• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chaparal Trail 1-14-06

Wasabi

Reaction score
Here are some pics from the Chaparal trail ride Backspinn (Chris) lead last week. Had a great time and met a lot of real good people. And it is alway interesting to me that no two bikes are just alike. There were 10 KLRs and 1 Yamaha TTR250 that showed up. Hopefully someone that came on the ride with some real camera skills can add to this thread. Most of the riders were KLR650.net members but I have not seen a trip report about the ride on the site yet.

We left Merit around 9 and and the weather was perfect. We stopped at almost every bridge and there were several. Most riders stopped to inspect the bridge and decide if he wanted to go over the bridge or under it.

53464741-M.jpg

53464747-M.jpg

Used boot models :-P
53464751-M.jpg

Waiting for the bridge inspector's OK

53464760-M.jpg

Some taking the low road.
53464776-M.jpg

I wish I had a video to capture the amazing tip over recovery the Red KLR rider performed on this uphill left hand turn. :clap:

53464779-M.jpg

53464783-M.jpg

Some folks took the high road.
53464854-M.jpg

We all stopped to eat in Ladonia, then headed back to Merit
53464822-M.jpg

53464827-M.jpg

Return ride pics
53464834-M.jpg

53464807-M.jpg

53464840-M.jpg

53464852-M.jpg

53464872-M.jpg

53464865-M.jpg

53464870-M.jpg

I am always amazed at the engineering innovation I see at almost every biker gathering. Here is one example of a unique crash bar, light bar and luggage rack. Great job Curtis.

53464876-M.jpg

53464879-M.jpg

53464739-M.jpg

Bill

Last edited:
:tab Looks like a long straight ride except for the parts where you go around the bridges. That looked like fun! Is the KLR with the bars the one you were telling me about at the maintenance day? I like those. Also, did he say anything about an upgraded stator? Wonder how much power those lights draw? I would be concerned about the imapct on the signals in a tipover. Might be good if they were mounted on top of that bracket.

There's some video links for this ride on klr650.net, located in the North Texas forum. They were fun to watch!

Nice report and pictures. :rider:

a couple of questions:

WHERE exactly is this trail?

can it be done on an 1150GS?

thanks

Hi Barnett

I have only riden the trail once. So I am not the most experienced.

The trail I rode was between Merit and Pecan Gap

54104065-M.jpg

GPS track here

http://busafied.com/garminmaps/

The trail was dry to the point that there were seveal sections with large cracks. I am told when it's wet it can be a real difficult to ride.

I saw no reason a GS could not do the trail on the day I went.

Check the KLR650.net , North Texas foum for more info and pics.

Hope this is helpful

Bill

Bill

thank you much! i guess my last question is, once in Merit, given that i don't have a GPS, how do i find the trail?

ken

Hi Ken

Your best source of info is the KLR650.net folks. They a great bunch of riders and if you ask the question the answer will come. I can get you on the trail at Merit but after that I would need to follow another biker or possibly a GPS to find the different connections that bypass the towns and deadends.

Merit is a one store town. Across the street from the store you will see a field with some storage bins and old vehicles. That is where the trail starts in Merit

Picture of store side of road
http://busafied.com/klrtrip1142006/meritstorehr.jpg

I would suggest that you play if safe and go with another rider.

Ride safe

Bill

Does anyone have a good map of it or a link where I can download to my Garmin Etrex Legend(GPS):mrgreen:

get the atlas called "the roads of texas" most of it is shown on page 42 as the topeka- santa fe and atchinson RR some sections are closed off and you have to find your way around on the country roads BE CAREFUL on the bridges walk them first some of them are in very bad shape. I would show you around out there but my new DS wont be here till the end of May

Back