• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Caprock Canyon Enduro Report

Reaction score
Always wanted to visit the Rock and what better way to tour it than to ride through it! The dirt crew this weekend was Amber, Uwe, Robby, Gary, Virginia, Joyce and I. We all stayed at the same rustic lodge in Quitaque. Saturday brought exitement just short of Turkey Tx as we saw 7-8 turkies and then 6 mule deer in a canyon.

There were ~500 riders that raced the enduro on Sunday and after going through the first test section I soon realized why. The terrain changed to absolutely beautiful, we rode through TPWD sections that are off limits to any form of motorized transport, that is unless you are in this enduro. There were hills, ravines, super tight sections throughout the race. Conditions and traction were perfect, could not have timed this event better.

Uwe, Robby and I were on row 97, Amber was on 94 and Gary was 76. Uwe lead the way with Robby right at his tail and me bringing up the rear. With Uwe keeping time, there were no blown checks this time around. An enduro experience gets waay better when you do it the right way and Uwe did the math for all of us while providing riding tips throughout the race. Definitely felt improvement in my riding. Met up with Amber throughout the race at resets, saw Gary at the pit/gas stop 30 miles into the race. He was looking for our pit crew comprising of Virginia and Joyce but they got lost somewhere and arrived after we had gassed up and left.

There were longer tighter sections after the pit stop, I think it was check 9 where the most time was lost, followed by a 60mph fast section with big wide whoops for some serious air time then onto a FM road for 2-3 miles and finally to the last test section that was mx style with never ending figure 8's onto the last check. It is pretty typical to crash at least 2-3 times in an enduro or for that matter any day while riding dirt, this time I did not drop it even once, know it will be a tough record to match in the future events and maybe it's a hint that pace can be picked up a notch :-P

Amber's buddy Ginny King handed out some energy gel packs and electrolyte capsules. These work wonders and there were no cramps in this event. In fact I was no where nearly as fatigued as previous events, it was a 60 mile blast. Off to the next event :flip:

Oh and we (Uwe, Robby and I) entered the challenge team contest, the name's Team Fart Fart :lol2:

Cool! How did you do? Sounds like the Enduro thing has really bitten you good :lol2:

I dropped a total of 54 points, the A riders were anywhere from 25-45 range. I dont know how but after 4 races I am in #2 spot in my class. Here is a much more professional ride report by Uwe Uwe's Report

40+ C
Place TSCEC Name SC SWMC CON PEA NAC RRDR TRH LTR WTB1 WTB2 Total
1 575 Frank Ford 20 20 20 20 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 80
2 464 Faisal Khan 19 16 18 14 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 67
3 570 Travis Hamer 0D 17 19 15 0D 0 0 0 0 0 51
4 364 Chris Smith 11 18 0D 16 0D 0 0 0 0 0 45
5 951 Mike Bartay 12 15 17 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 0 44
6 539 Rob Kitchens 0D 19 0D 17 0 0 0 0 0 0 36
7 776 Kurt Lichtenberger 0D 9 0D 19 0 0 0 0 0 0 28
8 912 Mike Walker 18 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 18
9 415 Scott Campbell 0D 0D 0 18 0 0 0 0 0 0 18
10 931 Kelly Kirkland 0D 0D 0 13 0 0 0 0 0 0 13

letsride said:
I dropped a total of 54 points, the A riders were anywhere from 25-45 range. I dont know how but after 4 races I am in #2 spot in my class. Here is a much more professional ride report by Uwe Uwe's Report

40+ C
Place TSCEC Name SC SWMC CON PEA NAC RRDR TRH LTR WTB1 WTB2 Total
1 575 Frank Ford 20 20 20 20 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 80
2 464 Faisal Khan 19 16 18 14 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 67
3 570 Travis Hamer 0D 17 19 15 0D 0 0 0 0 0 51
4 364 Chris Smith 11 18 0D 16 0D 0 0 0 0 0 45
5 951 Mike Bartay 12 15 17 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 0 44
6 539 Rob Kitchens 0D 19 0D 17 0 0 0 0 0 0 36
7 776 Kurt Lichtenberger 0D 9 0D 19 0 0 0 0 0 0 28
8 912 Mike Walker 18 0D 0D 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 18
9 415 Scott Campbell 0D 0D 0 18 0 0 0 0 0 0 18
10 931 Kelly Kirkland 0D 0D 0 13 0 0 0 0 0 0 13

Ok, I will admit, I have never done an enduro, but it sounds like fun.

Can someone explain the basic premise and maybe some of the terminology? KC? Reset?

yep , all my 1st places came by just toodling along and having a good time , all of my lesser finishes were because i got in a hurry , i cant remember ever being late at a check , oh ya , i stopped once to water the lilies and my bike fell over ! and stalled ! and i leaked on me and it flooded and i was 2 minutes late at the next checkpoint and got laughed at at the end of it by the 6 or so guys and 1 girl that saw the whole thing or at least the embarrassing part , but all in all i always had fun and got a lot more " seat time " than motocross or flat track or roadracing , ive been trying to convince my dad that we should have an annual enduro out here on the ranch , 500 acres with some small hills and a river should be enough for some interesting loops with cyprus knees and mesquite thorns and gopher holes thrown in for free to make it exciting ! oh well he says he dont want a bunch of motorcycle hooligans tearing up the place !

I know from racing mountain bikes for years that just being consistent and showing up to the races will get you up in the standings.

kc69 said:
Working/living on a ranch in EAST BARNYARD , lots of twisties out here , over a mile of gravel road to getr out o here , dual sport concours eh?

Where are the twisties around East Bernard?

If I had a 500 acre ranch, I would have dirt bikes. When it became necessary to haul my bike someplace to ride it, that is when I sold it.

Let me know when you want to show me the twisties, I can be there in about 20 minutes. Unless there is a hurricane coming to town. We can meet at Riverside Hall.

the 250's a re great bikes...providing you wanna do topends every 30 odd hours. Make you a great deal on an '03 rmz250. fresh motor too. :D

mrr1150gs said:
So, back to the enduro riding. What works best, light weight 4 stoke dirt bike? Like maybe a 250?

In my opinion a 200-300cc 2 stroke is the way to go. Kick starting a 2 stroke is much much easier (any angle, any gear, light force on kick) as compared to a modern 4 stroke (has to be upright + in neutral + comp release pulled in + higher force needed to turn motor + 5-6 kicks needed). Not to say that I happen to have such a machine for sale :-P
2002 KX250

You guys are killin me. I want to try some enduros out in a bad way. but I'm broke and I think the KLR might not be the best bike for the job.

Never fear I will get out there eventually.

Faisal,

I was REALLY hoping to make the Caprock! It sounds like you guys had a blast.

As soon as my Mz sells, I have got to get my hands on that '02 KX250.

One way or another I will be racing before this season is over.

Cheers,

tp

Why a topend every 30 hours? I assume you mean a 250 two stroke.

I would love to buy one right now, but I am currently underemployed. I think if I brought a new bike home, it would send the wrong message to the rest of the family about financial conservation.

Chris:

The factory recomendation on 4stroke 250's is piston replacement every 30 hours. (NO dealer in my exp. will tell you this if you ask "before" you buy either strangely)They recomend valve checks every other race(or about 6 hours) too boot. Something about lighter materials to enable the quick revving motor. I love the bike...I just prefer to have my toys as maintenance free as possible. I'm one of those guys who hates wrenching on toys when I could be out riding them. That's why I bought an xr. It's a pig comparatively...but it needs precious little maintenance. ;)

I am with you. I don't mind tinkering when there is nothing else to do, but I would rather ride than work on bikes.

I was real close to buying a street legal KTM dirt bike a couple of years ago, the guy told me you had to change the oil every 4 hours of use. That would mean basically every other day for commuting to work. I said thanks but no thanks.

Faisal:

Pfft! Both my 4strokes are a breeze to start. You just have to learn the tricks. Oddy enough though, you need not worry much about starting ability if you do not fall off the bike so much. :P

I had a '76 XL 350 that was pretty hard to kick, but if you got a good kick on it, it would fire right up. One time, I got it stuck in Clear Creek down in Pearland, the mud was so tenacious, it sucked the sole off of my boot. Which boot you ask, the right one of course. I had a heck of a time kicking that thing with my left foot.

DT tires were quickly replaced with full knobbies. Better to dig to China with.

Cool I had the same bike in my HS days (XL 350), thats when I realized that my previous bike 1978 Suzuki TS250 2 stroke was a breeze :mrgreen: . The air cooled 4 strokes are waay easier to start than the modern water cooled high performance machines ie 450 cc mxers.
If I ever go 4 stroke (highly unlikely) but if such a day were to arise, my 4 stroke will have the majic button. I have kicked hot 450cc's to life and it aint fun. Plus they puke in the summer while the 2 strokes run coool.

Tom (MZrider),
Sure thing, chances are high that the 02 is staying right where it is so you can pick it up anytime. BTW we're heading out to Muenster tomorrow, same time/place.

Loweed,
"Oddy enough though, you need not worry much about starting ability if you do not fall off the bike so much. :P" You're the expert at this, you should know better :) Better start wrenching dude, I'm waking you up @ 7AM tomorrow.

Great report Faisal!:clap: This was a great enduro, the funnest one I have done so far. The next one is going to be a sandy whoop mess though.

Oh as far as the 4 stroke vs. the 2 stroke. Go try each one out. Drop both of them a few times and then restart them. You will see which one you like better.

Boom, thats me in your avatar standing next to your fart fart @ the Caprock gas stop. I am not running the next 2 Sabine division races, going for the Championship division Cycleland Enduro on 5/7 then onto the main event, Red River Enduro. Need a break to do normal stuff like ride street, go fishing, go shooting, and mow yard :) You running the Sabine Enduros?

letsride said:
Boom, thats me in your avatar standing next to your fart fart @ the Caprock gas stop. I am not running the next 2 Sabine division races, going for the Championship division Cycleland Enduro on 5/7 then onto the main event, Red River Enduro. Need a break to do normal stuff like ride street, go fishing, go shooting, and mow yard :) You running the Sabine Enduros?

You will really like the Cycleland Race. It is an awsome place to ride. Just be ready for some sand. The have done alot of logging recently and the sand had really been stirred up.

Hope to see ya there

Back