TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-23-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
Brit Bikes

Hello

Hi there. My name is Carol. My husband is looking for people to ride in East Texas with, when we move there.

We are looking for a club who allows British motorcycles. He has at least 40 year with a club here and would like to find another place to ride with friend who like the samething as he does.

I am sure you are wonderful people and we do love the idea of moving to Texas.

So, I'll be back to check in.
Thanks
Carol
Brit Bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:56 PM   #2
Cagiva 549

Re: Hello

Welcome to the site , hurry and get to Texas. There is a large Brit Bike club in the Houston area, They put on a big bike show and ride every spring , A good place to see some really nice bikes . Riders on this site will ride anything with two wheels, and a few with three. SEYA
05 ST3 Duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing the Geezer ride
Cagiva 549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:03 AM   #3
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

You are more than welcome here at TWT, but we're not really a club. No dues, no officers, nothing but a bunch of riding fanatics Do you know yet where you will be moving to?

Total Forum Supporter Donations For Aug: $648.07 - Previous Month: $879.01 - Record High: Feb 09 $1360.84
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:19 AM   #4
Gilk51
Pie Man v2.0 (retired)
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit Bikes
We are looking for a club who allows British motorcycles.
If you are talking Triumph, there is an active RAT group in Ft. Worth that meets at EuroSportCycle on the east side (SH121 and Riverside).

Like TM says, we are not a club, we have riders of all kinds of bikes, and a "Meet & Greet" usually has a wide mix - Brit, Japanese, Domestic, Italian, German - even scooters!

Now if we could just get them to all speak English...

Gilk51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 07:53 AM   #5
Chirpy

Howdy!

Oh, and after talking to someone who moved here from California to the Dallas area...let me go ahead and offer your husband condolences

Hope he likes straight lines

So I'm looking through the Constitution, trying to figure out where the Congress has the power to regulate light bulbs...
Chirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Photojojo

I think there is usually a Norton group or some kind of brit show around Lake Tawakoni every year. I've never been so I'm just going on the word of someone who said they went once or something . I did see a nice Triumph in the back of a truck on my last trip to East Texas so odds are looking good for you.

2002 K1200LT
1998 ST1100 (gone)
1993 BMW GSPD (gone)
2005 KTM 400 EXC (gone)
2004 ZRX 1200 (gone)
2001 XR650R (gone)
1993 DR350 (gone)
1978 BMW R100 (gone)
1984 BMW R80RT (gone)
1993 KLR650 (gone)
Photojojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:04 AM   #7
STrider

Welcome Brit Bikes! Glad to have some more brit bike riders coming on, we gotta do something to take all these new KLR riders down a notch.

Where in California, and what part of East Texas? There's a handful of other CA transplants here too, myself included. Texas is great, but try not to snicker when they tell you that YOU talk funny.

Oh, and Chirpy's right. Get your fill of curves while you're out there. The best ones within any reasonable distance here are on-ramps.
STrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #8
wonder91178

Welcome! And what Gilk51 said, Eurosport Cycle in Bedford only sells European bikes (well, they have Japanese ones and whatnot in their 'used' area) and the owners are some of the nicest people around.

http://www.eurosportcycle.com/

They have Triumph, Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Ducati, etc....

Burleson Mafia - Capo Famiglia

On bike hiatus...
wonder91178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 08:47 AM   #9
BigRoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmw
I think there is usually a Norton group or some kind of brit show around Lake Tawakoni every year. I've never been so I'm just going on the word of someone who said they went once or something . I did see a nice Triumph in the back of a truck on my last trip to East Texas so odds are looking good for you.
NTNOA-(North Texas Norton Owners Association) holds the Lake 'o' the Pines rally. http://www.ntnoa.org/05loprecap.htm
BigRoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #10
scratch
User's account inactive by request

Quote:
Originally Posted by STrider
...Texas is great, but try not to snicker when they tell you that YOU talk funny.
Well, it's the truth!

It's good to have you here, Carol - hope you and your hubby enjoy Texas!
scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:40 AM   #11
Brit Bikes

Thank you. You are all so nice. It excites me that hubby will find friends that love what he loves. Joe and I are in our 60's so it is going to be a big move for us. We also love dogs so we are bring 8 of them.

We live in Apple Valley. The High Desert. We would like to move to areas like Tyler, Longview, Ore City. The east part. If you know of areas where we can find a nice house with 5 or so acres, let us know. We would just like to stay around areas that are green. The Desert as you know has NO GREEN anything. We don't know the area that well but have talked to a few people.

I don't think hubby minds at all not being in a club. People is who he likes.
So thank you so much for the warm welcome. I'll have Joe come on and talk with all of you now that I opened the door. Thanks for being there. I was starting to wonder if we would ever find riders in East Texas.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:11 PM   #12
txbanditrydr

Regardless of where you settle in to East Texas you won't be more than 5 minutes from some really nice roads. Maybe not as technical as Arkansas twisties but still fun with rolling hills, pine trees and not much traffic. One warning word about our roads here.... "chipseal" - watch for it and respect it. It's everywhere and some places are better/worse than others.

We have a small but growing contingent of riders in the Tyler/Longview area that will gather for weekend rides on occasion. We have begun a rotating location for our East Texas Meet & Greet (ETMG) on the second Thursday of each month and have dinner while sharing some true and not so true stories - be sure to check out the Upcoming Rides section for more details a couple of weeks in advance.

Again.... Welcome to the site and keep us posted on your arrival.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:16 PM   #13
toliver

A few years ago I knew of someone that had a Blueberry Farm for sale with home just West of Avinger ( East of Ore City ). I'm not sure if he sold it or not. It actually had a small guest house and a larger main home. I will research and see if I can find our if he sold it. He actually held an annual 4th of July Blueberry rally.

Tom
toliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #14
toliver

I found it. A little more than 5 acres though.

http://www.texasblueberryfarm.com/
Old 02-24-2006, 03:21 PM   #15
toliver

This is just a few miles to where the annual British bike rally is held at the Lake of the Pines.

Tom
Old 02-25-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Brit Bikes

Well, that looks like a beautiful place but I think it is probable out of our price range. What in the world would we do with all that land? It looks like a lot of hard work. Thank you anyway. Do you know what they are asking for it?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:24 AM   #17
toliver

I do not know the asking price but the web site has the contact information.

Tom
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #18
Chirpy

Remember, 5 acres with two houses is less than a 2500 sq ft house on a postage stamp in California...you might be surprised as to what you can afford!

So I'm looking through the Constitution, trying to figure out where the Congress has the power to regulate light bulbs...
Chirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 09:17 AM   #19
toliver

Wow, I just got an email back on the 40 Acres with 2 houses and Blueberry Farm. $325,000. What a deal. Unfortunately they have a contract on it at this time. They said they would keep me posted on whether it goes through.

Tom
Old 02-26-2006, 09:20 AM   #20
Brit Bikes

Wow, that is a deal. Someone is going to reallybe happy with it.

Thanks Tom

Last edited by Brit Bikes; 02-26-2006 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo