• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DRZ VS 650L

BAH

Reaction score
I picked a DR650 a few months ago to start doing some DS riding with some friends. After a few months went by I sold it cause no one else had picked anything up to ride. Put the money into my crf450 that I race XC with. Now they are going to try and do it for real this time. I enjoyed the DR but I was thinking about looking at the DRZ400.

We want to gear up and do trips like the TAT and CDR. I really dont enjoy riding on the street so I will try my best to keep to as much dirt as I can. So last night we were all having a few drinks together and I started thinking about the 650L.

I just wanted to get some of you guys thoughts on this. drz vs 650l

GO!

If your main use will be the TAT and CDR type rides then I would try to stick with the same bike others in your group will have. Really helps to share parts, tools and common knowledge for identical bikes.

_

They really are quite similar. The DRZ will get better fuel mileage. Both need a larger gas tank for extended touring. DRZ likes higher revs while the XRL does well grunting along in low rpms. DRZ is water cooled vs. air cooled for the XRL. With standards mods they both provide good power. DRZ after 2002 has suspension as good or better than the XRL. I rode both before settling on the DRZs. Though the weight is pretty close, within 20 lbs IIRC, the DRZ felt much lighter and is a little smaller. :shrug: I am 6'2", 240 lbs and the DRZ is fine with bar risers. I would have had to get them for the XRL too. Both have great aftermarket parts available and OEM parts at dealers. You will hear probably the same story from the XRL guys.

I will try to help, I own a 650L and a friend of mine has a 2011 DRZ which I have rode on the HWY and off road, to me the DRZ steers much lighter than the XR which makes the whole bike feel lighter, the DRZ’s seat is more narrow and gives you more of a dirt bike feel, handles well off road and handles HWY speeds just as good as the XR.

The XR surprisingly for its weight handles really well off road.

Now for performance, after re-jetting and opening up the air box on the DRZ I must say it really runs strong with great throttle response, that’s where I feel the XR is lacking a bit it has the low end grunt but just don’t seem to get in no hurry to put the ponies to the ground (I’m speaking only of how my XR run’s others my have different results) Both are great dual sport bikes!
Have you thought about plating a 600r or a 650r….The down fall is kick start but you gain off road handling and have power to spare.

Back