• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

anyone know if this could work?

bear

Reaction score
I am looking at a pneumatic tire changer and electric wheel balance. They are through Harbor Freight. Could they work with motorcycle tires? I pretty sure the tire changer would work but I am not sure about the electric balancer.

:tab They should work, it is what many bike shops use. The balancer should have adapters that let you put the tires on the shaft. It really isn't worth the $$ in my opinion. I can get a tire balanced in a few minutes using a static balance stand (a bar with bearings on each end). It takes very little practice to get proficient at it. The same is true for the pnuematic changer. If I changed tires all day, then it would be a big deal. But for the occasional change on my bike or someone else's I would have a hard time really justifying the cost compared to the effort it would save me. That said, if money is not an issue, go for it ;-)

Tourmeister said:
I can get a tire balanced in a few minutes using a static balance stand (a bar with bearings on each end). It takes very little practice to get proficient at it.

...provided there is no beverage container leaning against the tire :haha:

This doesn't work with SSSA's but I just put the bike's axle on two jack stands and use the wheel bearings for the spinnin'. Gets you real close to that other static balancer for no money spent on a tool that only gets used a couple times a year (in my case anyway)...

There are three of us here that use my uncles shop. Between us their ar six or seven bikes so we all went in on a No-mar tirechanger. I've only seen it used and it looks pretty good. I need to order some tires so I can test it out.
http://www.nomartirechanger.com

That no mar is pretty neat. Well I am thinking of starting a tire changing biz out at my place as a side business. If I got the pneumatic machines and electric balancer I could also do cars, priority would be bikes. I think I could get enough business to pay the machines off in a year and with my savings alone in savings probably 3years. I live far enough away from the city that I could get people to come in and get their tires done. Thanks for the input, I have been trying to call the central machinery tech number to no avail.:scott:

:tab Ahhh... now that changes the equation! If you are going to make a side business of it, then the pnuematic stuff makes sense! Would you be able to compete with places like Discount Tire on price for car/truck tires? Speed will be everything if you charge a non hourly rate. So those machines would really help.

I will change car and truck tires for people but I will focus on bikes. Make an appointment drop it off watch some movies while you wait and then you off. I would also be open later, since I have a day job and weekends. Like I said I live over an hour away from a good dealership so I know I can get enough business to pay for the machines. I run through 2 sets per a bike mininum so it will save me at least $240.00 a year, I know a lot of people who ride out here who would love the convience. I wouldn't house an inventory to begin with be order based.

Back