• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

::: PROJECT : Honda CX650 Café Racer - Made in Vietnam

Reaction score
Hey, I also have a CX650 Cafe project.
It's now in progress.....
Hello Viethorse, post up some pics - other inquiring cx minds want to see it.

Well, posted somewhere else.
However, my pleasure to re-post in here.
Hopefully my Texas trip online and offline could make me my CX becomes better.

Yeah, as said - And allow me to copy and paste some first parts of the progress report to here.

------------

A Cafe racer version of CX 650 to be built in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
First, I have to say that the modification is not done by myself as I don't have a big enough workshop.
A motorcycle workshop helps me to do the physical works.

This would be not a everyday update thread, so, let's take it easy by starting with a Vietnamese coffee:

_DSC1477-2.jpg

Feb 2012, after some calls to a guy in Westminster California, I have decided to take his 1983 Honda CX650 back to Vietnam for a Café project.
I gotta do that because there are very few of Honda CX here. I have heard about some GL400, I have seen only two CX400 by my eyes and never seen a single CX650.

This photo was taken by the seller in Feb 2012:
IMG_0219-1.jpg

Due to some unforeseen reasons, the bike was delivered to me in Ho Chi Minh City in July 2012. Dang slow US boat :D.
First met the bike, let's take a round view:

DSC00702.jpg

DSC00709.jpg

DSC00708.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

10xxx miles on the clock:
DSC00712.jpg

I have ridden the bike for about 5km and feel really great. After some months but just two three time press the Ignition button, it starts.
Really smooth and powerful bike. Much better than what I though.

During the waiting time to the boat to arrive, I have also bought a set of front forks from a US friend in Maryland:
_DSC1969-1.jpg

Right, by air is faster than by boat! The upside down front forks arrive much earlier than the bike.

I have also been walking around the forums to find the ideas for my project.

I have put up the bike and my ideas to see how the thing would look like afterward:

Design.jpg

Options and options.... create... edit.... delete... create....
Design2.jpg

A quick visit and discussion with the shop in a morning.

Weather was so good for anything related to motorcycle:
DSC00754.jpg

First time ever I can use my camera for some close-up look to my bike - who was born in 1983:
DSC00735.jpg

She has not so small heart:
DSC00724.jpg

DSC00743.jpg

DSC00719.jpg

Her name:
DSC00727.jpg

5 gears:
DSC00726.jpg

At the shop for around 2hrs discussing on how to make the dual front discs instead of original single disc.
After two days, they have completed the mounting with perfect air-gap from the wheel to both front forks, and also the two break calipers.

Right disc:
DSC00952.jpg

Left disc:
DSC00961.jpg

There are two shim plates have been inserted into both side of the "rim base" (well, I am not sure if I am using incorrect word!!??).

Because of the differences between two sides of the rim, so two plates have difference thickness. That was a difficult part for getting a correct measurement. Otherwise, the two discs could not fit with the two break calipers.

We used long bolts to mount the break disc and the shim plate to the "rim base".

DSC00953.jpg

So, here is how the front end looks like:
DSC00950.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

The wheel looks bigger than with the single disc, right??
DSC00957.jpg

Some times people are just stunned into silence. Good luck with the build. Looking good so far.

Thanks for posting, I like the project, I think it's great when you build the bike yourself, but not everyone has the time, tools or skills so I love the project for what it is, not who did the work.. Can't wait to see it progress, do like the black and white photos with the gold forks!! Nice effect.. :clap:

Gary

Congrats on a great project! I think yours will make a total of 3 GL/CX650 cafes on earth. I "finished" mine about a year ago. The other one is somewhere in Western Europe.

If you haven't found it already, this forum is INCREDIBLY helpful. I haven't been on it in a while. For all I know, you've already got a thread going.

http://cx500forum.com/

I think you'll end up with a better handling bike that I did - the new forks help of course, but the dual coil-overs in back with a a higher ride height will help. I think mine sits too low in back and I've got my new Hagon mono-shock adjusted all the way to the top, so to speak.

Keep the picks coming!

Thanks guys for the nice words.
Yes, Jeffro93, I have a thread there for this Project. The guys there are really nice and they are all dirty hands with their bikes. I even got some stuff for my bike from that forum member. Btw, where I can find your built thread?

Nice! Lots of parts on that bike are identical to the '82 Magna 750 I'm finishing restoring for a client...

404073913.jpg

Oh, it's been for a while.....

-----

I tried to make a comparison btw mine and some others'. I borrowed the dual headlights:

Frontends-1.jpg

Mine looks not so good! :trust:

This rearshock looks a bit old:
DSC00728.jpg

So that why I bought a Ducati 1198 OEM monoshock to replace - this monoshock is almost new, just on the bike for some hundred miles:
Ducati1198Monoshock.jpg

This is how I make the trial fit:
_DSC0697.jpg

Side view:
_DSC0696.jpg

We will make a support from the bottom frame, just about 2-3 inch height. All the rear frame will be chopped off:
_DSC0695.jpg

Overview of the rear shock design would be like this:
Design-2.jpg

I may need a little frame (diagonal brace) to support the rear seat. That's not an issue, as soon as I leave a room for the air filters.

Mocked up the rear monoshock (from Ducati 1198) to my CX:
DSC05648.jpg

Well, got some issues here. The shock a bit long; its reservoir cylinder is fixed and it could not be turned the other way round to the the horizontal position. So... that's the only way and the best way to fix the shock. That's how we fix the shock to test the shock traveling.
Got the bike straight, held the rear frame and pushed it hard, I can notice the gap (distance) from the bottom of monoshock to the rear tire almost unchanged, just some mm variation,

DSC05653.jpg

After fixing the position for two ends of the shock, we will make a sketch for the shock support frame, there would be some options to consider.
The whole rear frame will be chopped off. A new frame - looks like the CBR rear frame is my choice to make.

In other hand, the 1mm steel plate to make the front mud guard:

DSC05656.jpg

Gas tank removed and the new tank will be built very soon:
DSC05659.jpg

Following with previous posts, bike leveling almost done, front forks already fixed, rear monoshock also fitted with some dummy braces and plates.
Last week, they was struggling with the gas tank. It 's quite a hard job due to my difficult requirement.
However, today, they have done almost 2/3 of the tank job:

DSC_01712.jpg

Right side view:

DSC_01592.jpg

Left side view:

DSC_01612.jpg

And the tank bottom would be done by next couples of day, then the tank cap and nozzle:

DSC_01622.jpg

Front mud guard has been done:

DSC_01722.jpg

Chopped of the rear frame to make a new rear frame - idea of a sport bike rear frame:

DSC_01662.jpg

Those two diagonal braces toward the rear will be chopped off:

DSC_01642.jpg

I have a try to get the right place of foot pegs, gear and brake pedals:

DSC_01552.jpg

The gas tank supposed to be slopped to the front a bit more:

DSC_01562.jpg

All the above posts are about things I 've done in 2012.
And now, it's 2013 time, let's see something different:

The rear monoshock, yeah, the most difficult part has been done, like this:
DSC_0239_zps0bf91fb5.jpg

Holes are made on the steel plates to make it looks lighter:
DSC_0251_zps22c26344.jpg

How it looks?
DSC_0241_zps5327bb63.jpg

The seat with seat hump is also made:
DSC_0243_zpsa358fc8f.jpg

The bike now has the Ducati look
icon10.gif
:
DSC_0254_zps1e8695aa.jpg

VietHorse have you been back to rideasia.net and checked for any replies to your post on Honda CB500X(a couple of days in the saddle) thread?

VietHorse have you been back to rideasia.net and checked for any replies to your post on Honda CB500X(a couple of days in the saddle) thread?
Hey Rob, it's nice to see you also travel there. Don't forget to give me a shout if you happen into Vietnam.

Let me make a trial to see how's riding posture should be:
DSC_0249_zps73aeae1f.jpg

DSC_0245_zpsa91d6cc2.jpg

Obviously the foot pegs should be lowered. And the gear and brake pedals would be pulled backward around 15" or so.

The guys are doing the job of making the exhausts:
DSC_0258_zpsbbb3b3a3.jpg

They said my requests are so complicated - but ****, they can do them all... :eat: :rider:
DSC_0259_zpsb4be9c38.jpg

Ok, let's continue with the customized exhaust cans.
There were two extension tubes have been added to connect from the headers to the cans, yeah, slip-on type.

DSC08850_zps4ee4f476.jpg

DSC08837_zpsc7ef873c.jpg

Here's how the cans fit to the bike:
DSC08838_zps8076b460.jpg

DSC08857_zps43289a9e.jpg

DSC08859_zps639bed6a.jpg

DSC08844_zpsab0fa5ad.jpg

Back