride.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #272
YoDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Eberle View Post
If a 250 doesn't go fast enough, then the road is too darn straight.

Seriously, I'm going back to a smaller, lighter, better mpg motorcycle if I ever get rid of the ZRX. Big is way over-rated. These big heavy gas guzzling mega cruisers sort of miss the whole point of a motorcycle.....a light weight, easy to manuver and park, fuel efficient alternative to a car.
Small motorcycles are an absolute blast to ride.
They aren't as comfy, though. Which is why I ride a mid-weight cruiser, and drive a mid-weight car.

It's funny to me how many people bash cruisers, or bash sport bikes, but if you look at the cars they like, well, let's just say that their preferences are a bit skewed.

For instance, I like Corvettes. I also like the new ZX14. I'm never going to own either, because I like them from a distance. I'd love to drive one, but only once or twice. The ones I get a kick out of owning and driving every day are big old land boats. That goes for cars and bikes both. If I could own any two cars and any two motorcycles, I'd have a 1964 Lincoln Continental Convertible, a 1968 Oldsmobile 442, a 1959 Harley all touring rigged out, and a power cruiser along the lines of a V-Rod or M109R or V-Max.

Now, I would definitely take anything out there for a spin or three, but everybody likes different stuff. I'd no more ride a 250 cruiser everyday than I would drive an old Ford Fiesta everyday. Both vehicles do what they do very nicely, it's just not what I want to do.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, mega billet barges have their place in the biker world, just like 65 Caddy's.

2007 Sportster

Go Army!
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #273
Buffalo

Hey now, don't knock the Ford Fiesta, they were fun little cars. Just make sure you carry a spare electronic ignition module around with you if you own one.

07 Burgman 650 Exec
06 Burgman 400S
Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #274
bmcdonau

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB700SC View Post
Not surprising, but you've just touched on part of why it was a failure in the market.

Neat that she knew how to ground guide if she wasn't military.
The excursion was an excellemt tow vehicle, the only normal SUV with a diesel.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #275
SL350
Forum Supporter

TU250 is infinitely more road worthy than a mid 60s Honda 305. Think about Pirsig and Zen.
SL350 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #276
Ben Eberle

Engine size does not necessarily equal comfort. My ZRX1200 needed help from Corbin in order to be bearable for more than a one hour ride, even though it seemed really comfortable in showroom first impressions.
On the other hand, I could ride my old '74 Honda CB550 all day long. A Honda 175 I owned was also reasonably comfortable. A '75 Kawasaki KZ400 became much more comfortable once I got rid of the stock "ape hangers" and put nearly straight low bars on it. My old 1968 BSA 250 Starfire was very comfortable on long rides, if only it had been reliable enough for long rides.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:50 PM   #277
STman

Quote:
Engine size does not necessarily equal comfort. My ZRX1200 needed help from Corbin in order to be bearable for more than a one hour ride, even though it seemed really comfortable in showroom first impressions.
On the other hand, I could ride my old '74 Honda CB550 all day long. A Honda 175 I owned was also reasonably comfortable. A '75 Kawasaki KZ400 became much more comfortable once I got rid of the stock "ape hangers" and put nearly straight low bars on it. My old 1968 BSA 250 Starfire was very comfortable on long rides, if only it had been reliable enough for long rides.
You're bringing back memories. My very first motorcycle was a 76 KZ400. I loved that bike, wish I had kept it. I do actually prefer those flat seats because depending on your stature you could slide front to back until you found the comfy spot. The new stadium seating keeps you locked in. I'm not even that tall and my strom seat keeps me from sliding back where I could be a bit more comfortable.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 AM   #278
Ben Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by STman View Post
You're bringing back memories. My very first motorcycle was a 76 KZ400. I loved that bike, wish I had kept it. I do actually prefer those flat seats because depending on your stature you could slide front to back until you found the comfy spot. The new stadium seating keeps you locked in. I'm not even that tall and my strom seat keeps me from sliding back where I could be a bit more comfortable.

Yea, I really miss the pure practicallity of the old school standards. If you want an old school standard today, your choices are the Triumph Bonneville and the TU250 and......well that's about it.
Unfortunately, they have gone out of style and the motorcycle world is poorer because of it.
350 to 500 cc is enough, even on the freeways of Dallas. With huge mega-motorcycles, you find yourself avoiding dirt roads, scenic one laners with low water crossings etc.

The rest of the world will little note nor long remember who owned the biggest, fastest, most customized motorcycle. Without looking, can you name the make and model of cars your neighbors drive? I can't either.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM   #279
YoDoc

Quote:
Without looking, can you name the make and model of cars your neighbors drive? I can't either.
Actually, I can, but that's a whole 'nother thing... :p

2007 Sportster

Go Army!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #280
xcgates

Quote:
350 to 500 cc is enough, even on the freeways of Dallas. With huge mega-motorcycles, you find yourself avoiding dirt roads, scenic one laners with low water crossings etc.

The rest of the world will little note nor long remember who owned the biggest, fastest, most customized motorcycle. Without looking, can you name the make and model of cars your neighbors drive? I can't either.
99% of my time is spent in/around San Antonio, on one highway or another. Having a liter bike with plenty of oomph is the perfect bike for that 99% if riding. It can even carry large heavy stuff like racks from Lowes, and lawnmowers.

Now, that 1% of the time I'm following Rod down some god-forsaken goat path, I wouldn't mind a smaller, lighter bike.

"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl, when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you."
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote