TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2012, 04:01 PM   #161
Jack Giesecke

Re: What To Do? A KLR Quandary.

It's relevant to consider personal economics with the "fix up the KLR vs buy a 15K replacement motorcycle" theme, though. The economics of it all keeps me away from BMW or KTM even if I thought it was that much better a motorcycle for what I want the bike for. Economics does play a role for some of us.

I wasted a lot of money on racing over the years. Was it worth it? I'm still trying to figure THAT out, but I did have fun and met a lot of fine people I'm proud to call friends, not that I see 'em anymore since I haven't been to the track in a few years, but hey, it was fun. Whatever hangs your hooter, 'tis your money. I mean not many people would call dumping 2500 bucks into an XR100 motor very wise. I spent lots of cash in racing. Had to have the hardware since the software was limited.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #162
Moekazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Giesecke View Post
It's relevant to consider personal economics with the "fix up the KLR vs buy a 15K replacement motorcycle" theme, though.
Ya, but it's irrelevant when comparing two different classes of motorcycle with numbers pulled from someone's behind.

Moekazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #163
mmaiden

Why "never consider" trailering? It's the best of both worlds. Weather turns bad? Break your bike a long way from home? Hotter than Hades or colder than a witch's tit, with miles to cover getting to where you want to ride or to get home? Just admit it. SOMETIMES (only sometimes) it is better to be behind the wheel of that F-150 or Silverado. Yes. I said it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #164
philipbarrett
Forum Supporter

I know, I know...but trailering means I can answer the phone and e-mails and texts. Back to that rotton boss.
philipbarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #165
bluedogok

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
I know, I know...but trailering means I can answer the phone and e-mails and texts. Back to that rotton boss.
You don't have to answer those....in many areas your phone may not work
bluedogok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #166
DFW_Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipbarrett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
You don't have to answer those....in many areas your phone may not work
EXACTLY. Most phones (okay ALL phones) have a power button if those using them have the will power to actually use them. I do it all the time, it's not that hard really. I ride because it's fun. I don't ride when it isn't fun. Riding back 600 miles after a crash doesn't sound like fun so I don't want to leave myself that as an only option. So I just turn my phone off and trailer.

All this being said, this is a complete lie. I don't actually turn my phone off when I travel. I like cruising in the truck while streaming Pandora so I usually do that.

We'll never know our full potential unless we push ourselves to find it. It's this self discovery that inevitably takes us to the wildest places on Earth.
DFW_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #167
Jack Giesecke

I ran into a problem with my KLR recently. It intermittently wouldn't start, would have to jump the relay. Next stop started fine. Didn't think TOO much of it, figured maybe the button or the relay were getting corroded. Well, then, I put rear brake pads on it the other day and fired it up to test them, friggin' lights weren't working. Pulled the seat off to get at the fuse box, fuses corroded, got hot enough to melt the cheesy OEM fuse box.

Went to Radio Shack, or "The Shack", whatever they're calling it now and got two spade type inline fuse holders of rubber with caps that claim to be "water proof" and cut out the old, soldered in the new and insulated. Now, it's fixed. After all this, I find out on another board that this happens to be yet another KLR "upgrade" that is common. Hmm, thought I was "thinkin' out of the box", guess not.

Anyway, there's a lot of these "common upgrades" with the KLR it seems. The cheap ones and the dohickey, well, they're easy and in many cases necessary eventually. Still, the KLR does what I wanted it to do. I am NOT the type to EVER own a BMW unless I win the lotto or find a used one in good shape for $1700.... YMMV

In the words of one of my racing buddies when I told him his suspension sucked, "I just ride the thing and don't worry about it". It was unreal fast, too, not sure how he did it with that pogo stick of a shock. Dennie, if you read this, this was Bill Cotton. But, that's my attitude with all this "miles better suspension" stuff vs the BMW. I mean, I ain't even RACING this thing, why should I care? I guess I learned a little from Bill. I always listen to the fast guys.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #168
Drumboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Giesecke View Post
I ran into a problem with my KLR recently. It intermittently wouldn't start, would have to jump the relay. Next stop started fine. Didn't think TOO much of it, figured maybe the button or the relay were getting corroded. Well, then, I put rear brake pads on it the other day and fired it up to test them, friggin' lights weren't working. Pulled the seat off to get at the fuse box, fuses corroded, got hot enough to melt the cheesy OEM fuse box.

Went to Radio Shack, or "The Shack", whatever they're calling it now and got two spade type inline fuse holders of rubber with caps that claim to be "water proof" and cut out the old, soldered in the new and insulated. Now, it's fixed. After all this, I find out on another board that this happens to be yet another KLR "upgrade" that is common. Hmm, thought I was "thinkin' out of the box", guess not.

Anyway, there's a lot of these "common upgrades" with the KLR it seems. The cheap ones and the dohickey, well, they're easy and in many cases necessary eventually. Still, the KLR does what I wanted it to do. I am NOT the type to EVER own a BMW unless I win the lotto or find a used one in good shape for $1700.... YMMV
Wow. Booger did something similar to that when she was mine a few times when the kickstand bypass wires weren't properly crimped. I would have to tap on the starter relay cover to get her to fire up but I think I fixed that.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #169
Jack Giesecke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy View Post
Wow. Booger did something similar to that when she was mine a few times when the kickstand bypass wires weren't properly crimped. I would have to tap on the starter relay cover to get her to fire up but I think I fixed that.
Well, if it does that again, I'll mess with the kick stand switch, but I think it's fixed, now. That fuse box was toast. Weren't much to fix it and it's way better than new, now.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #170
Jack Giesecke

Ya know, Drum, I was thinkin', if you tapped on the relay and it worked, probably wasn't anything to do with the stand interlock. It was probably the crusty fuse, not getting enough current to the relay. Tapping on it allowed it to move up and contact with a weaker current. If it were the interlock not contacting or getting current to the relay, seems like tapping on the relay wouldn't do squat because it wouldn't be getting ANY current.

Just hit me thinkin' about it. Anyway, it hasn't given me a problem since I did the spade type fuse connectors, situation solved.