• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Husqvarna Purchase?

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Tippit
I have convinced myself that I need a street legal motorcycle that I can take on class 3 or 4 roads and not worry about the bike being up to the task. I currently have a BMW R1200 GS. It is a great motorcycle but off road it has its limits. I am seriously considering purchasing a 2012 Husqvarna TE series motorcycle. Either the 310, 450 or 510. I am 6'2" and 210 so I am also debating the engine size. I started out thinking that I would get the 310 but I am now leaning towards the 510. Does anyone here have a Husqvarna or have ridden one recently? If so, I would love to get some feedback.

I would love to own the 310. It is like a 250 with bite and is supposed to just about as perfect as a high performance DS bike you can own. Dirt Bike sure raves over it

I would love to own the 310. It is like a 250 with bite and is supposed to just about as perfect as a high performance DS bike you can own. Dirt Bike sure raves over it

Except the fact that it is geared with a very tight transmission. It is straining at 50mph. Cycle world just did a comparison and the KTM 350exc was the winner.

With your size 510 is the way to go.

I'm trying to find the DB review. I think I recall them critizing the 6-speed tranny as being narrow. I think I also recall them saying that Husky provides different sprockets. And one set lowered the gearing to the point where 1st was unusable and the bike was screaming at 55mph. I'll try and find it. The 350EXC is a great bike but they carry sticker shock.

Except the fact that it is geared with a very tight transmission. It is straining at 50mph. Cycle world just did a comparison and the KTM 350exc was the winner.

With your size 510 is the way to go.

Thanks for your comments. I am sure leaning towards the TE 510. I have a KTM 520 EXC and an XR 400 (not street legal) so riding something of that displacement off road will be familiar.
I also want a bike that can handle highway speeds. Riding in Texas, more often than not, there is a lot of pavement between the dirt. The dealer in Austin mentioned that the 510 would handle pavement better than the 310.
The KTM 500 EXC is another excellent option but I have had this burning desire to own a Husky since I watched On Any Sunday when I was a kid.

Instead of letting that nice GS gather dust I suggest you let me house it while you ride the Husky.

Wouldn't the 510 be very similar to the KTM you already have?

I hear you about the Huskies though, 70's Huskies were gorgeous although they'd probably scare the **** out of me when on the pipe.

Oh, and hello from Edinburg. :wave:

Just purchased at TE 630, awesome bike.

Last edited:
I have been thinking along same lines, If only yamaha would build a wr3**r-wr4**r something with a little more... :eek2:

I hear you about the Huskies though, 70's Huskies were gorgeous although they'd probably scare the **** out of me when on the pipe.

I had a 1976 Husky CR250. It was a great motorcycle.

The Huaky 510 would be similar to the KTM 520 but the KTM isn't street legal. Glad to here we are neighbors. PM me if you want to go ride sometime. I used to ride on the river all of the time.

I have been thinking along same lines, If only yamaha would build a wr3**r-wr4**r something with a little more... :eek2:

They used to build a 426 if I recall. I agree and can't understand why they wouldn't go after the market. I am 100% positive that their price would be less than KTM or Husqvarna.

Instead of letting that nice GS gather dust I suggest you let me house it while you ride the Husky.

Hi Phillip, thank you for your concern and kind offer. However, I promise that I will not let the GS feel ignored.

Just sold a WR 250R and now have the TE630. To each his own. Both are fine bikes. But if my Wr was was a 350 or 450 I would not be posting.

Last edited:
Just sold a WR 250R and now have the TE630. To each his own. Both are fine bikes. But if my Wr was was a 350 or 450 I would not be posting.

Now I know who bought Roger's bike. Welcome.

johnlt3 check out CafeHusky for opinions and reviews on the current Husky TE's. Lots of good info there.

_

I rally liked my old Huskys back in the day. I have been thinking I need to locate one for me some point in the near future. I have been trying to make my KLR more trailable but it high centers on the rock ledges on my place:sun:

I had a Yamaha IT 490 back in the days, always wanted a Husky. The TE 630 a very cool ride.

Back