• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Good Friday Dirt Road explorin' report

dbdolan

Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Dolan
Well I got tired of sitting around the house and really didn't feel like doing any yard work so I went out exploring today on this good Friday. Took my usuall route from my house on Kuykendahl to Hufsmith over to 2978 to Dobbin-Hufsmith which comes out on spur 149, jumped over to FM 149 and North into Montgomery. Gassed up at the Texaco and took 105 West to Dobbin to 1486 and headed North and found CR 212.
DSride4-14-06001.jpg

Then made my way to CR 215 and to the Waller Cemetery
DSride4-14-06004.jpg

Stayed on CR 215 heading West as it crosses 1774 and continued to CR 446 to CR 406 to CR 409 still heading West where it comes out on 90. Here are a few pics from those County Roads.
DSride4-14-06006.jpg

DSride4-14-06008.jpg

DSride4-14-06010.jpg

DSride4-14-06014.jpg

DSride4-14-06019.jpg

Took 90 North up to Anderson,TX. and headed back West on 149 to CR 185 which takes you to FM 3090 north up to CR 190.
DSride4-14-06022.jpg

DSride4-14-06023.jpg

DSride4-14-06024.jpg

DSride4-14-06026.jpg

CR 190 through the Lignite fields to CR 192 and out to Highway 30. This is where I ran into another KLR rider named Scott who was going into the lignite fields as I was heading out. He lives in Bryan, TX and was also out just riding.
DSride4-14-06028.jpg

Went Highway 30 West to CR 175 North to CR 172 back West and tried to find some roads from here but ended up not finding them and came out on 244 and back to Carlos, TX. and the headed back to Montgomery from there. Almost got lost a few times, I don't have a GPS so I was just winging it. I traveled about 210 miles and had a good time, it was a really nice day.

Great report/pics! Riding with others is great, but there is something about exploring solo, isn't there?

Great Post !
Nice pictures, but I like East Texas;-)
I hope Scott you met on the KLR finds his way here to the sight.

Yeah Danny there is nothing like going out for a solo ride to adjust your attitude. Hey Hairsmith and Danny when are you guy's up there going to invite us up for a east Texas DS exploring expedition?:trust: I love riding up there, I have been wanting to ride up and do some Caddo Indian burial sight seeing. Yeah the rider named Scott that I ran into out on my stroll, was ex-military guy and was super nice. I tried to assimilate him to the site but I was out of TWT cards, so I hope he remembers to look us up.

Nice report DB... Sign me up the next time you head that way, Although I reserve the right to not try climbing that rocky hillside for the photo op!

You get too many days off..... We were allowed to go home after lunch, so I wound up doing the yard work Friday afternoon.

Mark and I went to SHNF on Sunday and while he and his friend did single track, I explored the Service roads, but only the main ones were open because they are control burning again. His friend has this cool old truck he's rebuilding and backed it up into one of the large pine trees, didn't hurt the tree but now he needs a new fender. Here's a pic.
truck.jpg

Bryan, great report and neat pics! I want to get on my KLX but it's 1:20AM and my wife would have me put in a padded room if I took off on my bike right now. LOL

Irondawg and I did some nighttime DS riding shortly after I bought the GS and had installed some big HELLA lights for better visibility. It was fun. I used to do a lot of night riding on the VFR's, they had awesome headlights!

Back